Author Topic: What are your favourite Aurora monster model kits?  (Read 36898 times)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
Re: What are your favourite Aurora monster model kits?
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »
Here's my favourite of the Aurora kits as built by Dirtyhorse:

cl:)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:48:54 AM by Hepcat »
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2015, 08:37:12 AM »
The Bride of Frankenstein is still in a very tight battle with the Forgotten Prisoner and Dracula for fifth place. Here she is executed by GaryGaskit:

cl:)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
Hmmmmm. Interesting as well seeing which kits are bringing up the rear:

Wolf Man's Wagon 1
Dracula's Dragster 2
King Kong's Thronester 2
Frankenstein's Flivver 3
Mummy's Chariot 3
Customizing Monster Kit Featuring the Vulture & Mad Dog 4
Customizing Monster Kit  5

tynhrt
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:14:20 AM by Hepcat »

Vandor_Zorkov

• Private First Class
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2015, 05:41:39 PM »
For me, The Mummy always hit all the notes...balance, mood, astounding detail and almost perfect screen accuracy.

Dracula is almost tied for 1st on those points and might be 1st if the face was Lugosi. 

Phantom isn't bad there either but is out of scale with the other 11 (he's slightly too big). And he's a little too "clean," but I probably get that from seeing Lom's shabby, rotting Phantom so many times as a kid.

Frank is the icon but the whole presentation is more like a monument to Frankenstein instead of a snapshot in plastic of the movie character. That's not a bad thing but it does make that kit less dynamic and more static for me (that's also why he makes a dandy gold-painted trophy).

The Wolf Man is a well-done werewolf but was never THE Wolf Man.

Jekyll...swing and a miss. Bigger scale and a little more going on in the lab might have helped.

Hunchback is well-done but never struck me as a horror character. He's too likable, esp. if you read the novel.

Creature is pretty well done too, but the head always ruined it for me and I was never a huge fan anyway.

Kong is ok. Godzilla...meh.

The Witch was a neat idea and I built a couple but...I dunno. Just never worked for me. Lots of stuff to look at, though.

Forgotten Prisoner captivated my imagination as a kid because I never saw one. Now seems a little "basic," somehow. Plain, almost. Boring? Not sure what word I'm looking for.

So yeah, The Mummy has it wrapped up tight.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 05:45:32 PM by Vandor_Zorkov »

1/6thtoyz

• Sergeant
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2015, 09:53:09 AM »
Franky is mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkk lium

The Batman

• Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2015, 10:56:16 PM »
Frank - best sculpted head of all
Creature -- fun kit to paint with white claw nails with bloody tips
Phantom - like how the mask fits perfectly and the prisoner scene
Prisoner - I've enjoyed building it and painting it super detailed at least 3 times

Sean

• Sergeant
  • The Godfather of Gore
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2015, 08:07:58 PM »
I have to say the Phantom is my alltime fave. That diorama with the prisoner at his feet haunted me in my childhood.

Completely agree about being disturbed by the prisoner.

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2015, 01:53:14 PM »
 I think that the Mummy was the best all around (great, movie-accurate Chaney Jr. sculpt). Frankenstein had a great head sculpt and is easily the most iconic. The Phantom was my personal favorite for the same reasons previously stated (that prisoner was freakin' creepy). The Bride was the most elaborate and sophisticated one. Dracula was cool and iconic (but I think I'm factoring in the great Bama box-art). The Creature was a bit of a letdown but fun. The Hunchback on the torture wheel had sentimental reasons (my dad taught me how to paint models with this one). The Hyde always looked lacking to me. Finally, the Wolfman was the worst on all levels (likeness, sculpt, execution, base etc.).

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2016, 01:26:15 AM »
Since we're on the topic I have a big question regarding the order of the release of the models. I want to line mine up in the right order.

1964 first had Hunchback but what was the order of the rest? Kong, Godzilla, Hyde, and Guillotine. My current understanding is that Mr. Hyde came after King Kong and Godzilla, mainly because of this ad:

But often I see Hyde being listed as before
and I have no idea about the guillotine

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2016, 11:42:12 AM »
Interesting that ad. Because of this ad run by Aurora itself, I had always thought that King Kong and Godzilla were the seventh and eighth additions to the Aurora monster model kit line:

That Captain Company(Warren) ad may simply be indicative of which kits Captain Company had in stock at the time as opposed to providing any kind of solid indication of which kits Aurora had issued to that time.

:-\

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2016, 12:35:27 PM »
Interesting that ad. Because of this ad run by Aurora itself, I had always thought that King Kong and Godzilla were the seventh and eighth additions to the Aurora monster model kit line:

That Captain Company(Warren) ad may simply be indicative of which kits Captain Company had in stock at the time as opposed to providing any kind of solid indication of which kits Aurora had issued to that time.

:-\

Hunchback definitely came before King Kong and Godzilla.
The two ads you posted above show the same artist drawing the first six. Perhaps he was told to draw one introducing King Kong and Godzilla and have the old ones in the background. But he never knew about the Hunchback model.
Here's a list of my current understanding of the order: http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=28987.msg477305#msg477305
I believe Big Frankie, La Guillotine, and the monster rods were also in 1964.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 12:40:23 PM by YoungestMonsterKid »

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2016, 01:33:28 PM »
I believe the monster rod kits were issued in 1966.

Here's what I found previously (although I no longer remember where):

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=13241.15

???

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2016, 01:39:16 PM »
I believe the monster rod kits were issued in 1966.

Here's what I found previously (although I no longer remember where):

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=13241.15

???

I always heard the Bride and Witch were 1965. But I'll take your word for it on the monster rods. Wasn't Kong's Thronestar and Godzilla's Go Kart released later though. And the Go Karts box art was done by James Bama but the Prisoner wasn't. I believe Bama had quit by then. Oh and don't forget for your list that the Monsters of the Movies Dracula, Jekyll, and Hyde were just altered Canada only Monster Scenes figures. And they split the Jekyll and Hyde kit into two different kits for the Monsters of the Movies.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:44:03 PM by YoungestMonsterKid »

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2016, 04:02:47 PM »
I always heard the Bride and Witch were 1965.

Hmmmm. I think you're probably right. 1964 does indeed seem early for those two kits.

And the Go Karts box art was done by James Bama but the Prisoner wasn't.

The box art for the Forgotten Prisoner was done by Mort Kunstler.

8)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:20:50 PM by Hepcat »

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2016, 08:15:04 PM »
Ha, I knew I had more photos in my archives to help me.

Here we have a hobby shop monster korner.
It has Big Frankie and the Guillotine being sold along side many models including Frankenstein's Flivver (which can be seen on the shelf with the other pre-built models). It's right in front of the Hunchback box. And several boxes for the Flivver and Dracula's Dragster can be seen below and even more Flivver boxes above. The place is crammed with them.
Of course Big Frankie and the Guillotine were only sold in 1964. Plus there are several things here pointing to the 1964 customizing contest. So CASE CLOSED
There's also a poster in the back advertising the new Jekyll as Hyde kit and it shows Hunchback, Kong and Godzilla in the background along with the other older models.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:19:19 PM by YoungestMonsterKid »