Author Topic: New G.I Joe Movie is Postponed Until March 29th of 2013  (Read 943 times)

BlackLagoon

• Sergeant
  • Halloween Hammer
Re: New G.I Joe Movie is Postponed Until March 29th of 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:42:47 PM »
As a Joe fan of the "Real American Hero" era...this is almost a relief. The 1st one was an abomination and this seemed to follow in it's footsteps.

What I can't understand is that G.I.Joe is deeply rooted in toys. Every 80's kid knows this because of 3 things...toys, the filecards and the cartoon. Then you got older and read the Marvel comic.

So Hasbro was already pushing the new line of figures and vehicles to coincide with the film.....and now it's a year a way, financially speaking--are you freakin' kidding me?!!?! WOW! That is NUTS!!
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
  • My blood now flows through her veins!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:35:23 PM »
Paramount obviously doesn't have enough faith in the film that it will draw audiences without the added hook of 3D. The toys have already hit stores. Hasbro must be crapping bricks over this announcement. It reminds me of when LucasArts delayed the release of "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed" twice, and Hasbro went ahead and released their tie-in action figures before the game's release.
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

BigShadow

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 04:53:22 AM »
I'm an extremely huge fan of GI JOE....just picked up all the movie toys yesterday.  I really enjoyed the first movie, although it could have been much better.  I just have a hard time believing Channing Tatum is Duke.  Now Retaliation is postponed because of crappy 3-D?  3-D is such a marketing gimick and ruins the quality of films.  Now we all have to suffer because some people like 3-D?  Why not release the regular version now and the 3-D next year.  Let the 3-D people wait.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Astonishing-Eye/455521264609723

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:18:47 AM »
I personally feel it's a load of bullcrap. The movie probably tested poorly, and they're using the 3D excuse to reshoot a bunch of stuff.

Flower

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:51:56 AM »
I thought that the first G.I. Joe was fun and better than I expected it to be ... I'll go see almost anything with Bruce Willis and plan to see the new flick when it's released.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

BlackLagoon

• Sergeant
  • Halloween Hammer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 06:23:13 PM »
I'm with CZ here, I think it mustve tested poorly because this is a huge kick in the nads to Hasbro.

I didn't quite understand the first film. First of all Cobra Commander's "speech" where he was giving a brief history of his origin sounded like it was written by a four year old.

Why they chose Ripcord to be played by a black man was ridiculous. If they were after a black guy to be a part of the film....uhhhh...Stalker?? It was his team before it was Duke's to begin with. That was just a piss poor move all around. It's not even like Ripcord wasn't a major character to screw with in the 1st place...he had a HUGE arc in the Marvel run!

Then they go ahead and try to come up with backstory between the Arashikage, Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes--Snake Eyes doen't have the ability to speak because of his accident in LRRP with Scarlett and SS. So 1st, you have him as Scarlett's "protector" when in fact, save for Sunbow they've always have been a couple.

You mean to tell me a guy can join, give and take orders with the most elite para-military unit in the world---but they let the whole "vow of silence" thing slide.

Destro's mask looked like he stole it from The Phantom Creeps.

Cobra Commander was ridiculous, Zartan was laughable and the CGI looked like the 1st Tron.

Did I mention I'm not a fan of this film?  :)
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »
Did I mention I'm not a fan of this film?  :)
I'm glad you said that. Couldn't really tell, otherwise.
:)

judd

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 09:07:45 PM »
This really stinks.  I'm a G.I. Joe collector and was looking forward to seeing Bruce Willis as General Colton.   I haven't seen the new movie toys yet but knew they were going to be released soon.

Stupid move by the studio if you ask me.

zombiehorror

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 08:15:59 AM »
I didn't have any major issues with The Rise of Cobra....granted I didn't rush to the theater to see it either but I thought it was a pretty fun flick!  Didn't really bother me that Rip Cord was a different race but at first it did cause me concern that Marlon Wayans was playing the character since I usually find him annoying; I do agree though that there are plenty of other ethnicities represented in the Joes and they could have just use one of those characters instead of Ripcord.

The new film looks like it'll be a blast as well but looks like I'll have to wait even longer before getting it thru Netflix.

BlackLagoon

• Sergeant
  • Halloween Hammer
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 05:18:59 PM »
I said it once...actually no, I've said it alot lol...Expendables was the best G.I.Joe flick for the A.R.A.H fans.

zombiehorror

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 06:40:41 PM »
I said it once...actually no, I've said it alot lol...Expendables was the best G.I.Joe flick for the A.R.A.H fans.

I thought Expendables was pretty boring, I lost interest in it at least halfway thru....if not sooner!

Earth 2 Chris

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »
On it's own, Rise of Cobra is a decent sci-fi/military/action flick. But I didn't understand the need to fabricate so much new elements (the power suit, Baroness and Duke's backstory) when there was tons of stuff to be mined from the comics and animated series that folks actually know. Retaliation looked MUCH better to me, but this postponement does seem like a bad omen. Pushing it back out of summer wouldn't have been TOO bad, but next spring?!?

Chris

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 06:20:13 PM »

A big part of the reason for the delay, was the difficulty Cobra Commander had finding time.  Now that he runs the Cobra insurance program, he found it difficult to do fit into his busy schedule some of the reshoots that were needed.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?