Author Topic: What we (UMA'ers) grew up on??? Remembering the fun.  (Read 11601 times)

CULT of FRANKENSTEIN

• Private First Class
  • "We belong, Dead!!!!"
Re: What we (UMA'ers) grew up on??? Remembering the fun.
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2011, 02:21:15 PM »
I remember a time where the toy aisle, was KING.
Not like today. Toys today, suck! :(

Unknown Primate

• Sergeant
  • Legend of Wildcat Creek
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2011, 06:41:11 PM »
Yeah, my wife & I were looking through a Christmas Catalog and both kept commenting on the lack of COOL toys!
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

Gasport

• Sergeant
  • pull my finger...
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2011, 07:43:40 PM »
Did any of you get this year's Sears Christmas Wishbook in the mail , yet?... More like a Wish-pamphlet! The size is about 6X8 inches and there are only a little over 100 pages. When i was a kid, getting the Wishbook was always a BIG, almost magical event. Within a few days i'd have pages folded and items circled, hoping my parents were paying attention to my not so subtle hints as to what i wanted most. Seeing this years version is nothing short of depressing. The toy section [once a large portion of the book]  is  like a bad joke.  I guess it's depleted condition is simply a reflection of the current economy, but nonetheless saddening to see what has become of this once cherished childhood tradition.   

bigbud

• Sergeant
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2011, 08:58:10 PM »
Hey ya Gasport! I feel the same.......what an incredible time to have been a kid. The Christmas catalogs were full of the most imaginative playthings! It often seems there is no longer any originality in toy concepts. Has it all been done already? I wouldn't think so. One area of concern for toy makers has to be liability claims. More than half the toys I had as a kid would be instant magnets for a law suit today.  Seems anything that little Johnny might stupidly harm himself with is subject to parental outrage (shared of course with their lawyers).    Buddy

Unknown Primate

• Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2011, 11:39:12 PM »
I still remember going through the Sears Christmas Catalog in the 60's - Heck, the toy section alone was huge!  Dinosaurs, G.I. Joes, Johnny West & his bunch, Captain Action, Major Matt Mason, castles, forts, army men, ventriliquist dummies, Creepy Crawlers, etc. - Wow!  I'd wear that catalog out drooling over all the coolness!

Does anyone remember the smaller size soldiers called The Tigers or Fighting Tigers?  They had Machine Gun Mike, Combat Kid, etc.  Even had a cool song in the commercials.  Man, I'm getting nostalgic!

*EDIT*   Just found this!

http://www.mninter.net/~caryho/tigers/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:48:31 PM by Unknown Primate »

Gasport

• Sergeant
  • pull my finger...
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2011, 12:59:41 AM »
Why no, UP...I have no idea what you're talking about. Please elaborate!  ;)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2011, 10:19:07 AM »
One area of concern for toy makers has to be liability claims. More than half the toys I had as a kid would be instant magnets for a law suit today.  Seems anything that little Johnny might stupidly harm himself with is subject to parental outrage (shared of course with their lawyers).

This is partially due to juries having a history of making outrageous awards against companies and partially due to there being little or no downside to suing. If plaintiffs could be jailed for launching frivolous lawsuits, this would change.

>:(
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:32:12 PM by Hepcat »
Collecting! It's what I do!

Zombiology

• Sergeant
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »
Reading all of these made me remember things for the first time in a long time.  I first saw the Universal classics when they were brought back for television thinking they were the coolest movies of all time (still do).  Then I got into Science Fiction Theater which was Thursday nights.  Back then, most SF films were monster movies anyway.  Of course Twilight Zone and Outer Limits quickly became favorites.  I still hold it against ABC when they came to town and turned one of our independents into an affiliate and we lost SF theater.

Then I discovered the Aurora monster kits and built every one of them.  Wish I knew what happened to them.  Stuck them on a shelf and when I would get bored, I'd just glance over.  Got Bats in the Belfry and The Green Ghost for consecutive Christmases.  I think I enjoyed setting them up as much as playing them.

By the time high school rolled around, I had gotten out of model building but some friends got me back into building the muscle cars.  One trip to the model store and I discovered Aurora had just released the glow kits so I defected from the muscle cars and built every one of them again.  Still have those but a recent move did not treat them well.  About the same time, the local ABC affiliate started showing a double feature of horror movies with their own host.  Victor Ives (kind of a Dracula with a stand-up personality) and his henchman who was a floating head some of the time and a character called Ravenscroft other times. Both were played by Jimmy Hollister who has now passed on.

By the time my kids started coming along (80s), I had a whole new audience to spread the interest to.  Son is now more into Rob Zombie (he is good) and my daughter, who loves the classics as much as I do, is turning me onto the foreign horror so it never stops.  Luckily the wife approves lol.

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
  • My blood now flows through her veins!
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »
The only things I felt cheated out of as a kid were toys based on "H.R. Pufnstuf." It took Toy Island 30 years, but I finally got Pufnstuf and Cling & Clang. Too bad we didn't get a Witchiepoo, though. Now, I did have that Kellogg's mail-in Freddy the Flute. Painted in with Testor's gold model paint, and painted his little diamonds white with silver speckling. Instantly destroyed its collectible value, of course!
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »
Then I discovered the Aurora monster kits and built every one of them.  Wish I knew what happened to them. 

