Favourite brands of soda pop!

Started by Hepcat, June 06, 2011, 01:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count_Zirock

Either Diet Rite Black Cherry or Diet Cheerwine. Both are sweetened with Splenda. Diet Cheerwine's cherry flavor is a bit more aggressive, and also has caffeine.
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Hepcat

Cream soda seems to be a popular choice. I wonder if everyone realizes that this wild looking beverage is flavoured by plain, ordinary vanilla?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

charp13

OooH- I LOVE Sprite or Sprite Zero with fresh squeezed lime juice mixed in!   YUM! 

Illoman

Quote from: LundyAfterMidnight on June 07, 2011, 06:52:17 AM
I've a handful of Coke Santa things. It wouldn't be Christmas w/out him!

Amen to that, Lundy!!!

Elisabeth

Flower mentioned Hoffmann's sodas.  They were the absolute BEST for Creme Soda.  It's got to be almost 50 years, but I remember being in the car on Rte 22 in New Jersey.  We were always going to visit my Grandparents in East Orange, and we'd pass a Hoffmann's Bottling plant on the way.  They had a huge watertower shaped like a pop bottle, and they'd change the "flavour" every 6 months.  It was usually ginger ale or club soda.

I don't remember exactly when Hoffmann's sold out...but I was still young enough to be upset when I saw my ginger ale bottle newly painted  as Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer!

"E"
"....I do hope he won't upset Henry..."

Flower

^^^ You couldn't turn on the radio without hearing ...

"The prettiest girl I ever saw .. was sipping Hoffman's thru a straw"

I attempted to find a video of the jingle but failed.

There isn't too much written on Hoffman's other than what Elisabeth already posted.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Hepcat

Quote from: Elisabeth on June 09, 2011, 04:57:57 AM
Flower mentioned Hoffmann's sodas.  They were the absolute BEST for Creme Soda.

I've been told that Hoffman's cream soda was creamy tan in colour. Is that consistent with your memories?

I grew up with cream sodas that were red - Wishing Well, Kist, and Stubby's. When Wishing Well bottled a clear cream soda along with its red for a time in the mid-sixties, I was absolutely astonished. The only mainline cream soda widely sold around Toronto these days is Crush which is also red but doesn't have the bite that I remember Wishing Well having. Crush cream soda is comparatively smooth.

???

judd

One of my local grocery stores recently began selling Mexican bottled Coca-Cola.  It is really good.

CreepysFan

Quote from: judd on June 10, 2011, 01:23:05 AM
One of my local grocery stores recently began selling Mexican bottled Coca-Cola.  It is really good.

How is it different ?  Descriptions required.   C:)
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Street Worm

I really don't drink much soda, but I'll go with anything from Avery's-

In the old neighborhood...
used to stop by on our bikes, watch 'em make soda, sample the flavor of the week...
I was kinda thrilled to see they're still going strong~  ;D

judd

Quote from: CreepysFan on June 10, 2011, 06:57:28 AM

How is it different ?  Descriptions required.   C:)

It comes in 12 ounce glass bottles.  It has a stronger taste and more flavor than the US version of Coke.  It is made with sugar cane and not high fructose corn syrup.  Basically it tastes like Coke did years ago.  I found it in Price Chopper but there are other stores around the country which sell it.  Sam's Club often sells it.  The bottle has Spanish language on it but when it's sold in the US they place a white sticker label on the bottle. 

The head of the company said there is no difference between Mexican Coca-Cola and the US version but most customers disagree.

Hepcat

Quote from: Street Worm on June 10, 2011, 09:17:04 AM
I really don't drink much soda, but I'll go with anything from Avery's-

In the old neighborhood...
used to stop by on our bikes, watch 'em make soda, sample the flavor of the week...
I was kinda thrilled to see they're still going strong~  ;D

Interesting!

8)

Moonshadow

When I was really young, the folks couldn't afford to buy actual Coca Cola or Pepsi, so we would get these 24 packs of Shasta or Cragmont Cola.These packs typically consisted of grape, lemon-lime, and root beer, I believe.  There might have been orange too; I can't recall for sure, although I know the grape and root beer would disappear first. We drank the stuff but it was never all that exciting. It was still a treat to go to the mom and pop store once in awhile and spend some of my allowance on a bottle of honest to goodness Coke.

Then in my early teens, Dad's position at work improved and suddenly we had "the real thing", Coke,  in the house! Those were the days of milk and honey -and Coke!

Scatter

Quote from: Moonshadow on June 11, 2011, 05:09:10 AM
When I was really young, the folks couldn't afford to buy actual Coca Cola or Pepsi, so we would get these 24 packs of Shasta or Cragmont Cola.These packs typically consisted of grape, lemon-lime, and root beer, I believe.  There might have been orange too; I can't recall for sure, although I know the grape and root beer would disappear first. We drank the stuff but it was never all that exciting. It was still a treat to go to the mom and pop store once in awhile and spend some of my allowance on a bottle of honest to goodness Coke.

Then in my early teens, Dad's position at work improved and suddenly we had "the real thing", Coke,  in the house! Those were the days of milk and honey -and Coke!

Well, our common childhood deprivations worked out for me, because to this day I still LOVE Shasta and Fanta sodas.  :)
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Elisabeth

My favourites were Hoffmann's Ginger Ale, Hoffmann's Cream and The "Radar O'Reilly" Special...Grape Nehi.  I went to summer camp in Cooperstown, NY, in 1962-63....and they still had it.  A strong, Concord flavour...wicked fizz and gorgeous colour.  I remember it as being the exact opposite on Nehi Orange.....melted orange lollipops mixed with day-glo colour.

"E"   ededed
"....I do hope he won't upset Henry..."