Which monster cereals do you like the best?

Started by Hepcat, May 25, 2012, 07:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vintagehalloweentoys

Jeff,
You sir are the official King expert of Monster Cereals on the UMA! Amazing collection of images!

Hepcat

Quote from: Ghost on September 22, 2012, 05:36:42 AM
Some monster cereals that are missing:

Addams Family with collectible flashlights.

Ghostbusters

Gremlins

While those three are all arguably "monster" cereals, they would not have "fit" as well in this poll as either Freakies or Quisp for two reasons:

1. The above three cereals are all spun off from movies. As such they were never intended to be anything but temporary offerings unlike the ones in my poll which were hoped for long-term successes.

2. The box art of the three cereals above consists of publicity photos. My seven selections are all characterized by box graphics that are line art.

cl:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Ghost

Quote from: Hepcat on September 22, 2012, 10:26:40 PM
While those three are all arguably "monster" cereals, they would not have "fit" as well in this poll as either Freakies or Quisp for two reasons:

1. The above three cereals are all spun off from movies. As such they were never intended to be anything but temporary offerings unlike the ones in my poll which were hoped for long-term successes.

2. The box art of the three cereals above consists of publicity photos. My seven selections are all characterized by box graphics that are line art.

cl:)

1. Agree

2. Disagree only the Addams Family uses publicity photos. Ghostbusters has line art and Gremlins is a painting.

Ghost

Quote from: vintagehalloweentoys on September 22, 2012, 08:55:17 PM
Jeff,
You sir are the official King expert of Monster Cereals on the UMA! Amazing collection of images!

They are not mine. They are all stolen from the internet.

Hepcat

The medals in this one remain to be determined:

Franken Berry 19
Boo Berry 17
Count Chocula 17
Freakies 6
Fruit Brute 4

;)

vintagehalloweentoys

On Friday I finally scored some Boo Berry, and today I got a box a Franken Berry! Still have yet to find any Count Chocula :(

Haunted hearse

Quote from: vintagehalloweentoys on September 30, 2012, 09:26:51 PM
On Friday I finally scored some Boo Berry, and today I got a box a Franken Berry! Still have yet to find any Count Chocula :(
Our local Target had "Count Chocula".
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Hepcat

Count Chocula is available all year long in Toronto and therefore probably in the rest of Canada. The other monster cereals I don't remember seeing for the past twenty years anyway.

:-\

vintagehalloweentoys

Forgive me for keeping this thread alive, but I had to give my 2 cents on my Count Chocula experience I had this morning.....There were only a couple stores within about 20-25 miles from where I live that stocked the Monster Cereals this year. One store had Frankenberry and Boo Berry, but no Count Chocula. I finally found some Count Chocula, and purchased 2 boxes....One to eat now, and one to eat later (perhaps this winter or Spring). I ate the Boo Berry and Frankenberry a couple weeks ago....not as good as I remember it tasting, but still a fun treat for sure. Today I poured a bowl of Count Chocula, and it tasted pretty bad. I don't know about you guys, but I remember Count Chocula tasting like Cocoa Puffs. This stuff I had today tasted very processed and not very palatable. Have any of you also noticed that these cereals (especially Count Chocula) don't taste as good as they use to?

Hepcat

Quote from: vintagehalloweentoys on October 23, 2012, 11:36:08 PMForgive me for keeping this thread alive....

Huh?! But you're supposed to keep threads alive!

Quote from: vintagehalloweentoys on October 23, 2012, 11:36:08 PM...but I remember Count Chocula tasting like Cocoa Puffs. This stuff I had today tasted very processed and not very palatable. Have any of you also noticed that these cereals (especially Count Chocula) don't taste as good as they use to?

Cereals in Canada don't necessarily taste exactly the same as they do in the States because we have different food regulations and regulatory agencies. In fact, I suspect our cereals are often retro versions of those in the States.

That being said, the last time I had Count Chocula it tasted like I remember Cocoa Puffs tasting, although sadly Cocoa Puffs is no longer available in Canada. Neither is Trix. But Count Chocula and Lucky Charms are sold year around.

:-\

Paladin

Hepcat, I found this out while at a McDonald's in Toronto a few years ago. Distinctively different tastes.
Not a "bad" different, but different for sure.
"Traveler of both time and space..."

Opera Ghost

"In each of us, two natures are at war--the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, and one of them must conquer..."

Hepcat

Quote from: Ghost on September 22, 2012, 05:36:42 AMSome monster cereals that are missing:

Very impressive list! But (and it's a big one), the movie tie-in cereals you've suggested constitute "borrowed" themes and I have a right to expect originality at my breakfast table! No derivative characters are allowed. I expect all breakfast cereal characters to be hatched at the offices of General Mills, Kelloggs, Post, Quaker, Nabisco, Purina, etc. No Hollywood retreads allowed by this monster kid, no sireeee! I leave those to the National Enquirer crowd.

Therefore Monster Pops would be the only one from your list I'd be willing to add to my poll. By the way, do you have a box?

???

Hepcat

Quote from: Ghost on September 22, 2012, 07:46:26 PMFrom a cool blog Cereal Killers Fantasy Cereals http://idigcerealkillers.blogspot.com

You know those fantasy cereals are all so boss cool they'd sell to kids like hotcakes. Their parents would be picketing on Madison Avenue and marching on Congress demanding "something be done" though. Parents these days are like that.

;)

How's your incipient monster cereal collecting effort coming along?

???

Ghost

Quote from: Hepcat on May 15, 2013, 07:12:44 PM
Very impressive list! But (and it's a big one), the movie tie-in cereals you've suggested constitute "borrowed" themes and I have a right to expect originality at my breakfast table! No derivative characters are allowed. I expect all breakfast cereal characters to be hatched at the offices of General Mills, Kelloggs, Post, Quaker, Nabisco, Purina, etc. No Hollywood retreads allowed by this monster kid, no sireeee! I leave those to the National Enquirer crowd.

Therefore Monster Pops would be the only one from your list I'd be willing to add to my poll. By the way, do you have a box?

???

I wouldn't add Monster Pops to the poll because it is just a seasonal Halloween version of the regular Pops without a defined character. Then again General Mills Monster cereals have been seasonal in the U.S. for awhile now. I do not have a box any longer.