Author Topic: What we (UMA'ers) grew up on??? Remembering the fun.  (Read 11534 times)

Jethro

• Corporal
Re: What we (UMA'ers) grew up on??? Remembering the fun.
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2011, 02:30:17 PM »
I grew grew up in the greatest time for monsters ever, the 60's and 70's.
Somewhat in order:
Aurora Frankenstein and Hunchback kits around '65.

The Battlewagon toy ship.

My cousin and my older brother buying Famous Monsters #35 and letting me look at it.

G.I. Joe's, especially the Soldiers of the World German soldier and motorcycle/sidecar.  Someone stole my German from my desk at school...I am still looking for the suspect.

Batman, Outer Limits, Lost in Space and collecting their gum cards.

Halloween and Christmas parties my dad threw for kids at the American Legion he was the manager of.
My first monster costume of Frankenstein (Ben Cooper).

Buying a stack of about 12 Famous Monsters for a quarter at a rummage sale when I was about 8.

Creepy People, Thing Maker, Creepy Crawlers.

My collection of Marx, Mattel toy guns.

The ravine/creek we played army in all year around.

WGN in Chicago's Creature Features and Milwaukee's Dr. Cadaverino (had to use the rotor on those two to get t.v. reception.

Hot Wheels Redlines (pre 1970, not the junk after that).

Super 8 monster movies, monster models; Aurora Prehistoric Scenes and Dr. Deadly stuff.

And in the middle of all this was a place called Silver Beach Amusement Park and The House of David ( a religeous sect formed in 1903 in Benton Harbor, Mi.  It was a self sustaining commune basically where the public could go there and enjoy the old time entertainment, ice cream, pony rides, go cart rides and a minature train rides ( you could hear the train whistle from our house a couple of miles away).  At night they had beautiful color lit fountains.  If you get a chance look this place up and look at the images
of the fantastic buildings, some of which are still intact and very creepy. When I was on the midnight shift on patrol, we sometimes had to look for fugitives hiding on the property.  I remember the wind and the shadows on a fall night there, very eerie.

BaronLatos35

• Sergeant
  • "Now's the time for scary things..."
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2011, 04:40:43 PM »
I was a 70's/80's kid...

Alan Ormsby's Movie Monsters, Count Gore's Creature Feature, AHI/Remco monsters, monster movies on Saturday afternoon and Saturday night, Halloween, comics, football, BMX bikes, mischief, water guns, firecrackers, beach vacations, Spanish food at my grandmother's on Sundays, reading, going to the pool, going to the library, playing soldiers, army men, AH wargames, seeing some cool movies on the big screen, records, summer vacations...

Then I turned 14 and I got my first job...
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
I was a 70's/80's kid...

Alan Ormsby's Movie Monsters, Count Gore's Creature Feature, AHI/Remco monsters, monster movies on Saturday afternoon and Saturday night, Halloween, comics, football, BMX bikes, mischief, water guns, firecrackers, beach vacations, Spanish food at my grandmother's on Sundays, reading, going to the pool, going to the library, playing soldiers, army men, AH wargames, seeing some cool movies on the big screen, records, summer vacations...

Then I turned 14 and I got my first job...

All great stuff! :D
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2011, 10:13:53 PM »
Great reminiscences by all!

8)

Overall though television and movies were not as big an influence on me growing up in the late fifties/early sixties as these were for many of you other fellows. I was always collecting things - cereal premiums including the CFL and baseball cards printed on the back of Post Cereals, whatever gum cards were being displayed in variety stores at the time, hockey and other premium coins available in potato chips, comic books, magazines whether Mad, Drag Cartoons, or Creepy and Eerie. I was also an avid builder of model kits, be they monsters, finks, warships, warplanes, slot cars or gas fired model planes. And one spring/summer I became an avid Duncan Spin Top enthusiast.

Then there was my original issue wooden skateboard with metal wheels very much like this Nash Shark skateboard:

We didn't do tricks with skateboards in those days. The idea was to find the longest, steepest incline with the most cracks and potholes in the pavement and try to make it all the way down to the bottom without falling to the ground. Cove Road was excellent for that purpose. And none of us ever hurt ourselves!

The problem was that I didn't have enough money to actively pursue any more than one and a half to maybe two of these interests at any one time, with the half being the cereal premiums since my parents of course funded the cereal. Whatever was my greatest enthusiasm that season therefore defined me as a kid and I would put aside whatever had been my defining enthusiasm the previous season. That's why so many of my childhood collections somehow went by the wayside.

