Gosh!!! Any Punk/New Wave/Dark Wave music fans in UMAland?!?

Started by marsattacks666, June 20, 2011, 02:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monolith

The Damned are great! Siouxsie and the Banshees I like a lot. I saw Siouxsie and Budgie as the Creatures years ago. I have all the Birthday Party's stuff on cd, like them a lot, too and the B-girls are really fun.

Here's a band that don't really fit into any category, except maybe "outsider" music, music made by people with no musical training. Three sisters from New Hampshire (hear the accent) encouraged to play music by their parents who foresaw their stardom. Their inept playing, lyrical honesty and raw intuitiveness gained them some famous fans like Frank Zappa and Kurt Cobain. Here's their "philosophy of the world" from 1969...

Philosophy of the world - The Shaggs

Wicked Lester

I remember having what I think was the first Dead Boys album. I was checking it out thinking the P's were out. When "Caught with the Meat in Yer Mouth" cranked in my mom came storming in the living room and had a tirade.

The Shaggs... ??? OMG they suck. to quote Homer Simpson. "They are about the suckiest sucking band that ever sucked that bad" Or something like that.

BlackLagoon

This definitely leans more towards that old dirty speed/black metal sound i.e. Venom, Bathory....but there is an undeniable punk vibe going on, that dirty sloppy Discharge stuff that I love.

I stumbled on this the other day and promise to order everything they put out....I f'ing LOVE this!

http://youtu.be/ggzl1eHiE_8
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

Hepcat

Quote from: Wicked Lester on July 21, 2011, 11:31:00 PM
I remember having what I think was the first Dead Boys album. I was checking it out thinking the P's were out. When "Caught with the Meat in Yer Mouth" cranked in my mom came storming in the living room and had a tirade.

Dead Boys - Caught With the Meat in Your Mouth

Did she make out the lyrics or was it just the noise factor of the album that prompted her tirade?

Quote from: Wicked Lester on July 21, 2011, 11:31:00 PM
The Shaggs... ??? OMG they suck. to quote Homer Simpson. "They are about the suckiest sucking band that ever sucked that bad" Or something like that.

I agree. They're not punk. They're just awful.

:o
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monolith

Hepcat

The two biggest punk bands in Toronto in early 1977 were the Viletones and the Poles.

One of the venues in which I saw the Viletones was the Turning Point which was upstairs on Bloor Street. The place was packed that evening and it was claustrophobic and hot despite the fact that fall had turned to winter. Guitarist Freddy Pompeii kept the impatient crowd waiting by tuning up of all things! I mean what's with that? Vocalist Steve Leckie a.k.a. Nazi Dog eventually commented "a$*h*l**'s always tuning up!" at which point somebody yelled "What's the point?"

I may have been wearing my suit and tie, like why bother to change your work clothing for a Viletones concert for Christ's sake? I waited for a break in their set and in the spirit of the occasion shouted "You suck! Get off the bloody stage!" To this Steve responded "Oh man, oh man, you know you just feed my ego with your insults!"

THE VILETONES-screaming fist

I dropped into Steve's clothing store on Queen Street, Les Fleurs du Mal, in the mid nineties to ask whether he remembered the night. He did. He was quite pleasant about it but stopped short of thanking me profusely.

I saw the Poles at Larry's Hideaway on Carlton Street in 1977. Now they could play and lead singer Michaele Jordana was one hot piece of ass if I do say so myself.

CN Tower by The Poles

8)

Monolith

Wicked Lester

Cool stories Hep.
This is my fave D.B song. BTW I always thought Stiv Bators was kind of a DI#$.

Dead Boys - Sonic Reducer

2nd man Cheetah Chrome had the band Cheetah Chrome M.F's.
Not bad but certainly not up there.

B.L
Long time dude. I LOOved Discharge back then. Yea for sure dirty metal/H.C mix. I got tanked and put so many holes in my apt. walls being pissed off at the government to there stuff I can't even count them all.

I haven't HEARD this in probably 20 years tho I can remember the whole thing in my head. DAMN,no wonder I had holes in my walls.
Hated government. Still do.
Hated my job. ...Still do 4 jobs later.
Hated the corporations...uumm...still do.
Fuel for the fire.
Hell,at 51 and owning a house I guess I'm still at least part punk.

