Showcase your Warren mags here!

Started by Hepcat, May 16, 2011, 03:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on June 06, 2016, 06:12:35 PM
I was curious about the demand for Blazing Combat mags since I haven't been on the hunt for them in over a decade. I checked eBay and found this BIN listing for a #1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLAZING-COMBAT-MAGAZINE-1-1965-VF-NM-VERY-RARE-WARREN-FRAZETTA-/370957760671?hash=item565ece389f:g:qVkAAOSwPe1T8-YE

Very rare?!!!!  ::)  Bullfeathers! Anyone selling magazines should know that the generally accepted definition of "Very Rare" from Overstreet is "one to ten copies in existence".

>:(
Collecting! It's what I do!

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on June 06, 2016, 08:31:55 PM
Very rare?!!!!  ::)  Bullfeathers! Anyone selling magazines should know that the generally accepted definition of "Very Rare" from Overstreet is "one to ten copies in existence".

>:(
I'm leery of sellers who toss around terms like "Very Rare" (and, especially "Mint", though that isn't the case here). By the accepted Overstreet definition the seller is obviously wrong about rarity, and that doesn't lend much credence to the seller's skill at grading. It's not like we have an idea of grade by evidence of that inferior photo. I've learned that sellers will state absolutely anything to make a sale. That's why scans are used for comics and mags, to give some measure of proof. If I don't see a good scan of front and back covers on expensive books I avoid it like the plague. A book this expensive should also show pics of the interior page quality. Regarding his money back guarantee, that can be problematic and could well end up by having to open a case with eBay to get a refund. Who wants to invite the time and trouble that could cost?

All of this aside though, Blazing Combat #1 is uncommon compared to the other issues. The reason you see as many listings as you do is because the high price motivates sellers to list them.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Copies of Wildest Westerns are in general tougher to find than Blazing Combat.

:)

horrorhunter

I still need to get those Warren Westerns at some point. There were 2 issues of Favorite, and 4 issues of Wildest. Three had Jack Davis covers and two had Basil Gogos covers, with #1 being a photo cover.
http://monstermagazinegalleries.blogspot.com/2010/03/wilest-westerns.html

There are listings for all of them on eBay currently. Mid-grade issues aren't really that expensive. High grade copies of any of them would be exceedingly difficult to find. Aside from the Saha book, Eerie #1 Ashcan, a couple of early FM variants, and a couple of issues of Screen Thrills Illustrated, I have every Warren issue. I don't think I'll ever have the whole thing because of the prohibitive price of a few of those missing books, but those Westerns are well worth getting.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

The Creeps isn't Warren proper, but it's the closest thing we'll ever see to it. Here's a review from Monster Magazine World:

Since Warren's original run of CREEPY from 1964 - 1983 (145 issues) there have been numerous attempts at reviving the spirit of the vaunted magazine-sized horror comic book. Dark Horse acquired the rights to the Warren title and branding, including the image of Uncle Creepy, as well as the rights to reprint the backlog. The resulting series of "Creepy Archives" is impressive, but disappointingly, the new version of the title was shrunk to a standard comic book size, exactly the opposite of Warren's work-around to the albeit weakening stranglehold of the Comics Code Authority which caused the self-immolation of many horror comic publishers in the mid-1950s who were either unwilling or unwitting enough to adapt to the new rules.

Another, indie-produced horror comic, BLOKE'S TERRIBLE TOMB OF TERROR, uses similar design features and themes to CREEPY. Publisher/writer Jason Crawley (really!) and artist Mike Hoffman and Co. do a pretty good job of it, but don't quite hit the heart with the stake.

Then, from out of the blue (or the grave, as Unca' Creepy would probably say) comes THE CREEPS, a brand-new, magazine-sized horror comic that is an unapologetic, unabashed, near clone of CREEPY. Now in its sixth issue, THE CREEPS is the closest thing yet to a true homage to the original, so close in fact, that one could say it is a pastiche. It is obviously deliberate by design, and while other attempts capture the "look" of CREEPY, THE CREEPS not only accomplishes that, but it also actually "feels" like the old CREEPY.