But now I still remember and cherish them all!

8)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:54:09 AM by Hepcat »
Collecting! It's what I do!

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2011, 05:03:22 PM »
Man Hep, I used to LOVE those Duncan tops and yo-yos!!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

bigbud

• Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »
Hep! I still have my Shark skateboard! The shark image and writting on mine is green. As kids we had a cement floored basement with the furnace (a big monstrosity) in the center. We got very good at sitting on the skateboard and propelling ourselves with our hands......built cardboard tunnels to fly through and chased ourselves in circles for hours!   Buddy

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2011, 05:25:08 PM »
Hep! I still have my Shark skateboard! The shark image and writting on mine is green. As kids we had a cement floored basement with the furnace (a big monstrosity) in the center. We got very good at sitting on the skateboard and propelling ourselves with our hands......built cardboard tunnels to fly through and chased ourselves in circles for hours!   Buddy

My cousin had a basement like that with the Giganto-Furnace in the center..........but the vehicles of choice for us around that thing were BigWheels and Green Machines.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2011, 11:07:24 AM »
Hep! I still have my Shark skateboard! The shark image and writting on mine is green.

Yes indeed. They came in several different colours. I "won" one on Ebay about four years ago but it's not as pristine as the one I've pictured.

:(

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2011, 10:53:19 AM »
Man Hep, I used to LOVE those Duncan tops and yo-yos!!

I got pretty decent with my spin top. I could do the Round the World trick where you flung your top behind your back and then caught it spinning in the palm of your hand. The trick I never properly mastered was the Man in the Flying Trapeze one where you caught the spinning top in mid air with the string and then flung it up again back into your hand. I knew of a couple other fellows in the schoolyard, Ed Keeler and Joe Švilpa, who could do those.

8)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:35:36 AM by Hepcat »

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2011, 05:58:11 AM »
Classic and pretty cool!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

CULT of FRANKENSTEIN

• Private First Class
  • "We belong, Dead!!!!"
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2011, 12:05:47 PM »
Duncan rules!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »
Indeed it does. I have a whole box of twenty or so different ones. Here's a sample:

I'm still trying to find some Whistlers because the first Duncan top I bought as a kid was a Whistler. I quickly graduated to a plastic Imperial but I've not been able to find one of those either. I have a vague recollection that they were 29 cents or 39 cents for the regular wooden ones back in 1963 and 39 cents or 49 cents for the fancier ones such as the Whistlers and Imperials.

8)

Elisabeth

• Sergeant
  • "...Oh, Heaven...what is this?"
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2011, 07:43:07 PM »
I first saw my beloved BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN at the age of 6, and have loved my "monsters" ever since.  I remember also going to the five and ten with my brother, and buying my first copy of FM a couple of years later. (g)  My bro was 14 at the time, and we had a sort of "armed truce".  We respected each other's private lives, and neither of us have ever ratted about each other's magazines.  (g).  I did lose my first copy, but managed to retrieve it from the trash can.  My brother then taught me how to position it between the mattress and the box spring.  There WERE no "Monster Girls" in the Kennedy era 1960s.  By 1969, things were different.  I had my first copy of Bram Stoker and my first copy of Mary Shelley, as well as a full length poster of Boris Karloff on my bedroom door.  God Bless  Fred Gwynne...even the most conservative of mothers was lulled by the wacky humour and sweetness of Herman Munster!

The rest was history....wonderful history.  Seeing FRANKENSTEIN and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN  on the "Big" screen of my high school auditorium.  That Christmas, I also received my first unofficial bit of art.  It was a huge, solid glass door stop in the shape of a giant whale.  Mom never understood why I named it "James".  Now she knows....having 'met' the man himself!

"E"  ededed
"....I do hope he won't upset Henry..."

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2011, 10:15:26 AM »
I remember also going to the five and ten with my brother, and buying my first copy of FM a couple of years later. (g)  My bro was 14 at the time, and we had a sort of "armed truce".  We respected each other's private lives, and neither of us have ever ratted about each other's magazines.  (g).  I did lose my first copy, but managed to retrieve it from the trash can.  My brother then taught me how to position it between the mattress and the box spring.  There WERE no "Monster Girls" in the Kennedy era 1960s.

Very cool! A pact against killjoy parents born of mutual convenience!

8)

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2011, 09:06:34 AM »
Very cool! A pact against killjoy parents born of mutual convenience!

8)

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.