Author Topic: DRACULA'S DEUCE ( Capitol 1964)  (Read 1586 times)

Monolith

• Sergeant
DRACULA'S DEUCE ( Capitol 1964)
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:59:03 PM »
I was listening to some of my records recently and thought I'd share.

There is no date on the Dracula's Deuce record itself, some sources say it was released in 1964 some say 1965. Either way ,the humorous lyrics on this record combine monster and hot rod themes. Every other track is a cool, moody surf rock instrumental. On the tracks that have singing the singer does his best Karloff imitation a la Bobby "Boris" Pickett, although sometimes he sounds a little bit like George Harrison to me, which just ads to the fun. It's no wonder the songs on here are so good-it turns out the uncredited players are all top-notch studio musicians. It was produced and arranged by surf rock legend Gary Usher, known for his work with the Beach Boys and my personal favorites: Mr Gasser and the Weirdo's. This rare record is recommended to all
fans of '60's monster, hot rod, and surf rock music.

Here's some of the liner notes from the back...

Ormsby

• Corporal
  • Cthulhu Loves You
    • Ormsby's Cinema Insane
Re: DRACULA'S DEUCE ( Capitol 1964)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:39:52 PM »
Draculas Deuce

After reading your post I had to look up the songs on Youtube.

I was listening to some of my records recently and thought I'd share.

There is no date on the Dracula's Deuce record itself, some sources say it was released in 1964 some say 1965. Either way ,the humorous lyrics on this record combine monster and hot rod themes. Every other track is a cool, moody surf rock instrumental. On the tracks that have singing the singer does his best Karloff imitation a la Bobby "Boris" Pickett, although sometimes he sounds a little bit like George Harrison to me, which just ads to the fun. It's no wonder the songs on here are so good-it turns out the uncredited players are all top-notch studio musicians. It was produced and arranged by surf rock legend Gary Usher, known for his work with the Beach Boys and my personal favorites: Mr Gasser and the Weirdo's. This rare record is recommended to all
fans of '60's monster, hot rod, and surf rock music.

Here's some of the liner notes from the back...

Ormsby
Ormsby's Cinema Insane
http://www.cinemainsane.com

MDG

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:46:58 PM »
I downloaded a copy of this a few years ago--the vocal tracks are a little too cheesy for me, but I love the instrumentals.
MDG

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »
I like the vocal tracks, but like you I like the instrumentals even more.