Night Gallery

Started by Memphremagog, April 29, 2012, 03:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tv horror

What! The Caterpillar is so far down the list of best episodes. I'll tell you it scared the life out of me at the time because a few months before I watched that episode back in the 70's, I had found a real Earwig on my pillow! To this day I'm convinced that it bored through my brain, my proof you ask. On windy days I can hear the wind whistling through my ears (well that bit's a lie but I am a touch mad). BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
A limerick a day keeps the Baron at bay

Memphremagog

Look at the list again. The list isnt rated..it's the order in which they were aired.
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Universal Steve

Night Gallery was a great show. I am surprised how many people I talk to don't know of it. Some don't even remember that it started out as one of the four NBC Sunday Mystery movies. It was on only once a month then it got popular enough to get a regular series. I remember when they hacked up episodes of The Sixth Sense with Gary Collins. It used ot be an hour show but it didn't so well in syndication so Universal edited them to half hour shows and paid Rod Serling to air them on Night Gallery in syndication. They had paintings made for them and in the opening it said it was a Sxith Sense episode. Rod Serling himself said that they made no sense but he got paid and that was the bottom line. He hosted those also. I have Season 2 and just got 3. Hoping to get 1 soon . I noticed they did not put the Sixth Sense episodes on the DVD. I hope they release that show in it's hour long format on DVD. I used to have a couple of the lithographs of the paintings.  There was just so many good episodes I couldn't name any of them as a favorite. They all were kind of a favorite.
Universal Steve
www.universalsteve.com

Count_Zirock

Let's just hope neither Johnny Depp nor Tim Burton were "huge fans" of this show, too!
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Moonshadow

This show actually creeped me out as a kid. My Mom loved it though so I saw it regularly but it was hard going. Even today when I hear the music I get that little shiver racing down my spine. But it's certainly a memorable show, and although I don't recall episode titles, I do remember several episodes, particularly the one with the young girl and the swamp creature in the pit, and the food critic and the spider. Scary stuff.

Haunted hearse

I really liked the Sixth Sense series, even though it really doesn't fit in with Night Gallery.  It also would make sense for Universal to want to increase the number of Night Gallery episodes, while at the same time find a way to place the "Sixth Sense" into syndication, because that show only lasted a single season.  At least they were willing to pay Serling for the new openings.  I think my favorie episode of the Six sense was the one where the central character was on board an airliner, and kept having this vision of a horsedrawn hearse.  Maybe they could do a seperate DVD of Sixth Sense episodes, with the Serling openings, for those who might want to see them.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Universal Steve

Quote from: Haunted hearse on May 19, 2012, 06:18:57 PM
I really liked the Sixth Sense series, even though it really doesn't fit in with Night Gallery.  It also would make sense for Universal to want to increase the number of Night Gallery episodes, while at the same time find a way to place the "Sixth Sense" into syndication, because that show only lasted a single season.  At least they were willing to pay Serling for the new openings.  I think my favorie episode of the Six sense was the one where the central character was on board an airliner, and kept having this vision of a horsedrawn hearse.  Maybe they could do a seperate DVD of Sixth Sense episodes, with the Serling openings, for those who might want to see them.

I am glad someone else remembers the show. I also remember that episode. It was a pretty good series. I wish that if they released it on DVD, they would do the whole hour long episodes. The stories would make more sense.
Universal Steve
www.universalsteve.com

Memphremagog

Quote from: Moonshadow on May 19, 2012, 04:45:20 PM
This show actually creeped me out as a kid. My Mom loved it though so I saw it regularly but it was hard going. Even today when I hear the music I get that little shiver racing down my spine. But it's certainly a memorable show, and although I don't recall episode titles, I do remember several episodes, particularly the one with the young girl and the swamp creature in the pit, and the food critic and the spider. Scary stuff.

Those episodes would be BRENDA and A FEAR OF SPIDERS..both rather creepy tales.
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Bizarro Jeff

remember "Night Gallery" with great affection...I can remember watching it on NBC (I think), in the mis-spent days of youth.  Many important writers had their works adapted or wrote episodes, among them Manly Wade Wellman and Seabury Quinn ("Phantom Farmhouse".  I picked up the first season on DVD, haven't checked to see if there was a Season 2.

One of the shows I remember quite well is "Pickman's Model".

Bizarro Jeff
Some things are better not seen, some things are better lost than found...

RICKH

Night Gallery will always be one of my favorites!  My parents sent me to bed and wouldn't let me stay up and watch it when it first aired.  My bed time was 9:00 no exceptions ( my loving the scary stuff didn't bother them).  Luckily, I had a television set  in my room and I would quitely get out of bed and turn on the set with the volume turned down low.  I would sit with my ear pressed to the speaker and watch Night Gallery in the dark. Good times!!! (until I got caught).
You can't kill the boogeyman.  Halloween (1978)

jimm

I'm going to start the series on Hulu while it's free. Finished the original Outer Limits, loved it.

Gillfan

RICKH

Wow!  I remember that article in TV Guide vividly!  Thanks for showing it Gillfan!
You can't kill the boogeyman.  Halloween (1978)

Gillfan

Re the Pickman's Model article, I was rather suprised, I always assumed it was a bastardized Creature From The Black Lagoon outfit, I had no idea they actually sculpted the whole thing.

typhooforme

Quote from: Bizarro Jeff on January 07, 2013, 11:25:47 PM
Many important writers had their works adapted or wrote episodes, among them Manly Wade Wellman and Seabury Quinn ("Phantom Farmhouse". One of the shows I remember quite well is "Pickman's Model".

Bizarro Jeff

Just.bought.the.series.on.dvd...really.enjoyed.a.couple.famous.authors'.ones--LITTLE.BLACK.BAG.(Cyril.
Kornbluth).and.CERTAIN.SHADOWS.ON.THE.WALL.(Mary.Wilkins.Freeman)...What.great.casts...old.stars.
and.great.character.actors!
Robert in Ohio

"I don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell