Author Topic: We must! we must!  (Read 7458 times)

packy120353

• Sergeant
We must! we must!
« on: August 09, 2008, 10:03:33 PM »
we must identify our bust! Just for fun let's have a little contest - The first person to correctly identify the origin of this piece and reply to this thread wins it.  I might be away from my computer for a while so I will use the time of the thread to determine any ties and please forgive me if I end up falling asleep and don't get back to it til tomorrow! Allrighty then  - what do you think? Who will win a new slingshot target?

GAKENSTEIN

• Sergeant
Re: We must! we must!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 10:05:53 PM »
Looks like Harry Houdini!!
"Supernatural perhaps, baloney perhaps not!"

monsterphile

• Sergeant Major
  • UMA member since September 29, 2003
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 10:33:50 PM »
Paul,

Looks like a dollar store item.  Reminds me of Sylvester Stallone (a la Rocky or Rambo)

Rob

Gasport

• Sergeant
  • pull my finger...
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 10:55:18 PM »
Looks like the Frankenstein [but with a much better paint job!] bust currently available at Michael's Chain stores.

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 11:21:57 PM »
Looks like the Frankenstein [but with a much better paint job!] bust currently available at Michael's Chain stores.

I saw it today when I picked up the Evil Twin of Vincent Price bust.  Wait.... wouldn't the evil twin of Vincent Price be... good...   :o :P

packy120353

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 07:31:15 AM »
Posted by: Gasport
Insert Quote
Looks like the Frankenstein [but with a much better paint job!] bust currently available at Michael's Chain stores

And we have a BINGO! Great job Gasport and thanks to all
Here is the Dollar-ninety-nine version:

Notice the cute dimples and other attempts to de-Frankenstein this face but then they go ahead and include a nameplate to further confuse us. I wanted to "real him up" a little with a paint job (after all iit is from a craft store!). It's slightly better, and I enjoyed the effort but now we're left wondering: Did Michael's exist in ancient Rome?

"Lend me your ears - and any other spare body parts you have laying around!"

Ok it has been fun but all good things etc.... Gasport PM your address and one of these custom amateur painted Rascalteins will be packed up for you this week.  And don't forget to watch the PBS Special! Thanks again to everyone who contributed Happy Sunday!

Meek

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:07:07 AM »

Say, that's not ancient Rome inspired--that's Napoleon Bonaparte, the little Emperor of France. I'd know that pouty little mouth anywhere.

"Meek"(compare & contrast)
"I am like a Unicorn in a racing stable. Beast doesn't fit."   T.E.Lawrence

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 10:28:11 AM »
Say, that's not ancient Rome inspired--that's Napoleon Bonaparte

Sure looks like a copy of this statue of Julius Caesar, to me.

CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

packy120353

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 12:19:19 PM »
Caesar? The statue of Caesar does look like Caesar  - Hail yes! I believe Linda was comparing Frank to Napoleon - and with good reason!

For you Meek - reminds me of the story my Dad used to tell us on every single one of the countless drives we'd make to Iowa for all Holidays (where both my parents were from and all the relatives still live). And yes he'd read the Burma shave signs too. Arny-hoo the cowboy and his horse Lou were getting mighty thirsty when they came across a welcome sight: "See de river? Water, Lou." Which tells you a little bit about me.

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 01:46:01 PM »
I believe Linda was comparing Frank to Napoleon

I guess mentioning ancient Rome while talking about (without actually saying the name) Napoleon is what confused me?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:50:15 PM by Mike Scott »
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

packy120353

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
Hey you're right - DOH!!!!How would anyone know that's Caesar, sorry - color me vague and chagrined!

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 05:23:08 PM »
I guess mentioning ancient Rome while talking about (without actually saying the name) Napoleon is what confused me?

What is this? A history class, or a cheap Halloween statue thread?  :D
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Meek

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »

Mon Genreal, I vote for History! For as you know, those who do not know History are doomed to repeat it.
     Which reminds me of what my Father told me about a trip to New Orleans and the quote from the fella who drove a horse drawn cab that took tourists sight seeing around town who said his horse's name was Napoleon because he had so many boney parts.
     There is a town in Iowa named 'Waterloo' but I've never been curious enough to look up the reason why it was christened such---<picks up book entitled "From Ackley to Zwingle: Origins of Iowa Place Names" and looks up 'Waterloo'>--says here that the town was originally called 'Prairie Rapids' or 'Prairie Rapids Crossing' prior to 1851 but when they got a post office a Mr. Mullen suggested 'Waterloo' in honor of the place where the Duke of Wellington kicked Napoleon's arse.
     And now, back to the cheap Halloween statue thread . . .

"Meek"(They're coming to take me away . . .)

packy120353

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 06:04:24 PM »
Meek my dad insists it was the thirsty cowboy. See de river? Water, Lou. Every time. This could be a class about the history of cheap threads.

Meek

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 06:15:52 PM »

Packy:  I like your Dad's version better, myself. Who the Hell was Mr. Mullen and why did he exert such influence over those Iowans? Shall we discuss the origins of 'Cut Nose Villiage', 'Rattletrap','Ego', 'Jugtown', 'Muddy', 'Flea Hill', 'Slauchtown' or my personal favorite 'Putsy'.

"Meek"(Cause we're from Iowa, Iowa that's where the tall corn grows)