Cartoons

Started by general gruesome, May 04, 2011, 01:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general gruesome

What are some of your guys' favorite cartoons?

RedKing

I love classic short subjct animation, particulay Warner Brothers and MGM. I am also a big fan of late 50s, early 60s HB cartoons and other TV cartoons of that era. Not really a Diosney fan at all, personally I think Chuck Jones and Tex Avery were far more interesting. I am also a big fan of Japanese anime from the 60s-the 80s, most anime from the late 80s on has not been very much to my liking. Classic shows like Mazinger Z, Gatchaman and Macross are my favorites. As I often say, Giant robots-always a good choice!
Crazy am I? We'll see if I'm crazy or not!

general gruesome

I enjoy the 20s black-and-white shorts and also some 30s-40s shorts. I am a fan of Tex Avery, also

Pauspy

Quote from: general gruesome on May 04, 2011, 02:02:29 AM
I enjoy the 20s black-and-white shorts and also some 30s-40s shorts. I am a fan of Tex Avery, also

I agree Tex Avery was an insane genius. His Screwy Squirrel cartoons took double-takes to a new level, and his "Red Hot Riding Hood" and other "hot chick" shorts were awesome on multiple levels (apparently the cels of the "chick" kept getting stolen!). In addition to the ones already mentioned, the Tom & Jerry shorts done by H & B when they were at MGM were hilarious, in many ways the equal of stuff being produced at Warners. Even Walter Lantz had a few hits with his Woody Woodpecker cartoons, though many of those were written/ aninmated by Warner's alums who were looking for a softer job after leaving the pressure cooker of termite terrace.

For TV stuff I LOVED the action cartoons made by HB in the mid 60's. Johhny Quest had to top them all, but Space Ghost , the Herculoids , Galaxy Trio, even Birdman were solid outings, with incredible production music to pace the action.

On the downside, I'd list Space Angel or any of the other "syncro-vox" disasters!
Supernatural, perhaps; baloney, perhaps not.

Sean

Oh, this is Scatter's domain!  Though I, like him, love Hannah Barbera.  Riccochet Rabbit, Magilla Gorilla, El Kabong, etc.

RICKH

Love the classic Looney Toons, Tom and Jerry, the Tex Avery toons, Johnny Quest, Fleischer Superman, the 60's Lone Ranger and Superman., most of the Hanna Barbera superhero stuff, especially Space Ghost
Contemporary work: Dexter's Laboratory, Power Puff Girls, Justice League, Batman the Animated Adventures, Superman, Courage the Cowardly Dog.
You can't kill the boogeyman.  Halloween (1978)

Universal Steve

I like cartoons even at my age.  Put me down for Looney Tunes, almost all of the old HB cartoons especially Scooby Doo. He Man and Masters of the Universe, G.I.Joe, Filmation Ghostbusters. Real Ghostbusters, Popeye, the Filmation superhero cartoons such as Aquaman, Superman and Batman. Of course Family Guy. Groovie Ghoulies anyone and also the original Sabrina the teen age witch which spawned the Groovie Ghoulies. The Archie cartoons. My Favorite Martians. Ant and the Aardvark.
Universal Steve
www.universalsteve.com

CreepysFan

From the classic line:

PINK PANTHER  (all time favorite cartoon)
  CASPER THE FRIENDLY GHOST
  POPEYE
  WOODY WOODPECKER
  SCOOBY DOO  (original)
  UNDERDOG
  BULLWINKLE
  DROOPY
  TOM & JERRY
  anything with DASTARDLY & MUTLEY

Newer cartoons:

BATMAN
  FOSTER'S HOME FOR IMAGINARY FRIENDS
  GRIMM ADVENTURES OF BILLY & MANDY
  JOHNNY BRAVO
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Fester

Warner Brothers Looney tunes for sure.
Chuck Jones ruled!
Tex Avery was a genius, as were messrs Hanna & Barberra.

But I do have a soft spot in my skull for Bob Clampett's cartoons. 
long Live Beany & Cecil!!

Disney . . . They're OK for the most part.  But There were only a few Disneys that I really enjoyed.  And those centered around the adventures of Humphrey the Bear. 

Street Worm

Fleischer Superman
Fleischer Popeye

Clutch Cargo!
Deputy Dawg
Courageous Cat & Minute Mouse

Rocky & Bullwinkle
Hoppity Hooper
Underdog
Tennessee Tuxedo

Space Ghost
Mightor
The Galaxy Trio
Jonny Quest &
Frankenstein Jr.

Ren & Stimpy

LundyAfterMidnight

Too many to mention: Everything from the silent era to the 1970's, Disney, Warner Bros., Hanna Barbera, & miscellaneous feature films.

If had to pick just ONE, it would be Disney's Pinocchio, a favorite from my formative years, &  my gateway to fantasy/horror/sci-fi.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

charp13

My picks are identical to Lundy's!  Except my favorite feature film- Snow White- ahhhhhhh!  I love that movie :)
But Rocky and Bullwinkle and Looney Tunes are my never-ending favorite tv shows of all time! In fact, at my present age, I spend 75 percent of my tv watching time,watching animation! I usually only watch movies or cartoons on a normal day. No real tv shows that I follow except Smallville.  I don't know what I would do without my cartoons! I leave them on at night to sleep- I even watch Squidbillies!   See, I really will watch any cartoon out there!

Hepcat

Quote from: Pauspy on May 04, 2011, 02:26:05 AM
I agree Tex Avery was an insane genius. His Screwy Squirrel cartoons took double-takes to a new level, and his "Red Hot Riding Hood" and other "hot chick" shorts were awesome on multiple levels (apparently the cels of the "chick" kept getting stolen!).

I agree! Tex Avery's Wolf and Red/Girl cartoons were fabulous!

So were those featuring his other star Droopy.

Other favourites of mine include:

Mighty Mouse
Heckle & Jeckle
Deputy Dawg
Casper & Friends
Beany & Cecil
Rocky & Bullwinkle

Animaniacs
Pinky & the Brain
Ren & Stimpy
Cow & Chicken

The "Song of the South" would be my favourite Disney movie.

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

BaronLatos35

I caught The Looney Lonney Bug Bunny Movie (1979) on TV a couple of weeks ago early Saturday morning. I remembered how much I used to love watching that as a kid.

The cool part was my daughter was checking it out as well.
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

robodog

Aside from horror/scifi/fantasy films cartoons are pretty much all I watch.

Scooby Doo
Family Guy
American Dad
Futurama
The Cleveland Show
The Simpsons
King Of The Hill
Spongebob Squarepants
Tuff Puppy
The Fairly Oddparents
The Grim adventures Of Billy and Mandy
Johnny Test

Probably a few more. They're just not coming to me at the moment. My brain isn't working properly at the moment.