What song brings you to tears ??

Started by TheWolfman, May 27, 2012, 11:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlhenderson

Quote from: BlackLagoon on May 28, 2012, 03:47:07 AM
That is uncanny that you said that!! I was going to say more about Jingle Bells but I thought I had said enough. My mother had that on one of her Christmas compliations as a kid and I swear on everything I think it gave me panic attacks. While I'm a huge Christmas fan, I'm fairly sure that song could suck the life out of every elf in the North Pole.

I swear on my grandmother's nativity scene........that song is 100% pure concentrated evil. It's like the "Anti-Christmas".

LOL!  ;D

dlhenderson

I may be nuts, but Over and Glory Box by Portishead get me.
Also, Anywhere Out of the World by Dead Can Dance.

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Sir Masksalot

I've reviewed this thread with great interest but my reply will be the weirdest of all: there's a Stevie Wonder song
that brings me to tears of sadness every time it plays. Most ironically, the song is titled "Overjoyed". Go figure ...

Mord

Just about everything on the radio, these days, brings me to tears (for all the wrong reasons).

marsattacks666

Not one song brings me tears. Not even, Tears for Fears😉🎃
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mike Scott

"Mother Machree" (Me and all the other lads down at The Drunken Dick.)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

Quote from: Mord on March 04, 2020, 07:00:31 PMJust about everything on the radio, these days, brings me to tears (for all the wrong reasons).

That was my first thought too. So bad that...?

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

This one seemed to do the trick for me when I was a kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlbS0JNFMIM#

This one by the Scorpions dealing with the fall of the Berlin Wall choked me up because of the stark reminder of how lucky I'd been to have been born in Canada in the 1950's in stark contrast to the experience of so many others including my own parents:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4RjJKxsamQ#

Kiss Me Goodbye by Petula Clark is also a tear jerker. Here's a particularly good rendition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKgya3b9aa8

cl:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Rex fury

Pink Floyd  the entire "Dark Side Of The Moon" always gets me. However, it's one of the few entire albums that I can listen to over and over again without getting tired of it. The song lyrics really emphasize the futility of a life lived stuck in a dystopian working class society. The song "Us And Them"  is especially potent for me : "...forward he cried from the rear, and the front rank died. And the generals sat, and the lines on the map moved from side to side"
RF

Haunted hearse

"Honey (I miss you)" As a widower, it is a song about remembering a loved one who's passed on.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

geezer butler

Quote from: Haunted hearse on March 14, 2020, 12:01:29 AM
"Honey (I miss you)" As a widower, it is a song about remembering a loved one who's passed on.

Sorry to hear that Haunted hearse. Keep your spirits up. 

geezer butler

I'm not sure if any music literally makes me cry, but some songs come close. I really enjoy listening to melancholic compositions. Classic examples include Bach  BWV 988 (Goldberg variation), Chopin Nocturne in C-Sharp minor, Vivaldi Sposa son disprezzata, and of course Beethoven's midnight sonata.

In terms of modern music "Asleep" by the Smiths is one of the most depressing songs I can think of. I love it (and the band), just saying it's not very cheerful.

Another beautifully sad composition from a modern group is "13 Angels Standing Guard 'Round the Side of Your Bed" by Mt. Zion. The track is from their concept record "He Has Left Us Alone." The concept album is dedicated to one of the members' dogs who sadly crossed the rainbow bridge. Contemplating the loss of our fury friends definitively chokes me up.

Wicked Lester

Unchained Melody... reminds me of my late wife.

Wolfman

To Sir, With Love - Lulu
Kiss Me Goodbye - Petula Clark
Have A Good Time - Sue Thompson
That Sunday, That Summer- Nat King Cole

JP