Which are your favourite MPC Pop-Top Horrors?

Started by Hepcat, February 27, 2012, 09:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Pick your favourite three MPC Pop-Top Horrors! Here are pictures of each M.I.P. from Raycastile's collection:

More pictures can be found in this thread:

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=4304.0

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Type3Toys

frankenstein73

I love the executioner because its just a super unusaul choice for a figure back then, i mean hes carying a human head and wielding a knife for cyring out loud!
and the skeleton, it reminds me of harryhausen skeletons off jason and the argonauts. if i was a kid back then thats what it wouldve been for me anyway.
and the wolfman, just an amazing sculpt, i love it.
its hard to pick really though because they are all great.
Mirabile dictu,don't you agree?

Hepcat

Quote from: Type3Toys on February 27, 2012, 10:17:14 PM
The Wolfman one is the coolest!

It's certainly among the very best Wolfman sculpts I've ever seen. I love the detail in his fur and the folds of his pants.

8)

ChrisW

I have to concur with the Executioner comments. I'm also partial to the "Creature of Doom".
I'd bet hard cash that the werewolf was inspired by the Aurora sculpt.

Flower

They're all very cool .. I voted for ~

Executioner
Witch
Creature of Doom
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Hepcat

Wolfman has moved out to a tenuous early lead in the voting here!

cl:)

Hepcat

Quote from: ChrisW on February 28, 2012, 08:35:35 PMI have to concur with the Executioner comments.

So the Executioner has now moved out in front! My own votes though were as follows:

Creature of Doom
Skeleton
Witch

tynhrt

Street Worm

Creature of Doom
Executioner
Monster

how 'bout their names here?  :o

horror1o1

LOL! Once again my favorite is any i can get my hands on. ::)
It's all about the Horror.

Hepcat

Quote from: Street Worm on April 13, 2012, 08:48:48 AMhow 'bout their names here?  :o

Yes, it's interesting how that all transpired. MPC shrunk down the Pop-Top Horrors to 2 1/2" for use in its Haunted Hulk and Horror House sets:

The enterprising fellows at MPC also carded the 2 1/2" figures in a set entitled Weird Monsters:

Leveraging the profit potential of the Weird Monsters even further, MPC sold them to Frito to be used as premiums in large corn chip packages. But the Frito management opted to sissify the names of the MPC Weird Monsters to make them more palatable to the mothers who would in all likelihood be the decision makers when it came to buying the large packages.

I've read that the 2 1/2" Weird Monsters were also marketed in vending machines. At that size though, they wouldn't fit in standard vending machine capsules so for the moment I'm dismissing that report as a misimpression until I see further evidence.

C:)

jimm

Executioner. All are cool, but a kids toy with a lopped off head is tuff to beat!

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on April 21, 2012, 01:51:16 AM
The only plastic monsters I like better than Palmers are MPC Pop-Top Horrors. The sculpts on Pop-Tops are freaky-from-the-pit, dude. Love 'em.

I agree. The MPC Pop-Tops sculpts have an emaciated look that is a cut more bent than any of the other figures.

8)

Earth 2 Chris

I never knew about these until lurking here. And I instantly recognized the witch sculpt. I still have a cake decoration from an elementary school Halloween party that uses that exact sculpt. I think it's around 3 inches tall?

Chris

Hepcat