TRON discussion

Started by BlackLagoon, June 02, 2012, 11:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackLagoon

Is anyone here a fan of the films and franchise?? While I enjoyed the original I absolutely loved Legacy.

Yes there are a few holes in the plot but overall I thought the film was great fun, stunning to look at and the soundtrack by Daft Punk was damn near mind blowing. I understand a 3rd film is in the works and I'm curious as to how this is going to work out.....will Kevin Flynn be back? How? Did CLU survive? How will Quorra fare here outside the Grid?

The upcoming animated series "Tron: Uprising" will be out soon and will hopefully pick up where Legacy left off. Also for anyone who likes comic books and Tron I highly recommend checking out "Tron: Betrayal". This is the TPB that came with the blu ray when purchased from TRU. I'm sure you can still score one somewhere. The 1st part is basically a very short comic adaption of the original film, written much like a Gospel reading from the Bible. The rest of it is the bridge between the original film and Legacy. It sheds much light on the idea of the Iso's, alot of Flynn's personal life and his connection with Tron and most importantly very, very subtle changes in CLU........in fact by the time I was done reading it I had noticed the story of Lucifer's fall from grace really mirroring the Flynn/Clu storyline.

Here's hoping Uprising and the next film are a good time!
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

Howler

I love both movies and you're right Daft Punk really took the movie to another level. If you have a regular Xbox check out the game TRON 2.0 Killer APP. It's pretty sweet, though I haven't made it very far in the actual game because I spent most of my time playing light cycle challenges. The story line is almost like the second movie, but the game came out years ago. This time though Alan's son Jet get brought into the computer world and you play as him. I'm looking forward to what the third movie will bring to the Tron Universe.  8)
"That ain't tactics honey. That's just the beast in me."

neonnoodle

Yes, I enjoy both films, maybe the first one more than the 2nd because I thought the 2nd film was a little convoluted in the dialogue department.  But I always felt that the Tron universe was more a "thing" than a story, and I watch the films for what the "thing" is rather than for where the story goes.

I liked the idea that the server-universe had been percolating within itself for 30 years or so, so the world we see in the sequel has developed, changed and evolved.  Yes, the Daft Punk soundtrack is truly awesome (sounded wild in a big theatre with a huge sound system!).  It was good to see Jeff Bridges return to his character(s) again, and the two new young leads were fun.
Beautiful moving, shifting colors!

See TRANSLUCE: Rainbow Meditation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aqIhYI_Q

BlackLagoon

Hey Howler I actually have it on PS3 and ended up getting the "deluxe edition" which came with the Light Cycle display from Sideshow Toys the lights up.....I'm at the 2nd to the last level and I haven't wanted to put my fist through a TV so bad in a long time......that is not easy!!! Damn! The Light Cycle stuff was great but I thought the Light Tanks were the icing on the cake. The sound of the cannons and the vibrations in the controller during that sequence make it pretty awesome!

In the game there is alot of back story but it kind of contradicts what the comic Betrayal had going on. Being that the comic is done by Disney and it mentions new characters which I hope appear in Uprising......I'm going with that story.

I also had Tron 2.0 years ago for PC. That was a great upgrade as far as the looks went...too bad it didn't do too much for the franchise.

Anyway this looks like it will be worth the wait!

TRON: Uprising (2012) TV Series Trailer
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

Howler

That does look pretty cool.  8)
"That ain't tactics honey. That's just the beast in me."

Zackuth

I have been a fan of Tron since I saw it back when it was released.  As I remember I saw the movie twice.  I also like Legacy.  Yes, they are not perfect movies, but enjoyable. 
"Listen to them; the children of the night.  What music they make!"  Dracula

neonnoodle

Oh yeah--I liked the "Tron Tunnel" section of the Peoplemover ride at Disneyland.  Sadly, long gone and they don't seem interested in reopening the Peoplemover again.  But the vehicle would take you into a tunnel that was mainly a curved projection screen, and they projected scenes from Tron on this.  It really made you feel like you were inside the movie!

BlackLagoon

Neon I've never been there but it sounds like it was a good time.

I wonder if Disney will reincorporate Tron themes back into the park if the popularity in the franchise grows a bit?

BlackLagoon

Hey guys Tron Uprising premieres tonight (*at*) 9 est on Disney XD...finally! Some action on the Grid!

charp13

I thought it was a pretty good show! I really liked the fact that there was a lot of light cycle action, and I liked the main characters' voices. I am a really big Tron fan- old and new movies- and I liked the animated series enough to keep watching future episodes  :)

BlackLagoon

I just watched the 1st episode of Uprising and thought it was really very good! I'm actually pleasantly suprised at how it turned out!

I love the art, it really looks unique and all it's own. They're fleshing out the character depth pretty darn good for a 1st episode and there is plenty of action...plus it really looks and feels like Tron. During the final Light Cycle scene the variation of the Tron Theme was really very cool.

I'm just not sure exactly when this takes place. After Legacy? Though the ending of that led me to believe the Grid was all gone with no survivors....I'm thinking after the 1st movie and before Legacy. There is no sign of Kevin Flynn. So with that Tron was corrupted and turned into Rinzler and Clu's right hand man when he came into power...at the end of Legacy he turned against Clu and said "I fight for the user." died saving Sam, Kevin and Quorra and at his death switched back to Blue and died......as Tron.

Here Tron is supposed to be dead but we see him actually training Beck to be the next Tron. So....am I assuming the Grid survived at the end of Legacy, Tron isn't dead, Clu's army still exists and Tron is still playing dead and letting everyone think he is before this...Uprising?

Either way I'm hoping the next few episodes will shed a little light on this. Or it may very well be it's own storyboard all together--which I'm ok with too. Good stuff, great cast and here's hoping they release some cool 3 3/4 figures in Uprising likeness (because the Legacy figures kinda sucked!...though...I have them all because I am a giant flippin' dork  :))

Haunted hearse

Quote from: neonnoodle on June 03, 2012, 02:49:51 PM
Oh yeah--I liked the "Tron Tunnel" section of the Peoplemover ride at Disneyland.  Sadly, long gone and they don't seem interested in reopening the Peoplemover again.  But the vehicle would take you into a tunnel that was mainly a curved projection screen, and they projected scenes from Tron on this.  It really made you feel like you were inside the movie!
The People mover was a nice feature at Disneyland, and the Tron Tunnel was a good touch. All that went away, when Disney brought in "Rocket Rods".  Rocket Rods didn't last, but I think Disney wouldn't find it cost effective to bring back the People Mover.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

neonnoodle

I liked the Peoplemover a lot...a day at Disneyland includes a lot of standing in line and walking around and around, and like the Disneyland Railroad, the Peoplemover was a languid scenic ride that gave you a little while to relax and enjoy a cool breeze.  That Tron Tunnel section was brief, you were in there maybe for a minute, but it looked very neat and gave some much-needed representation to the Tron movie without requiring a serious semi-permanent ride installation. 

As far as I know, the Peoplemover tracks are still there, and I have hope that maybe someday someone over there will come to their senses and bring the Peoplemover back.

Haunted hearse

Disney has removed a lot of the transportaion around the park, especially after hours.  They won't run the Train when there are fireworks, the skybuckets which took you from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland are gone, and they shut down Main Street Transportation after dark.  When I was younger, it was nice to be able to ride down Main St., when you were leaving the park.  Now even getting to and from the parking lot is a massive chore.   The people mover was a nice way to overlook Tomorrowland, from the comfort of the ride vehicle.  "Rocket Rods" was a bad idea that deserved a quick demise.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?