By the time high school rolled around, I had gotten out of model building but some friends got me back into building the muscle cars.

What's sad is that model kits were a huge part of the childhood of many/most of us on this board but I understand that young boys have no interest in model kits anymore. It's all about the instant gratification available from video games these days.

:(
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:06:21 PM by Hepcat »

Unknown Primate

• Sergeant
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2011, 04:34:11 PM »
Why no, UP...I have no idea what you're talking about. Please elaborate!  ;)

DING!  And we have a WINNER!  I should'ave known!

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
  • My blood now flows through her veins!
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2011, 07:00:14 PM »
I used to alternate between the monster kits and sci-fi kits. I think I had all the classic Aurora monsters Jekyll/Hyde, The Salem Witch, and Bride of Frankenstein. I had the Starship Enterprise, Klingon Bird of Prey, and Space Station K-7. Had the "Space: 1999" kits, that glow-in-the-dark UFO and the "UFO" series kit. Had Luke's X-wing, Vader's TIE x-1 Advanced, and that huge Millennium Falcon kit from "Star Wars." Got the Monogram "ALIEN" kit, too. Took that to college with me, even (naturally, it didn't survive its first kegger).
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

CULT of FRANKENSTEIN

• Private First Class
  • "We belong, Dead!!!!"
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »
I used to alternate between the monster kits and sci-fi kits. I think I had all the classic Aurora monsters Jekyll/Hyde, The Salem Witch, and Bride of Frankenstein. I had the Starship Enterprise, Klingon Bird of Prey, and Space Station K-7. Had the "Space: 1999" kits, that glow-in-the-dark UFO and the "UFO" series kit. Had Luke's X-wing, Vader's TIE x-1 Advanced, and that huge Millennium Falcon kit from "Star Wars." Got the Monogram "ALIEN" kit, too. Took that to college with me, even (naturally, it didn't survive its first kegger).

Nice memory

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2013, 01:19:19 PM »
The Davis Variety on Richmond Street in my hometown of London, Ontario was a store exactly like a New York City candy store.  It was directly across the street from St. Peter's School where I was obligated by my parents to attend extracurricular language classes between 4:00 and 5:30 Saturday afternoons. It had the obligatory lunch counter which the fellow worked himself. I was never drawn to get anything at the lunch counter though (not that I would have had the money anyway of course). Unlike the lunch counters at the downtown Metropolitan, Kresge and Woolworths stores a few blocks away, it was pretty spartan and dingy and just didn't appeal to me. Mr. Davis himself was almost a comic book caricature of the old guy working a hot grill and his lunch counter never seemed to have any customers on Saturday afternoons. He probably got the bulk of his business frying up breakfast and lunch for the teachers at St. Peter's. And of course everybody smoked and read newspapers in those days including the teachers and the respective bishops, priests and staff at the adjacent St. Peter's Basilica and St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral. 

Davis' had most everything else to tempt a young boy with a quarter or two in his pocket though. It was one of the very few stores I knew that stocked Black Cat Bubble Gum which was licorice flavoured and was somehow chewier than Bazooka or even Dubble Bubble. I remember happily chewing on Black Cat and blowing black bubbles for hours!

I also very clearly remember buying baseball cards at Davis' every so often:

The wooden magazine rack was located on the other side of the store from the lunch counter and was thus well situated to sneak a peak at the insides of the titty mags. There would of course have been something wrong with any little boy who wouldn't glance at pictures of bare naked ladies given a chance. In fact, I'm sure that the priests from St. Peter's and St. Paul's, if not the bishops themselves, would have been taking the occasional peak as well.

It was at Davis' magazine rack though where I first encountered Green Lantern 26, 28 and 29 and the excitement I felt seeing those issues for the first time is still seared in my mind to this very day. In fact, I'm sure those comics are the reason why I still remember Davis' so vividly.

While St. Peter's and St. Paul's cathedrals are still there, 1979 was the last year for St. Peter's School and Davis Variety has also been gone for decades. I have a vague recollection of once getting a chocolate milkshake that wasn't actually very good at Davis Variety but I never got to sample a cheeseburger. You never know what you've got till it's gone.

:(

jimm

• Sergeant
  • The Foom Abides!
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »
  For my brothers and I it was growing up watching Bob Wilkins and Creature Features on weekend nights. Scooby Doo and the Night Stalker, along with syndicated Munsters and Addams Family after school.

Going to our school fair and tossing a soft ball in a milk jug to win both Groovie Goolie and Fat Albert PVCs. Bulding Dracula and the Phantom glow kits while marveling at the Monster Scenes store display at Uncle Ed's Toy Circus. A friend had an older brother who was a kit hoarder even back then, having a whole wall of his bedroom cover in kits!

Other toys I remember having were Colossus Rex, the Sears remote control Triceratops, numerous robots, and Micronauts. From cards, to comics, toys, playing baseball, and riding bikes the early to late 70s were a fun time to grow up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:24:00 PM by jimm »