DST New Minimates, Figures, and Retro Figures from Toy Fair 2012

Started by Universal_Adam, February 13, 2012, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mord

I did hear that a group of lawyers bought the rights to many of the supporting actors from the Universal Monsters line in hopes of hitting paydirt. That came from a very reliable industry source. I just hope they do something with those properties.

Anton Phibes

Diamond may make him. All they have to do is hire a model who somewhat resembles Clive, and voila---problem solved. James Farnciscus' widow didnt want his likeness used for a figure. But Sideshow made one anyway. Same with Ripley in Aliens with the statue they did. They wanted a power lifter diorama. Weaver wouldnt deal. They hired a model who somewhat resembled Weaver. Problem solved. It can be done. Since they made a Dracula who looks like...nobody....they can do a decent Dr. Frankenstein if they wanted too.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on February 16, 2012, 02:25:25 AM
Likeness rights. It's unclear who, if anyone, has a claim in his likeness, so it's too risky to produce (as I understand it from those who have looked into it).

It's just bizarre that anyone could have a claim to his likeness.  He was a fantastic actor, but he was neither Boris Karloff nor Marilyn Monroe.  It just seems bizarre that anyone would claim his likeness as belonging to them... unless they are direct descendents.   

Quote from: Mord on February 16, 2012, 03:06:57 AM
I did hear that a group of lawyers bought the rights to many of the supporting actors from the Universal Monsters line in hopes of hitting paydirt. That came from a very reliable industry source. I just hope they do something with those properties.

And that is just sick.  How can you just buy and sell a person's likeness like that?  That's really twisted and demented, and I am sad to say that we live in a country where the dead become a commodity.  I totally understand children and grandchildren wanting their parents' images to be well represented and preserved, but these non-relations are just in on this for the money.   

The Invisible Woman

Quote from: werewolfwoman on February 15, 2012, 04:16:01 AM
i know how you feel, whenever i see a new line of monster toys i get so bummed when i don't see the wolfman. It has to be even harder for an invisible man fan because he really gets over looked. i hope you get some new invisible toys this year, ill keep my fingers crossed for you. i can definitely sympathize  :'(
Awww. Thank you wewewolfwoman for your sympathy and crossed fingers. :D There is definitely a profusion of certain characters (such as Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, and Creature From the Black Lagoon) out there. But, for those of us who love the lesser known or less popular characters, we are pretty much SOL. But, such is life. Hunting for something rare and difficult to find can be more fun, and is ultimately very satisfying and rewarding when you finally get your hands on it.  ;)
"The whole world's my hiding place."

King Kang Kong

The 7-inch Mole Man is a TRU exclusive, actually. No Deluxe version. Still not sure which 7-inch Invisible Man they've shown is going to be at TRU, but it will probably be a basic floor base, not the lab table.

Anton Phibes

Which might be the reason why Dr. Jekyll now sports the Lab table intended originally for the Invisible Man. I have managed to track down at relatively reasonable prices 5 of the 6 color TRU versions of the monsters. Which is how I am going to collect this set until I do some trading at my comics store for the "select" versions.

Having some trouble nailing down a color DST/TRU Wolfman figure though. Posted a "want to buy" ad in the commerce section. Maybe it'll pan out. Or maybe not. :angel:

jimm

Looks like they added the articulation that they gave the Munsters figs, a bit too late for the first 2 series though :( those were too redundant with Sideshow 8" for me to get 'em. So the first two wave are plastic statues compared to these. These are a whole new deal especially Hyde! Still dying for a 3 3/4 inch uni monster line. Maybe Mezco?