Author Topic: Bama versus Frazetta versus Gogos! Whom do you prefer?  (Read 9628 times)

seed_murda

• Sergeant
Re: Bama versus Frazetta versus Gogos! Whom do you prefer?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 11:20:32 PM »
I love all three, but I had to go with gogos... His work is just simply amazing.  I would have bama at a close second with franzetta in third.
"A man who limits his interests limits his life."
Vincent Price

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »
BAD KITTY...BAD KITTY.   IMPOSSIBLE POLL, the Universe might explode.

Heeeee, heeee, heeeee! I've enjoyed sewing the seed of consternation, stupefaction and distress among my fellow posters.

And this one is close! Only a single vote separates first from dead last so get your votes in to make sure your idol doesn't get left in the dust.

hmjfym
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:13:06 PM by Hepcat »
Collecting! It's what I do!

Unknown Primate

• Sergeant
  • Legend of Wildcat Creek
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 11:44:39 AM »
I love all three (surprise!) and each one brings up a different vibe with me.  Bama and his Aurora depictions are the most iconic images of The Monsters for myself.  The spookiness and unforgettable brilliance of color stands out to me so much - just monster greatness!

Frazetta's interpretations & style have always fascinated me, and after buying a couple of his books in the 70's and seeing the 2003 documentary on Frank, PAINTING WITH FIRE, it sealed the deal.

Gogos and his more "realistic" touch - it's like the monsters were sitting for him, taking breaks so they could go out and drink someone's blood or something.  It's guys like he, Mike Bennett & Daniel Horne, that just blow my frazzled mind.

That said, for the Uni-Monsters, Bama's my favorite.

But, I still voted for FF.  His work has mesmerized me for so long.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:44:08 PM by Unknown Primate »
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

monsterphile

• Sergeant Major
  • UMA member since September 29, 2003
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »
I like Bama, especially because of his association with the Aurora models, but Gogos did so many great FM covers that I love more than the model box artwork.  My vote, however, went to Frazetta.  His art is something beyond the others.  His form and technique simply astound me.  Even a rough pencil sketch is so fluid and captivating. 

I would love to won an original piece by any of them , of course, but that's not likely to happen.  Also, there are some great current artists, many who are members here, whose work I adore.  Oh, if only I had unlimited walls for all the prints that I'd love to hang up.

Rob

Illoman

• Sergeant
    • Peel the Paint
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »
I like Bama, especially because of his association with the Aurora models, but Gogos did so many great FM covers that I love more than the model box artwork.  My vote, however, went to Frazetta.  His art is something beyond the others.  His form and technique simply astound me.  Even a rough pencil sketch is so fluid and captivating. 

I would love to won an original piece by any of them , of course, but that's not likely to happen.  Also, there are some great current artists, many who are members here, whose work I adore.  Oh, if only I had unlimited walls for all the prints that I'd love to hang up.

Rob

Rob, I'd love to own an original too. I can say I have all three artist's autographs, though!!  ;D

BlackLagoon

• Sergeant
  • Halloween Hammer
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 10:01:50 PM »
This is borderline impossible. It's like asking me what I like better water or air.

I went with Gogos because to me, his illustrations are the definitive look of the characters we know and love. Bama and Frazetta have done nothing short of genius work--but for my own personal tastes--when I see Gogos do Frankenstein I just think that is exactly how the monster looks. Whereas I see Bama and Frazetta and I feel it's their interpretation..follow me??

Having said all of that--Bama's work to me is something I can walk around in and touch. Those colors and the backgrounds. I always want to know "what's going on back there?" It's like I can look at the Aurora boxes and in my imagination get this panoramic image of what else might be going on in that scene, that the main artwork is just a small piece of Bama's incredible monster-verse.

Ultimately all 3 of these guys play a huge roll in keeping the kid in me alive and well.....I'm still stunned whenever I see something from the 3 of them.
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

Illoman

• Sergeant
    • Peel the Paint
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 10:03:33 PM »

Ultimately all 3 of these guys play a huge roll in keeping the kid in me alive and well.....I'm still stunned whenever I see something from the 3 of them.

BlackLagoon: truer words were never spoken, my friend!!

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
It was tough, but I did it.  Never ask me to do it again.   :D

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 08:00:54 AM »
Heeeee. heeeee, heeeee! Giggle!

;)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »
There continues to be only a one vote spread between first and last in this poll. Here are a few more pictures for those of you still unable to make up your minds:

James Bama

Frank Frazetta

Basil Gogos

8)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:34:10 PM by Hepcat »

Illoman

• Sergeant
    • Peel the Paint
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »
Wow, Hepcat, upload fail!! You posted a Gray Morrow! LOL!!!  :o

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »
Whoops! Sorry! Fixed now.

;)

Scary Terry

• Sergeant
    • Scary Terry's World
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »
Love 'em all.  Refuse to choose.

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 04:56:30 PM »
This is why some cultures eat cats. I chose Gogos.........but I'm going to register as 2 other sock puppet posters and vote for Bama and Frazetta too. Geez, I feel like I just cheated on my wife.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »
....and Frazetta pulls into the lead! Frank Frazetta was the epitome of cool. I think the man was the best artist who ever lived. Not only that, he was an awesome athlete. He could have played major league basesball, and he threw a mean punch. Frazetta did, and always will, RULE!  8)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...