Author Topic: Don't you just love when they are STATUESQUE?  (Read 12539 times)

dtrav

• New Recruit
Re: Don't you just love when they are STATUESQUE?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 01:34:20 AM »
here is lon channey as phantom of the opera. .. Boris Karloff as the mummy looks great next to him..

CreepyJeff

• VP of Merchandising
    • CJ Classics
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 01:57:40 AM »
Holy...What the....THANK YOU for posting these pics.  Is there a year marked on them?  And they each say Esco?   
"Work...Finish.  Then sleep!"

dtrav

• New Recruit
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 02:19:15 AM »
yes they are all different. phantom i have in front of me. it says esco prod 1988 and it has a sticker universal studio. they are made of plaster and are about 8lbs. each.

Monster Bob

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 06:13:42 AM »

I'm seeing the pictures and I still don't believe it...as in I don't believe those are production made Escos by these pics alone.

The sculpture quality is no where near the quality of anything else Esco did, the bases are absolutely terrible (and don't look Esco, which are fairly consistent), and the paint jobs are fair at best. And a Herman Munster, too? Now I'm really skeptical...Car Kevin Burns, Where Are You? He and I have talked at length for over 20 years about all toys Munster, and I know I never heard of this one.

I used to talk to the Esco people at the gift show in Chicago every year- and never heard that these were even proposed. Gary Knox may have some insight...I remember he was ordering from Esco early on...

Not being convinced yet that they are Esco production pieces by the pics alone, let me blurt it would be easy to make/have made "Esco-esque" figures in plaster. We had a couple of old ladies in my hometown that did it in the 70s (sculpted and molded plaster stuff like this-well actually better than this) and there was one or two ladies in the next town, too. Not just owned a plaster shop, but actually produced the pieces as well. Hell, me and my brother and my Father made plaster figures and stuff (and he was a dentist!)

Knockoffs? Fantasy? The detectives need some more evidence...please post pics of the stickers/copyright information! And what is the "provenance" on these?

Monsterous thanks.

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 10:10:47 AM »
Let's take a better look with less effort. And by the way, thanks a million for the pics!

Still not sure as to what I'm looking at here exactly. In other words, this mystery is far from solved. I'm with Bob, these statues look funky when compared to the other Escos, but then again the Esco Wolf Man was very funky looking. Perhaps these are later releases or maybe even prototypes? I know the Esco Wolf Man was definitely released later than Frank, Bride, and Drac. If these are indeed real Esco statues, they certainly were sculpted by a different sculptor than the unholy three.

Can we please see more pics of the copyright stampings? And I would love to see that Herman Munster!

That Phantom is the best of the bunch. The Mummy actually looks like a Karloff caricature. Nosferatu is decent enough. And the Creature is just plain awful. I don't know if I could even display that Creature in my collection without cringing. Okay, maybe you could twist my arm.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:20:48 AM by fmofmpls »
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »
Here is a pic of the Esco Wolf Man. It certainly does haves a consistent appearance with the Esco statues in question. A bare bones base as well as a crude likeness? Hmmmm.

Monster Bob

• Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 04:57:34 PM »

The bases on these four in question are really crude, and have a distinctive pitch to the sides of the base...compare them to the Wolfman base. The 'Creature' looks outright amateuristic.  I need a lot better proof than I'm seeing here to believe these are Escos, especially "prototype Escos" (like that darn Marx "Dr. Frankenstein" supposed proto.) I'd bet on funky Mexican Esco knockoffs (like  Wolfman Poopypants) before I'd bet on an Esco Company Prototype- without proof anyway. These just don't have the sculpting/painting charactistics/qualities of the Escos I've had (Monster, Hollywood, and personality), and I've either dealt or held fifty different Esco characters in the past.

And remember-there is lots of pottery out there that says "Roseville" on it, and it looks like Roseville, but isn't. Oddly enough alot of genuine old Roseville isn't "worth" what a lot of Escos bring either...you know?

dtrav

• New Recruit
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »
ok listen, first i didn't post these up to be made as a esco maker? these along with 43 other esco statues that we have in our basement all have esco on them. the bases are the same as others and if bob was an expert like he is making him self out to be he would know that all the bases on the esco statues aren't alike. and they are all different in colors. the wolfman which we had and sold a few weeks back looked just like the ones pictured, now the frank, bride and drac do look different,(larger heads and smaller bodies) but as im looking at red skelton, george burns they look totally different then my bob hope and sinatra? im pretty sure there was more then one sculpture? so  judge all you want they do look cool and i do agree the creature is the worst. as for me making statues i can't even draw stick figures. dominic

Monster Bob

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 05:42:18 PM »

Hey, I'm no expert...more a skeptic. All I'm saying is I want to see more proof.  They are unlike any genuine Escos I have personally come into contact with. I'd still like to see the markings and Universal stickers. They should tell us alot. Can you shoot comparisons of the bases of any others (Groucho or whoever) that have a base or paint just like that... please?

dtrav

• New Recruit
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 05:52:13 PM »
ok bob here are some pics i had taken before, i can take some of the base when my pop gets home. the bases are the same in shape as moe. and here is a better pic of Nosferatu. they are all really neat statues. 

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »
I dunno. I'm starting to think these may be the real deal. It's still hard to believe though that in a monster community like ours that this has never been discovered or even discussed before until now. Really strange.

dtrav, may I ask are you a buyer, seller, or collector of Esco statues?

dtrav

• New Recruit
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 06:06:55 PM »
believe it or not i am either. my pops was a big bar collector and he had some of these in his bar in camden nj in the 60's and he just started to buy more and more. he had over 60 but now after some breaking and dropping over the years we are down to 43. i just recently sold a few. at one time he had 2 herman munsters and they were different in color there faces i remember this cause i liked the light blue face better then the green.

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 06:08:47 PM »
I like these......
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 06:31:03 PM »
It's strikes me as odd that none of these statues in question are ever mentioned at the Esco collector's forum. I did a search over there and came up bone dry with the exception of the commonly found monsters that we know exist.

Here's the forum link - http://escostatuecollectors.yuku.com/

Then there's this too -  design your own Esco statue - http://www.escostatues.com/info/custom.html

You would think there must be a definitive Esco checklist somewhere on the web, but I can't find one. 

dtrav

• New Recruit
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
 they are resin as i am told. never had one in my hands but the local cigar store has them in there shop. i guess like they use to but they are really cheap looking more cartoonish. ok here is one for ya. the wolfman. esco statue correct ?no doubts that is a rare statue and not seen that much just like the hunchback. now you have wc. fields or groucho i really think esco made a million of those but how many jfk or nixon escos do you see? im pretty sure they didn't make alot of these. the invisable man esco was on ebay last year and went for $1400. you dont see them everyday. but they are out there. this thing we call the internet helps out alot on findng rare things like these awesome monster stuff. going out tonight guys take care dom