Author Topic: UMA Chat Room  (Read 3430 times)

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
UMA Chat Room
« on: June 03, 2012, 07:54:35 AM »
We now have a new board dedicated strictly to chitchat (aka- chat room). This new chat room is an expansion of our previously used chat feature known as a shout box. I looked into several chat room options, but none allowed for integration with our registered members and would have required members to sign in with new a user id, etc. Not having the integration would have created confusion and a cloak of anonymity to the user experience, so I decided to stick with what works. 

The shout box has always been found on the main forum index page towards the top left. Having it there was convenient for members to view the current shouts at any time. Having a larger chat room at a dedicated chat board inside our forum prevents us from having the same visibility of the previous shout box. And it doesn't make sense to continue on with both chat features - at least I don't think so.  You may also notice there's a new option enabled that allows members to see who's viewing a certain board at any given time. This was enabled so members can see who's inside the chat room and therefore might be willing to participate in the chat. You may find that option towards the bottom of the chat room message box. At the other boards that same option is found towards the top of the board.

A couple other things about chatting at UMA:

* guests may view a chat, but can't participate unless they register as an official member.

* chatting at UMA is subject to the same terms of service as any of our other boards. Flaming and spamming is NOT allowed.  You will be banned for said violations! The chat room is moderated.   

Finally, this chat feature is still in beta mode and is being refined for a better user experience. We are open to suggestions for improvements, so please feel free to comment with your input.

Link to chat room - http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?board=46.0
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
Re: UMA Chat Room
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 09:14:43 AM »
New options available with the chat room is the ability to share pics as well as additional text features (scrolling, glowing, colors, bold, etc.).

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »
I'm still exploring and developing a more refined chat room experience. Our current Shout Box chat feature isn't a true chat room in that it doesn't allow for instant refresh of incoming messages. The only way the Shout Box is refreshed is when you leave a certain page and then come back to it (or go to another). This is known as a "manual refresh." A true chat room shouldn't be dependent on performing manual refreshes of one's browser. True chat rooms should refresh with each incoming post.

Please feel free to explore an all new chat room that I'm currently developing for the UMA. It's still in beta mode, so please be patient as things change by the day.

Here's the link - http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/phpfreechat-1.4/login/login.php

Dr.Teufel Geist

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:20:38 PM »
how come it wont let me enter?

Sly Wolf

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 01:16:41 PM »
I SAY

Chatroom is quite empty today...
Collecting? It's what I do!