Monster Man, new series

Started by CreepysFan, February 18, 2012, 05:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CreepysFan

New effects reality show 'Monster Man' airs on SciFi on March 14th.  It goes behind the scenes of Hollywood's most respected practical FX worshop.  In the first episode director Sean Cunningham asks effects master Cleve Hall to construct conjoined twins that tear apart for his next film.   Will air right after SciFi's other reality show 'Face Off'.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Moonshadow

Color me unimpressed with this show. Way too staged, with all the worst aspects of reality TV. To be honest, I find the make -up/FX work underwhelming too. That werewolf on tonight's episode was just terrible, like a cartoon monster. I actually question if the films they are making all these things for are real, or concocted by the TV show. I don't think I'll waste any more time on this.

Sean

Quote from: Moonshadow on March 22, 2012, 04:27:07 AM
Color me unimpressed with this show. Way too staged, with all the worst aspects of reality TV. To be honest, I find the make -up/FX work underwhelming too. That werewolf on tonight's episode was just terrible, like a cartoon monster. I actually question if the films they are making all these things for are real, or concocted by the TV show. I don't think I'll waste any more time on this.

I'm not really disagreeing with anything you're saying here, Karen----but I like to put it on anyway because I just like monsters being made.  It beats the poop out of Jersey Shore. ;D

zombiehorror

Haven't watched the new episode but I'll suffer thru anything if the people on the show are making monsters!!!

CreepysFan

Quote from: Sean on March 22, 2012, 04:31:40 AM
  It beats the poop out of Jersey Shore. ;D

Being in a coma beats the poop out of Jersey Shore.  Oh wait, not much difference is there.

CreepysFan

I have to agree with Karen, even monsters can't make reality shows interesting.  Reality TV sucks.

Count_Zirock

Yeah, I saw the Conjoined Twins/2-Headed Shark episode. Frankly, I wasn't impressed. I saw better conjoined twins in "Troma's WAR!"
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Sean

Quote from: zombiehorror on March 22, 2012, 01:46:03 PM
Haven't watched the new episode but I'll suffer thru anything if the people on the show are making monsters!!!

Yeah, pretty much.  I'll have it on not as a 'Ok, everybody---shhhh---he's talking' kinda show.... but rather as background to a primary activity.

Illoman

Quote from: CreepysFan on March 23, 2012, 08:14:53 AM

Being in a coma beats the poop out of Jersey Shore.  Oh wait, not much difference is there.

If this was Facebook I'd be hitting the "Like" button a couple dozen times.

Bonomo

Yeah the show itself comes off as really really staged. But, ya know, they make monsters and stuff. Plus my brother was an FX guy when I was younger so I like to watch that stuff.

Ormsby

I don't like (un)reality shows, but I really want to like Monster Man.  I recorded the first two episodes, and I found myself fast forwarding past all the "Visit to see a guard dog to get inspiration for a werewolf" (why not visit a zoo and look at a real wolf?) and any of the "family drama", I wanted to see old school practical monsters being made.  I wanted to see cool really neat old school practical monsters being made. 

I really didn't like the werewolf head in the second episode, it looked like a high school football mascot.  Most of the productions they're seen working on so far look like demo shoots to entice investors, not real movies being made except for 2-Headed Shark Attack.  Even in that episode, I really didn't believe the client wanted a shark head on top of a shark head (bunk sharks?) and Cleve changed it, that seemed all played out for the cameras.

All and all I'm feeling let down by this series, but given SyFy's recent track record I shouldn't be surprised.
Ormsby
Ormsby's Cinema Insane
http://www.cinemainsane.com

raycastile

I watched an episode a couple days ago, the one with the completed werewolf.  I don't know if there was a previous episode with the earlier design stages of the werewolf.  But I was surprised by how amateurish the creature's head looked.  Very cartoony and silly.  And there was a singing space princess that was also pretty lame.  I don't know who says this is "Hollywood's most respected practical effects workshop."  Sounds like Syfy ballyhoo.  So is K.N.B. disqualified because they also do digital effects?  I've never heard of the guy on Monster Man.  Looking at his IMDB credits, he appears to specialize in very low-budget, direct-to-video films, with some Charles Band films being his most recognizable titles.

I wasn't that crazy about the show.  But hey, it has monsters in it.

I saw a few episodes of Face Off on Syfy.  The creations on that program (like a sfx version of Project Runway) were much more impressive than what I saw on Monster Man.  But I don't like elimination-based talent shows.

I did like Monster Makers (was that the title?) on the Travel Channel.  It's a reality show about Distortions Unlimited producing props for the haunted attraction business.  The people on that program actually seemed like professionals engaged in a real enterprise.  Because...that's what they are.  Not as colorful as Monster Man, or as melodramatic as Face Off, but I found it more interesting than the other two.
Raymond Castile

zombiehorror

Quote from: raycastile on March 24, 2012, 04:12:39 PM
I did like Monster Makers (was that the title?) on the Travel Channel.  It's a reality show about Distortions Unlimited producing props for the haunted attraction business.  The people on that program actually seemed like professionals engaged in a real enterprise.  Because...that's what they are.  Not as colorful as Monster Man, or as melodramatic as Face Off, but I found it more interesting than the other two.

Monster Maker was pretty cool but unfortunately looks like it was a one off deal comprised of only 3 episodes...or something like that!?!  Would be nice if they do a few more for this fall!

Sean

Quote from: raycastile on March 24, 2012, 04:12:39 PM

I wasn't that crazy about the show.  But hey, it has monsters in it.

Yep.  And that's why I'll watch ity again.  But I agree with pretty much your whole post, Ray.

Pauspy

I agree with the folks who weren't terribly impressed. It's kind of s "poor sister" to FaceOff, and not very interesting at the moment.
Supernatural, perhaps; baloney, perhaps not.