Author Topic: My First Bust painting Bela Lugosi Dracula  (Read 7223 times)

Opera Ghost

• Sergeant
  • "To my Christine, I am forever Wed"
My First Bust painting Bela Lugosi Dracula
« on: October 26, 2011, 01:36:19 AM »
Hey Gang--

Well, my Lugosi Dracula finally came to fruition in time for Halloween. I began with the Lugosi lifemask available on Ebay. A few years later, I pre-ordered the QMX ring. The Project began to take shape a little over a year ago with the Dan Thompson Blank sculpt which I could not resist which would require much less work than starting with a lifemask. I later bought the GillManFan Medallion, and two Universal Dracula Costumes - 1 as it had a great cape and the other because it had everything else! Gracebuster gave me the idea to look for a mannequin on line and got a great deal out of NJ which included shipping and no sales tax.

I've only ever Airbrushed one sign and one Grinch latex appliance in the 25 years that I've owned my Paasch airbrush. Playing with it a bit, I studied notes by Ob1an on his paintjob about 18 months ago, and took painting tips and recommendations from him. Man was I nervous.

Beginning with the amazing sculpt by Dan Thompson, as a resin caste, I decided to go for a subtle dead/but lifelike flesh in the fleshier parts of the face...no further narration here, other than I have hair which time did not permit for Halloween but will be added in the future. Enjoy and I welcome ALL thoughts.

Bela work

after getting him outside with a voicetrack, wife made our Transylvanian Ghoulash with lamb!) and we enjoyed with a nice seasonal wine :)

OG
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:40:42 AM by Opera Ghost »
"In each of us, two natures are at war--the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, and one of them must conquer..."

FRANKEinstein

• Corporal
Re: My First Bust painting Bela Lugosi Dracula
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 01:42:10 AM »
Thanks for sharing!
Dan's sculpt is pretty awesome!

Jeff

halloween

• Private First Class
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:19:11 AM »
well done...bela looks awesome!!!

twilitezoner

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 07:55:52 AM »
Looking good OG. Where did you get the Vampire wine?

Kidagain

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 07:59:06 AM »
Way to go OG, Bela must be looking down with a big grin on his face.

Sean

• Sergeant
  • The Godfather of Gore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:59:50 AM »
Fangtastic!

Gillfan

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 10:08:38 AM »
OG- When I saw your fist pic I was worried, but he turned out great! I was in Times Square the other day and took a pic with Drac out front of Madame Tussaud's. I think yours looks better than theirs!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:44:29 PM by Gillfan »

Opera Ghost

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 11:32:47 AM »
Looking good OG. Where did you get the Vampire wine?

Hey TZ - Local Grocery store has it every year. Albertsons Chain!
"In each of us, two natures are at war--the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, and one of them must conquer..."

Opera Ghost

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:33:27 AM »
Way to go OG, Bela must be looking down with a big grin on his face.

KA-- you are too kind. That means alot, being my first effort.

Opera Ghost

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 11:38:24 AM »
OG- When I saw your fist pic I was worried, but he turned out great! I was in Times Square the other day and took a pic with Drac out front. I think yours looks better than theirs!

Thanks GF -  I was worried every step of the way, but my ace in the corner was Dan's amazing sculpt. Of course, there are a couple of things I'd have done a little differently, now in hindsite, and still might, after the fact as he'll be staying around the house after Halloween.

og

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
OG, and I'm NOT just saying this............brother, that looks AWESOME!! You really should be proud of your work there!!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

kklloo

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 06:01:01 AM »
Dan's sculpt is pretty awesome!

Dan had some serious talent but in my mind still a thief as I never received my completed Bela. So excuse me if I do not join in on the compliments.

OG, glad you received your piece. You did some justice to it.

Sal

Opera Ghost

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 10:23:37 AM »
  Dan had some serious talent but in my mind still a thief as I never received my completed Bela. So excuse me if I do not join in on the compliments.

OG, glad you received your piece. You did some justice to it.

Sal

I am so sorry to hear that Sal! I had conversations with another member when I ordered mine, as it was nearly two months after I ordered it. I am kind of experiencing that right now with communications from two other members and purchases, as they've become unresponsive. One is new to the site, but the other has been on for many years.

OG

Opera Ghost

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 10:25:15 AM »
OG, and I'm NOT just saying this............brother, that looks AWESOME!! You really should be proud of your work there!!

Thank you my Simian brotha! I am quite proud, but having seem other work here, just have a higher bar to strive for.

Zardoz

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 10:32:34 AM »
Great first paint !!
Great ironing job also maybe a little more starch !!
 chain_saw chain_saw chain_saw chain_saw