Do you ever travel by train?

Started by Hepcat, April 26, 2011, 05:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elisabeth

I travelled by BRITRAIL to get to Stonehenge, and Salisbury Cathedral.

"E" ededed
"....I do hope he won't upset Henry..."

Count_Zirock

When we lived in NJ, I traveled by train quite often. Took the train to Boston quite a few times when I went to Emerson College from 1980-'82. Took the train from Newark to Florida and back in 1985 for Spring Break.

Of course, I used to take the PATH trains between Newark and New York City quite often, and traveled the Long Island R.R. a few times. If I were ever to go back up to NJ, I'd probably go by train. Much easier than trying to fly when you're in a wheelchair.
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

The Batman

Rode on Caltrain a few times. I was surprised the ride was kind of bumpy and rough, as train tracks are pictured as being so smooth...OK (*at*) 65 mph = will feel some bumps during the ride.

Hepcat

Here are more cool Turbo pictures;

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Flower

I would travel by train more often if the stations had restaurants like this one ... http://www.fritzskc.com/

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Hepcat

I don't blame you! Your order delivered directly to your table by a model railroad. That is so cool!

Fritz's Railroad Restaurant

And the prices are so friendly! A double bacon cheeseburger for $4.59! That's competitive with the fast food chains.

Unfortunately, the three locations are all clustered in and around Kansas City which is well outside my regular stomping grounds. We need Bigbud, Scary Terry, Horror1o1, LundyAferMidnight and John Pertwee  to start providing us with full reports.

:)

Count_Zirock

The United States did itself a great disservice when it allowed train travel to fall out of fashion. Planes were cheap and convenient for several decades, but look at the inconvenience of just getting on a plane, now! The prices are outlandish, the service almost non-existent. You go to Canada, Europe, Japan, and train travel is a thrill! When I used to take the train from Newark to Boston, it was fun. A lot of the other passengers would be college kids returning to their schools, too. You'd get confabs of BU, Brown, Harvard, and Emerson students. If you were lucky enough, you could get off in Boston, find two or three other students heading your way, and share a cab for just a buck or two! Trains need to make a comeback in America.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

McDougals House of Horror

Quote from: Count_Zirock on June 21, 2013, 08:50:44 PM
The United States did itself a great disservice when it allowed train travel to fall out of fashion. Planes were cheap and convenient for several decades, but look at the inconvenience of just getting on a plane, now! The prices are outlandish, the service almost non-existent. You go to Canada, Europe, Japan, and train travel is a thrill! When I used to take the train from Newark to Boston, it was fun. A lot of the other passengers would be college kids returning to their schools, too. You'd get confabs of BU, Brown, Harvard, and Emerson students. If you were lucky enough, you could get off in Boston, find two or three other students heading your way, and share a cab for just a buck or two! Trains need to make a comeback in America.

Amen to that Count. But unfortunately it seems we're going about it all wrong here in California, with a $100 billion high speed system that will supposedly connect northern and southern CA. The cost has already doubled before any construction has started, yet there is plenty of low-cost air to and from the numerous airports throughout CA.  Train travel is definitely more comfortable and less hassle, although one of the reasons it is less hassle is that there is virtually no security. Can't you just picture terrorists licking their mangy chops at the thought of being able to target hundreds of miles of high-speed rail track out in the middle of nowhere. Seems to me that this particular project is just a political boondoggle spearheaded by our governor Moonbeam.
"Do you know what I've got in those crates?"

Haunted hearse

I thought about taking the train to Florida, but was told that it would be better for me to travel to Rocky Mount, then to begin my trip by boarding the train at the Wilson Station, which is within walking distance.  If I travel to Florida, I might be better off taking Greyhound.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

The Batman

Quote from: Hepcat on April 14, 2013, 06:38:39 PM
Here are more cool Turbo pictures;

8)

'LOVE the turbo train shots!!!

The Batman

Speaking of trains...
Our former tax guy is in love with trains.
He builds a rideable large scale train in his backyard a few times each year and his wife puts up with it. Then he puts it all into storage. Meanwhile his tax office is full with trains and train photos and calendars. What a cool job, to just be a train conductor and watch the world pass by as you work while cruising down the rails.
8)

Hepcat

Here are pictures of the HO Scale Lionel Missile Launcher with Exploding Box Car set and the HO Scale Lionel Satellite Launch Car from my collection:

8)

Flower

It would be great if Lionel did a re-release of these sets ..  ;D

If they did so, many people would purchase at least two sets .. one for play and one for 'investment' (much like Beanie Babies) .. Still, it would be a wise business move for Lionel to manufacture these sets again.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Hepcat

Lionel has, at least in O-gauge, re-released most if not all the operating cars it manufactured in the fifties plus many more. There are a whopping 439 listings under Operating Cars in Lionel's newest eweb catalogue:

Lionel Operating Cars

And that's because adults who remember the toy trains of their childhood are precisely the people to whom Lionel now markets model train sets:

N.Y.Times - Railroads That Carry Grown Men Away

:)

Flower

I wonder why no one's gotten me any .. ???? I've have to put it on my Chanukah list.