Famous Monster Movie Art of Basil Gogos

Started by BlackLagoon, February 21, 2012, 03:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Here's another Famous Monsters of Filmland cover rendering Basil Gogos did of a fellow that's not usually in the limelight, the Metaluna Mutant:

cl:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

jimm

Thanks guys *added to cart* can't wait!

Dr.Terror

Here is my favorite painting from the book.

Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Hepcat

Eeeeek! Scatter before his morning coffee!

hmjfym

Scatter

We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

tojoro

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 29, 2012, 12:16:16 AM
Too much goodness for one book! The slipcase version came with 16 extra plates. Don't know what they were, though. Anybody?

Title page is a variation of Herman Munster with a red bkgrnd.
pg.2  Karloff/Monster portrait. (Monster has alternate 'clamp' makeup.)
pg.3  Lugosi/Dracula portrait.
pg.4  1/2 pg. Karloff/Kharis USPS Stamp rendering, plus 1/4 pg. charcoal Ardeth Bey, plus 1/4 pg charcoal left-side BoF Monster
pg.5  Crimson Ghost as Santa. (guessing it was job for Misfits.)
pg.6 1/4 pg. charcoal right-side of Chaney wolf, (which I've also seen in full-color.) and 1/4 pg. charcoal right-side of Hull Wolf, (cover of FM#24.)
pg.7 Charcoal of BoF Monster, right-hand over chest. (color variation on a later issue of FM.)
pg.8 1/4 page charcoal of Gojira, plus 1/4 pg. charcoal version of  Dr. Terror's Kong, 3 posts up.:)
pg.9 Charcoal of Gwynplaine
pg.10 Combination portrait of BoF, (full-face and right-side profile),.
pg.11 BoF Monster, lit from above, reddish-orange bkgrnd, recent.
pgs.12 &13 are two 1/2 pgs. and one full of scenes of U.S. versus German troops, WWII.
pg.14 Broad-stroke rendering of Conan-style warrior w/antler & panther-head helm/ green lizard on right/ red sky/ yellow sun/ plie-o-skulls.
pg.15 1/4 pg covers of EERIE #26, EERIE# 30, The SPIRIT #1 and SPACEMEN# 1.
pg. 16 is CRACKED# 102

Outstanding book, for sure! 8) Why is it that Mr. Gogos no longer has a website where we could purchase prints? I kick myself now for not getting them when they were readily available. :(

~T.
Why was I not made of stone like thee?

Wolfman

Quote from: tojoro on June 02, 2012, 07:11:07 PM
Title page is a variation of Herman Munster with a red bkgrnd.
pg.2  Karloff/Monster portrait. (Monster has alternate 'clamp' makeup.)
pg.3  Lugosi/Dracula portrait.
pg.4  1/2 pg. Karloff/Kharis USPS Stamp rendering, plus 1/4 pg. charcoal Ardeth Bey, plus 1/4 pg charcoal left-side BoF Monster
pg.5  Crimson Ghost as Santa. (guessing it was job for Misfits.)
pg.6 1/4 pg. charcoal right-side of Chaney wolf, (which I've also seen in full-color.) and 1/4 pg. charcoal right-side of Hull Wolf, (cover of FM#24.)
pg.7 Charcoal of BoF Monster, right-hand over chest. (color variation on a later issue of FM.)
pg.8 1/4 page charcoal of Gojira, plus 1/4 pg. charcoal version of  Dr. Terror's Kong, 3 posts up.:)
pg.9 Charcoal of Gwynplaine
pg.10 Combination portrait of BoF, (full-face and right-side profile),.
pg.11 BoF Monster, lit from above, reddish-orange bkgrnd, recent.
pgs.12 &13 are two 1/2 pgs. and one full of scenes of U.S. versus German troops, WWII.
pg.14 Broad-stroke rendering of Conan-style warrior w/antler & panther-head helm/ green lizard on right/ red sky/ yellow sun/ plie-o-skulls.
pg.15 1/4 pg covers of EERIE #26, EERIE# 30, The SPIRIT #1 and SPACEMEN# 1.
pg. 16 is CRACKED# 102

Outstanding book, for sure! 8) Why is it that Mr. Gogos no longer has a website where we could purchase prints? I kick myself now for not getting them when they were readily available. :(

~T.
You can go to this webiste: yargerfineart.com for Basil Gogos prints. I believe they are for sale, but very expensive. Give it a try.

