What are your favourite Aurora monster model kits?

Started by Hepcat, February 13, 2012, 05:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKing

My faves and reasons:
1. Godzilla-This is not only my favorite Aurora, but my favorite kit of all time, period. It is one of the only original Auroras I had as a small tyke in the 70s. I remember the garish Aurora glow in the dark box and my dad building it for me. Later I had the Monogram reissue from 1978 several times. A HUGE part of my childhood.
2.Frankenstein-fast forward to 1983. I'm 12 and just starting to get into the human sized classic monsters (I'd always been a big fan of giant monsters like Godzilla, Harryhausens and dinosaurs). A new UHF station has just started up and every friday they have a triple feature horror show-Theatre Bizarre and are going to show Frankenstein and the WolfMan this week. After school that Friday I go with my Dad to the hobby shop in the mall that we always go to and lo and behold Monogram has reissued the "Big 4" Universal monster kits! Dad says I can get 2 so of course it hs to be Franky and the WolfMan cause they are going to be on later tonight!Jusas with the Big G, sentimental vaalue overrules considerations of sculpt accuracy, which franlkly is not bad on this kit-it is a good likeness of Karloff from Bride.
3.The Wolf Man-see above story
4.King Kong-Like Godzilla, Kong was the only other original Aurora monster kit I had as a kid.
5.The Mummy-I love the sculpt and menacing pose of this kit.
Crazy am I? We'll see if I'm crazy or not!

Hepcat

Frankenstein has now moved out ahead of the Creature!

Frankenstein 31
Creature 28
Mummy 20
Phantom of the Opera 19
Dracula 17
Wolf Man 16
Bride of Frankenstein 15
Forgotten Prisoner of Castel-Maré 12
Godzilla 10

Wolf Man as well has made a strong upward move, but the Bride seems to be faltering.

:o
Collecting! It's what I do!

CreepysFan

The Forgotten Prisoner was my first model as a kid, so I'm kinda sad it isn't faring so well.   :(
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Hepcat

I built the Mummy and the Bride kits as a kid. The Forgotten Prisoner was the only one my best buddy built. I now have his buildup, but my own are long since gone.

I agree though that the Forgotten Prisoner deserves more votes.

:-[

Wolfman

Quote from: Hepcat on March 19, 2012, 07:43:57 PM
Frankenstein has now moved out ahead of the Creature!

Frankenstein 31
Creature 28
Mummy 20
Phantom of the Opera 19
Dracula 17
Wolf Man 16
Bride of Frankenstein 15
Forgotten Prisoner of Castel-Maré 12
Godzilla 10

Wolf Man as well has made a strong upward move, but the Bride seems to be faltering.

:o
Frankenstein is widening now. He is moving like a tremendous machine!

Quiz: Anyone get the reference to my quote?

JP

LundyAfterMidnight

THE WITCH & THE BRIDE: I love the detail in both.
THE FORGOTTEN PRISONER: For the Famous Monsters tie in, & the fact that it's an original creation for the series. And what's not to like about a 'glow' skeleton?!
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Hepcat

The Forgotten Prisoner was not a glow kit though when issued originally:

cl:)

Flower

I need to add the Bride of Frankenstein to my wish list.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Hepcat

Quote from: Flower on March 23, 2012, 04:22:06 PM
I need to add the Bride of Frankenstein to my wish list.

I've always liked the electric blue colour of her bandages on the box but for whatever reason few modellers paint them that way.

:-\

Hepcat

Frankenstein keeps slowly widening his lead here. The real battle is for third place. And a surge of votes has moved the Forgotten Prisoner up the leaderboard. Here are the top ten vote getters:

Frankenstein 38
Creature 31
Mummy 25
Phantom of the Opera 25
Dracula 21
Wolf Man 20
Bride of Frankenstein 18
Forgotten Prisoner of Castel-Maré 17
Godzilla 10
Witch 10

horrorhunter

I voted to see all the results. But, honestly I love them all equally. Icons of our time.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

That's why I tick off the option that only voters can see the vote totals.

;)

Hepcat

The Bride is moving up! Here she is by Monolith:

8)

Hepcat

The monsters in hot rods aren't polling very well. Here are photos of the three I have in my collection:

marsattacks666

This was a difficult choice, especially with Aurora kits. But, I went
with the staple kits. The Creature, Frankenstein's monster, The Mummy
and Forgotten Prisoner. Really though, so many other really cool
kits.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."