Discharge - Cries of Help

packy120353

Holy Cow! I tried listening to that song and almost fell off my chair. How can they even sing so out of sync with the drum beat? I couldn't do that if I tried.

Hepcat

Hepcat

I was working out at the World Gym on Yonge Street near Wellesley Street in downtown Toronto around the turn of the millennium. I spotted a heavily tattooed but lithe young lady working out with what appeared to be a bodyguard! When I enquired about this at the front desk, the response I received was "Oh, that's Bif Naked! The bodyguard is because there's a lot of weird people out there." To which I responded "But it looks to me as if weirding people out is precisely Bif Naked's business. She's not the one who needs the bodyguard."

Bif Naked - Spaceman

Nothing else Matters (cover) - Bif Naked

Here's a review I wrote of a Bif Naked concert two years ago:

Bif Naked was heading up a bill at the Mod Club on College Street in Toronto on June 13th. We decided that attending the show was the best of the available options that night (and certainly a welcome alternative to staring fixatedly at a computer screen) so off we went. The location required only that we board the Gerrard-College streetcar fifty metres from my front door and take in the scenery for thirty minutes until we stepped off in front of the Mod Club just before 7:00 PM. (The streetcar is my preferred mode of transport around town. I'm of the opinion that a gentleman reserves his car for street racing and aimless cruising purposes only. A beast of burden it's not.) Bif Naked's tour bus was already parked out front.

We were greeted by a small lineup at the door which gave me the opportunity to study the demographics of the crowd. It was diverse. Everything from twenty year old punks to semi respectable retirees still hungry for some good rock. Once inside, we secured a decent vantage point by the rail off to one side of the stage. Unfortunately there's no seats at the Mod Club.

The Manvils, a band from Vancouver, opened for her and were quite good. I actually liked them better than Nine Inch Nails or Jane's Addiction! I'd describe their music as 21st century garage. Since we were only ten feet or so from the stage, I was able to offer them some helpful advice and the lead singer was only momentarily taken aback by my suggestion for them to get haircuts and a bath.

Bif Naked was on by 8:30 PM. She's wearing her hair in a pixie cut now but that's the only indication that she's been battling breast cancer. She was as loud and energetic as ever and put on a show that met the demanding quality standards of the assembled multitude.

In fact, it even exceeded that of one fellow who had brought his nine year old daughter along to the show when Bif Naked proceeded to perform the tender ditty "f&*% You Too!" for which she invited and received enthusiastic audience participation. The fellow hugged his daughter and left shortly thereafter. Excuse me! I mean you did bring your daughter to see a woman who's covered in tattoos. What did you expect?

She ended the show with a fine rendition of Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters". We were out looking for further entertainments by 9:30 PM. Very civilized if I do say so myself.

8)

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

This band exploded onto the punk/new wave scene after playing CBGB's in the late seventies:

B52s Rock lobster

They had both the retro punk look and a sound unlike any other.

8)

BlackLagoon

Quote from: Wicked Lester on July 22, 2011, 02:32:24 AM
B.L
Long time dude. I LOOved Discharge back then. Yea for sure dirty metal/H.C mix. I got tanked and put so many holes in my apt. walls being pissed off at the government to there stuff I can't even count them all.

I haven't HEARD this in probably 20 years tho I can remember the whole thing in my head. DAMN,no wonder I had holes in my walls.
Hated government. Still do.
Hated my job. ...Still do 4 jobs later.
Hated the corporations...uumm...still do.
Fuel for the fire.
Hell,at 51 and owning a house I guess I'm still at least part punk.

Hey WL! Yeah I pop in and out, so damn busy lately!

Great post! I'll tell ya a few years back Discharge reformed and released a self titled CD...here is a track you might dig...apparently the old school hardcore fans are just brutal towards the front man but I think this is a great CD! Hopefully you get a kick out of it! I know the new singer is a guy named Rat and judging by the amount of hate the fans post on their youtube...I have no idea how he stays with the band.

http://youtu.be/azmC1u9qPvI
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."