Author Topic: Planet Of The Apes Prison Wagon  (Read 3235 times)

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
Planet Of The Apes Prison Wagon
« on: December 06, 2007, 03:46:32 PM »
Greetings. Is this Memorable Memorabilia? Good! I've been looking for this place. I think I've got something worthy of sharing with you prop heads here.

I have been a big fan of the original Planet Of The Apes film for a long time. I feel it's without question one of the best science fiction films of all time. Forget about the sequels, I'm talking about the original film here.

Three or four years ago I was blessed with acquiring a piece of Ape history. It helps to have dear friends who collect props. Make that very dear friends. Friends like Robert Taylor.

Here is one of the wagon wheel spokes taken from the original prison wagon in POTA. Believe it or not, the collector who purchased this wagon in an auction had wanted to restore the decrepit wagon with fresh new wood! Can you believe this? Well, he did just that! He took off the spokes including other original parts and replaced them with new replica parts! I know .. insane! I don't get it either.

First a picture of the auction advertisement -

The wagon in the film -

The original spokes -

And now for the original nuts and bolts -

The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
  • "The Monster was the best friend I ever had."
Re: Planet Of The Apes Prison Wagon
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 04:06:32 PM »
Gosh, seeing those fragments of POTA here makes them look very special!  lol  I was glad to see them go to an appreciative owner, my friend.  And let's see--that wonderful foam latex alien head came to me from YOUR collection--and it looks great in the dungeon with my other heads.  Hmmm.  Reckon I'd better post a photo of it here soon!

I wonder what's become of that POTA prison wagon by now?  If every single wooden and metal part of it was replaced a few pieces at a time, there must be a brand-new POTA prison wagon sitting somewhere that never saw use in the movie! 
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

• Corporal
  • Misunderstood Monster
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 04:06:55 PM »
Now that, is cool. Thanks for sharing! I've always wanted to get into props, even came close to buying a soldier ape outfit one year but it wasn't meant to be.

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
  • "The Monster was the best friend I ever had."
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 04:47:25 PM »
One of the problems with trying to collect the bits and pieces left over from movies is, of course, the difficulty of authenticating them.   And it is important to do so, as much as you can. There are so many fakes out there--some Ebay sellers have any number of "genuine" things listed which are misrepresented--and even some of the reliable auction houses are presented with things to sell which have doubtful provenance attributed to them.  It can be discouraging.  Any bozo in the universe can (and now DOES, seems to me) offer "Certificates of Authenticity" with the items he sells...but if they can include no actual provenance about origin--from an auction, from a previous owner, or from someone who worked at the film studio, etc., the seller's COA is worth only the price of the piece of paper it was printed on (from the seller's home computer!). 

Having said that, the best advice, though, remains to ask for that COA or LOA, get names and places and all the background paperwork you can.  I admit, I have some items which have little paperwork, or none!  Sometimes you can find a thing without background material, but you can SEE IT in the movie!  That goes a long way!  Find a photo of it in the film, get a screen capture! 

Buy from reliable collectors/dealers whenever possible.  They're out there.  As with anything, there's a certain amount of trial and error involved with finding your sea-legs in collecting.  You do develop a "second sight"--I know the toy experts agree--about things that just don't seem right.  If they seem iffy, you'd probably best steer clear and save your money.  Same advice applies for autographs--there are so many fakes out there, and darn good ones!  Do your homework, buy from people with good reps. 

I started collecting prop and "set dressing" memorabilia about 8 or 9 years ago, and I'm happy to say there continue to be "finds" out there.  My pockets aren't deep enough for the major props, but I enjoy my minor ones.  The  memorabilia mixes up just fine with the toys and posters and masks and all--it's my own mini-Ackermuseum!
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

poseablemonster

• Sergeant Major
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 10:28:57 AM »
I can't afford to collect props, and don't have enough knowlege on the subject to not get ripped off, so I usually stay away from them for myself.  But, I find them one of the most interesting and just plain cool things in other's collections.  The Apes Wagon pieces are really, REALLY cool Terry.