Author Topic: Brand New Full Movie Trailer For Conan The Barbarian  (Read 1079 times)

emazers

• Sergeant

charp13

• Sergeant
Re: Brand New Full Movie Trailer For Conan The Barbarian
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:19:22 PM »
Ooooooooh!  It looks like it has a lot of stuff going on! Which means that it will hold my attention  :)   I'm not familiar with the actor playing Conan, but during the course of the trailer, I started digging him. Rose McGowan looks interesting and the end logo was pretty cool. I'll probably give it a whirl!

Creature Features

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:21:53 AM »
He reminds me of the Barry Windsor-Smith version of Conan, as opposed to the John Buscema version from the comics....

Personality-wise, i hope he's more like the character from Howard's novels as opposed to the Schwarzenegger version from the last set of movies....Conan's not just a hack and slash muscle-head...he's a cunning, crafty warrior. I want to see that on the big screen.
"It's Alive...oh, It's Alive! It's Alive, It's Alive...IT'S ALIVE!!!"

zombiehorror

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:28:49 AM »
This was part of the Epix free line up this weekend so I went ahead and dvr'd it.  I thought it was ok, it certainly works as a sword, sandal & sorcery film but it probably doesn't live up to any "Conan" expectations.

I'm surprised to find that this film only made $48,795,021 (on a budget of $90 million) whereas other current sword, sandal & sorcery films have done rather well~

The Scorpion King(2002); $165,333,180 (budget of $60 million), of course it had the Mummy films (which did huge money) as lead ins

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time(2010); $369,096,619 (budget of $150$200 million)

Clash of the Titans(2010); $493,214,993 (budget of $125 million), this one much like Conan had to life up to a much considered classic film but it at least didn't have to life up to novels/comics based on the mythos.....just an entire religion?!

Wrath of the Titans(2012); $281,529,000 (budget of $150 million), obviously not a whole lot of Clash of the Titans(2010) film goers ran out to theaters to see this one but still it profited

If you've enjoyed any of the other flicks mentioned or like sword and sandals to begin with then there is no reason not to sit back, grab some popcorn (or candy), your favorite beverage and just enjoy this flick......unless you can't get over the name Conan or Arnold for that matter!

raycastile

• Sergeant Major
    • The Gallery of Monster Toys
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:27:57 PM »
The movie flopped because audiences still identify Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan.  Based on the trailers, my impression of the new Conan was that they had cast a generic pretty-boy in the lead.  He was obviously no "barbarian," and did not have the charisma or screen presence to fill Arnold's shoes.
Raymond Castile

zombiehorror

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »
The movie flopped because audiences still identify Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan.  Based on the trailers, my impression of the new Conan was that they had cast a generic pretty-boy in the lead.  He was obviously no "barbarian," and did not have the charisma or screen presence to fill Arnold's shoes.

I don't know that anyone 30 and under identifies Conan as Schwarzenegger, they probably didn't identify him (Conan) with anybody or have a clue who the character was in the first place, especially the average cinema goer! ;)  All I know is that there was tons of action and Jason Momoa did just fine in the role, I didn't think he was generic at all though I suppose some may find him a "pretty-boy"; Again maybe not everyone's idea of Conan but then again the "82" version wasn't either and not everyone agreed with the casting but of course he was probably better than the other considered options; Charles Bronson, Sylvester Stallone or William Smith.

A theory on Conan the Barbarian (1982) from Prof. Kenneth Gunden from Flights of Fancy: The Great Fantasy Films (c1989);
"for every positive review the film garnered, it received two negative ones."

If you get a chance to see it give it a shot you may be pleasantly surprised!

Just thought of another reason why the box office might not have done as well, this film was a well deserved R whereas all the others mentioned were PG-13; Conan is pretty bloody/graphic and the fighting is up close 'n' personal, there is also an ample amount of breasts (female and male  :o) shown early on!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:36:16 PM by zombiehorror »

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
  • My blood now flows through her veins!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:02:43 PM »
A friend of mine who's a huge Conan fan thought the new one "was OK," but was hoping for something closer to the Robert E. Howard books and less "Marvel Comics Meets Conan '82." Generally speaking, though, I'd have to agree that there just isn't the familiarity with the character of Conan that there once was.
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Big Bad Wolf

• Sergeant
  • Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »
I thought it was good. Could have been great. I could live with some changes in other areas if the spirit of the Howard stories was intact. Still wondering how the Solomon Kane movie fared in that department.
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf! Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Lala lala laaa...

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 05:13:06 PM »
Still wondering how the Solomon Kane movie fared in that department.
Really, what the heck happened to that movie?! I thought it would at least have gone to cable or homevid by now!

Big Bad Wolf

• Sergeant
  • Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 05:41:22 PM »
Really, what the heck happened to that movie?! I thought it would at least have gone to cable or homevid by now!
Not in the U.S. at least. It's been out in the UK for a while, but alas...no U.S. release yet aside from the occasional festival showing.
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf! Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Lala lala laaa...

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 05:50:03 PM »
Not in the U.S. at least. It's been out in the UK for a while, but alas...no U.S. release yet aside from the occasional festival showing.
Yeah, I looked it up. Paramount's the US distributor. They're supposedly releasing it "this year." Since there are no trailers yet, guessing it's getting a fall or Christmas release.

BaronLatos35

• Sergeant
  • "Now's the time for scary things..."
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 08:06:57 PM »
I never read the original Conan books, my Conan education came from the comics (especially Savage Sword) and the '82 movie.

When I saw the trailer I was excited. One, Conan is bad ass. Two, my wife is a Game of Thrones fans and the new Conan was the character Drago in that series. I've seen parts of the show, and the Drago character was vicious. I thought he was going to bring that same vicious flavor to the Conan role.

Sadly I was mistaken. The movie was OK, but I was disappointed in Conan. He just seemed a little soft. When Drago pledged to annihilate his enemies in one episode, I couldn't wait to see him transfer that alpha male flavor to the Conan role.

It didn't happen in my opinion. I still watch it when it come son cable because I am a Conan fan and I still think the new actor can do it. I don't know why it did not happen.
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."