Booberry, Count Chocula, Frankenberry, and Fruit Brute

Started by toysfortheages, May 10, 2012, 10:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scatter

We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

horrorhunter

Target has Boo Berry and Frankenberry Fruit Roll-ups.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: ravenloft on October 13, 2015, 09:29:22 AM

I also love this slightly different rendition:

And while on the subject. What other monsters should have had cereals?
Well here's a sketch of four characters almost used by General Mills for a Multi Berry Flavored cereal that's idea was shelved all together:

Count Zachula

Here is my Cereal Monster collection thus far.

Got most of the glow in the dark variants besides one glow Frankenberry and two glow Choculas.

The Pop Funko figures and some of the pencil topper premiums.

All together now!

Trap-Door Maker

Hey! I'm the artist of those proposed General Mills characters! Those were created sometime between 1998-2000 (when I worked at Saatchi & Saatchi in NYC; General Mills' ad agency at the time). If my memory serves me correctly, GM was considering consolidating Frankenberry & Boo-Berry cereals into a new "berry" cereal, and a new monster was thus needed. They may have also been considering a brand-new berry flavor to join the line, but at this point in time, the monster cereals were on the steady decline, which leads me to be live that my Frank/Boo consolidation memory is indeed accurate.
Being a huge monster cereal fan, I naturally jumped at the opportunity to contribute designs :)
Pete

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: Trap-Door Maker on January 20, 2016, 09:42:27 PM
Hey! I'm the artist of those proposed General Mills characters! Those were created sometime between 1998-2000 (when I worked at Saatchi & Saatchi in NYC; General Mills' ad agency at the time). If my memory serves me correctly, GM was considering consolidating Frankenberry & Boo-Berry cereals into a new "berry" cereal, and a new monster was thus needed. They may have also been considering a brand-new berry flavor to join the line, but at this point in time, the monster cereals were on the steady decline, which leads me to be live that my Frank/Boo consolidation memory is indeed accurate.
Being a huge monster cereal fan, I naturally jumped at the opportunity to contribute designs :)
Pete
Oh, thanks. I had always thought these were made in the 70's. But 1998-2000 makes so much more sense. Thanks for explaining this.

ravenloft

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on January 21, 2016, 06:26:15 AM
Oh, thanks. I had always thought these were made in the 70's. But 1998-2000 makes so much more sense. Thanks for explaining this.
The original monsters are all from the 70's and 80's, Count Chocula (chocolate cereal) and Frankenberry (strawberry cereal) debuted in 1971, Booberry (blueberry cereal) was added in 1972 and Fruit Brute (multiple fruit flavored with lime marshmallows) in 1974.
Fruit Brute was discontinued in 1982. The three main cereals Chocula, Frankenberry and Booberry have had continuous runs since the 70's. In 1987 Yummy Mummy (similar to fruit Brute, multiple fruit flavored cereal but with vanilla marshmallows) was added and was later discontinued in 1992.
by the late 90's monster cereals were no longer available year round, only released for distribution during the fall quarter season.
All five of the monster cereals were available during 2013 but with Fruit Brute's name changed to Frute Brute and with Cherry flavoring instead of the original multi-fruit, and Yummy Mummy with a new flavor reminiscent of orange creme-sicle.
After 2013, Yummy Mummy and Frute Brute have not been released since, and only the main three monsters Chocula, Frankenberry and Booberry have been on the shelves seasonally.

Pete is talking about the concept art for new berry characters that was never ultimately used by General Mills with his 1998-2000 comment.

I always thought there should have been a Creature form the blackberry Lagoon, a Bride of Frankenberry raspberry flavored, or a grape or Cinnamon flavored monster.

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: ravenloft on January 22, 2016, 02:04:01 PM
The original monsters are all from the 70's and 80's, Count Chocula (chocolate cereal) and Frankenberry (strawberry cereal) debuted in 1971, Booberry (blueberry cereal) was added in 1972 and Fruit Brute (multiple fruit flavored with lime marshmallows) in 1974.
Fruit Brute was discontinued in 1982. The three main cereals Chocula, Frankenberry and Booberry have had continuous runs since the 70's. In 1987 Yummy Mummy (similar to fruit Brute, multiple fruit flavored cereal but with vanilla marshmallows) was added and was later discontinued in 1992.
by the late 90's monster cereals were no longer available year round, only released for distribution during the fall quarter season.
All five of the monster cereals were available during 2013 but with Fruit Brute's name changed to Frute Brute and with Cherry flavoring instead of the original multi-fruit, and Yummy Mummy with a new flavor reminiscent of orange creme-sicle.
After 2013, Yummy Mummy and Frute Brute have not been released since, and only the main three monsters Chocula, Frankenberry and Booberry have been on the shelves seasonally.

Pete is talking about the concept art for new berry characters that was never ultimately used by General Mills with his 1998-2000 comment.

I always thought there should have been a Creature form the blackberry Lagoon, a Bride of Frankenberry raspberry flavored, or a grape or Cinnamon flavored monster.

I'm well aware of all this as I was also talking about the concept art. I want Crunch Snack of Nuts and Grains but I think it's too clever.

aura of foreboding

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: aura of foreboding on January 22, 2016, 10:30:56 PM
LIES!  Why would any monster kid know this information?   ;D
I'm not sure what you mean but it's because I like the commercials.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on January 23, 2016, 07:23:29 AM
I'm not sure what you mean but it's because I like the commercials.

I was being sarcastic.  I was pointing out that I think pretty much anyone who posts on this board knows the history of the monster cereals.  Now the joke is dead.  You killed it.   :P

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: aura of foreboding on January 23, 2016, 12:42:03 PM
I was being sarcastic.  I was pointing out that I think pretty much anyone who posts on this board knows the history of the monster cereals.  Now the joke is dead.  You killed it.   :P
The world believes the joke is dead. The joke... still lives.

aura of foreboding

jimm

Nosferatu79