Granted, we will never again see the likes of a team of writers and artists that shepherded the early years of CREEPY. These consummate professionals were the crème de la crème of illustrators that had cut their teeth and sharpened their pencils over the drawing board for EC, the greatest line of horror comics ever, for chrissakes!

In this latest issue of Warrant Publishing's THE CREEPS however, one can see artists clearly under the spell of the aforementioned genius loci of horror comics. What you have here is a bullpen of artists like the Reed Crandall-esque Reno Maniquis, the Wally Wood-esque Jason Paulos, the Orlando-esque Mansyur Daman and the Brunner-esque Mike Dubisch, all combined to achieve a vague, but eerily (no pun intended) reminiscent appearance of the original. Even the mag's mascot, The Old Creep, is a blatant swipe of Uncle Creepy. Editor Rich Sala, writing as "Artie" Goodwin has brought aboard a capable stable of story scripters, including Warren alumni Nicola Cuti and Don Glut. And yes, the stories themselves have that old touch of the macabre and sardonic, with twist endings that hit the mark nearly every time.

I have to admit, I was a little leery with the first couple of issues, but the last two or so have shown a significant improvement in the writing as well as the art moving in the direction of more traditional draughtsmanship as opposed to modernist comic illustration. Issue #6 even sports a Frazetta cover! And I would be remiss to mention the anti-tobacco ad on the letters page as was seen in the original Warren 'zine?

I'm looking forward to more of THE CREEPS. Now that it's selling well enough to be put on the shelves at Barnes & Noble, it is hopeful that a new wave of readers will catch on to the entertainment found between its covers.

http://monstermagazineworld.blogspot.com/?zx=91e498f80a88d88c

And here's a review by me: The Creeps captures the spirit of classic Warren, and comes close to the quality. It's inexpensive and it's damn good... so get it!  ;)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Here's an eBay auction listing for Famous Monsters Of Filmland issues 1-100 plus 9 Yearbooks that ended for $1,857 with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Famous-Monsters-1-to-100-COMPLETE-RUN-Fearbooks-1-9-Warren-Horror-Magazines-/132076063305?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=8uWcWgvJT7S5JYWXcbJKxuajGdw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

What an incredibly DUMB way to sell highly valued items! If the more expensive issues were listed in separate auctions the seller could have realized several times that amount. True, it would have taken time and effort but the payoff would have been more than worth it. And it was a professional comic book dealer that sold them! They might have been on consignment from a third party which means the actual owner had to pay the dealer a hefty cut. The only one that made out great here is the buyer who got one helluva deal. Stupid way to sell a run of FM. ???
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mike Scott

Quote from: horrorhunter on February 02, 2017, 03:14:07 AM
What an incredibly DUMB way to sell highly valued items!

Wow, you bet! Congrats to the buyer! Not perfect, but a nice looking bunch of mags.

Did the '72 YB come out after issue #100? Should have included it, anyway, just to make it an even 100 issues.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

horrorhunter

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 02, 2017, 03:31:20 AM
Wow, you bet! Congrats to the buyer! Not perfect, but a nice looking bunch of mags.

Did the '72 YB come out after issue #100? Should have included it, anyway, just to make it an even 100 issues.
FM #100 came out in '73.

If had the extra money I would have bid a little over $2K with the intention of upgrading some of mine and flipping the rest. Of course we don't know what the high bidder's max was.. it could have been over $3K but I doubt it. I would list them all separately as Buy It Now at just under full retail and just be patient. The ones that didn't sell after a couple of re-listings maybe add Make Offer and wait a bit more.