JP

horror1o1

I've wanted this book for ever but something is always taking my money. I keep hoping i get it for a gift on Christmas or my Birthday but no luck so far
It's all about the Horror.

tojoro

Quote from: Wolfman on June 03, 2012, 03:05:58 AM
You can go to this webiste: yargerfineart.com for Basil Gogos prints. I believe they are for sale, but very expensive. Give it a try.

JP

Those appear to be the originals, as being described as 'acrylic on board', etc...but thank you for looking out. I wonder why Mr. Gogos hadn't gone the route of Fairfax prints, as those folks seem to carry quality prints of Frazetta, Wrightson, and the like. The piece on the Yarger site of Karloff and the Mummy is the one I described being on pg. 4 of the bonus portfolio...all of the pieces Basil did for the USPS are there.
No offense to the gentleman who did the final art for the stamps, but Basil's efforts blew the finals away!
Why was I not made of stone like thee?

marsattacks666

I very lucky enough to have met him. Plus, I do own some art-pieces. Lithos, of course.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

Are any of these Gogos art prints signed and numbered?

???

seed_murda

Quote from: Hepcat on June 03, 2012, 11:54:19 PM
Are any of these Gogos art prints signed and numbered?

???

Yes almost all. Usually between the 1000- 2500 made range.

Quote from: tojoro on June 03, 2012, 09:23:42 PM
Those appear to be the originals, as being described as 'acrylic on board', etc...but thank you for looking out. I wonder why Mr. Gogos hadn't gone the route of Fairfax prints, as those folks seem to carry quality prints of Frazetta, Wrightson, and the like. The piece on the Yarger site of Karloff and the Mummy is the one I described being on pg. 4 of the bonus portfolio...all of the pieces Basil did for the USPS are there.
No offense to the gentleman who did the final art for the stamps, but Basil's efforts blew the finals away!

Actually Timothy Yarger fine arts does have some prints from time to time, but it's been awhile. I believe the last one they had was of Benicio del toro new wolf man movie a little while back. You have to keep calling I guess. Their website is not the greatest.
"A man who limits his interests limits his life."
— Vincent Price

ParasiteHilton

I had the honor of meeting Basil a few years back. What a nice man. He had some of his work on display and when I was looking at it, he came up to me and said

"You're an artist."
"Uh yeah, I am. How did you know?"
"I can always tell. When people come up to my work and look very closely at it, they are usually artists."

We talked for a long time. Unfortunately at the time I couldn't afford one of his pieces but I did pick up his book.

A real dead body is given away to some lucky person at every performance!

Wolfman

Quote from: seed_murda on June 04, 2012, 12:44:39 AM
Yes almost all. Usually between the 1000- 2500 made range.

Actually Timothy Yarger fine arts does have some prints from time to time, but it's been awhile. I believe the last one they had was of Benicio del toro new wolf man movie a little while back. You have to keep calling I guess. Their website is not the greatest.
I bought the CFTBL & Glenn Strange Frankenstein prints from Timothy Yarger about 2 years ago, both signed by Basil. If I remember correctly, they ran me around $90 for the Creature and $75 for Frankenstein. I inquired earlier this year about the Phantom print, and Tim said he had it for $650. He didn't say it was, or wasn't an original,  I never asked either, because I wasn't paying that kind of dough for it. That's all I can add to this. I'm just glad I own those 2 pieces plus the B&W Wolfman I won on ebay earlier this year.

JP

seed_murda

Quote from: Wolfman on June 07, 2012, 04:07:13 PM
I bought the CFTBL & Glenn Strange Frankenstein prints from Timothy Yarger about 2 years ago, both signed by Basil. If I remember correctly, they ran me around $90 for the Creature and $75 for Frankenstein. I inquired earlier this year about the Phantom print, and Tim said he had it for $650. He didn't say it was, or wasn't an original,  I never asked either, because I wasn't paying that kind of dough for it. That's all I can add to this. I'm just glad I own those 2 pieces plus the B&W Wolfman I won on ebay earlier this year.

JP

Yea they seem to be getting pretty pricey. I believe they were asking 600 for the wolfman. I figured I would just wait that one out.
"A man who limits his interests limits his life."
— Vincent Price