This deal would be a dream come true to someone just starting an FM collection. It took me years to complete mine and even though I got some good deals I still paid much more than these went for. Still can't figure why a big-time dealer like Sparkle City would sell this way.  ???
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mike Scott

Quote from: horrorhunter on February 02, 2017, 04:17:25 AM
FM #100 came out in '73.

And the '72YB came out in '71, so it should have been included in this "complete" deal.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

horrorhunter

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 02, 2017, 05:19:00 AM
And the '72YB came out in '71, so it should have been included in this "complete" deal.
I have no idea why it wasn't included. Maybe they didn't have a copy. But, you're right, chronologically the '72 Fearbook fell within the time range.

Here's a pic:

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on February 02, 2017, 03:14:07 AMTrue, it would have taken time and effort....

That's the key right there. A lot of people just aren't willing to put in the effort into maximizing their sales price.

In fact one of my buddies just disposed of dozens of silver coins issued by the Royal Canadian Mint in the last few decades. I was aghast when I learned that he just went to the closest "We buy your gold/silver place". :o  They of course just paid him some discounted percentage of the silver content's value. These fellows would have then flipped the coins to one of the local coin dealers for closer to the actual value of the silver content. So why didn't my buddy take his coins to three or four of the local coin dealers to get their (higher) bids? The apathetic twerp just couldn't be bothered.

::)

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on February 02, 2017, 03:51:54 PM
That's the key right there. A lot of people just aren't willing to put in the effort into maximizing their sales price.
Quite true, Hep.

It's always a decision to weigh the time/effort against potential gain. In the FM auction example above I would have put the effort in to earn 2 or 3 extra $K.  ;)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

ORIGINAL 'CREEPY' COVER ART

A bizarre painting by Vic Prezio adorns the cover of Warren's CREEPY #28. This original art is shown here with the story inside the magazine that it depicted.

Vic Prezio Creepy #28 Cover Original Art (Warren, 1969). Surprisingly, from the story "The Doorway" and not from the story "Valley of the Vampires" in this issue. Prezio's work is familiar with fans of both Warren's magazines, as well as fans of his covers for Gold Key comics. This terrifying cover image was inspired by a panel on Page 4 of this tale. It was created in oil on illustration board. It has been matted with an aperture of 17.25" x 20.5". In Excellent condition.

Read the entire story The Doorway! at MONSTER MAGAZINE WORLD: https://monstermagazineworld.blogspot.com/?zx=af2ad5a10e8debc2
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

John Pertwee

I just picked up Eerie #2-8 and #10 in a trade.

These were the heavy hitters, but he has some more later issues and some Creepy issues I don't have so I'll have some more to show in a few weeks.

horrorhunter

Here's the 411, direct from the publisher:

James Warren was the visionary publisher of Famous Monsters of Filmland, the magazine that fueled the movie monster craze of the 1960s, and inspired such future filmmakers as Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Joe Dante. Warren went on to publish Help!, Harvey Kurtzman's satirical magazine that featured early work by Gloria Steinem, Terry Gilliam, Robert Crumb, and Diane Arbus. With Creepy and Eerie, Warren popularized the black-and-white comics magazine and ran covers by the legendary painter Frank Frazetta before Frazetta was a superstar. Warren's magazines established a new category of popular fiction, a transitional step toward the graphic novel. They included art by over 30 Hall of Fame talents such as Wallace Wood, Steve Ditko, Alex Toth, Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson, Al Williamson and many others. His most famous creation (co-created with Forrest J. Ackerman) was the sensual Vampirella, who debuted in her own magazine in 1969 and who continues to be published today.

Bill Schelly's Empire of Monsters features numerous eye-opening, often outrageous anecdotes about Warren, a colorful, larger-than-life figure whose ability as a publisher, promoter, and provocateur makes him a fascinating character study.

Pages: 272
Colors: full color
Format: Hardcover
Dimensions: 6" x 9"
ISBN-13: 9781683961475

Pre-order at FANTAGRAPHICS or AMAZON.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...