Author Topic: Do you ever travel by train?  (Read 12967 times)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
Do you ever travel by train?
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:05:51 PM »
Do you, or have you ever, travelled by passenger train?

???
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:14:19 PM by Hepcat »
Collecting! It's what I do!

Flower

• Sergeant
Re: Do you ever travel by train?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
Yes .. It's a lot more fun than driving ..  :laugh:

I would guess that I'm currently making at least 4 train trips a year ... I would prefer that all trains had assigned seating but .. oh well. 

I've always wanted to take the Orient Express on a long journey ...

http://www.orient-express.com/collection/trains/trains.jsp?c=ppc&p=worldwide&cr=trains_brand&gclid=CJLwicfguqgCFcq8KgodAm_HCg

And I'm silly enough to also want to ride the Trans Siberian Railway ... http://www.trans-siberia.com/
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

raycastile

• Sergeant Major
    • The Gallery of Monster Toys
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »
I would love to travel by train, but it is pricey.  I've never been on a real train in the U.S.  I was on a train once in England and once in Egypt.  If train travel were cheaper, I think a lot of people would choose it over airlines. 
Raymond Castile

BaronLatos35

• Sergeant
  • "Now's the time for scary things..."
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:41:33 PM »
I have never been on a US train ride, but we did take the Euro Star from London to Paris in 2.5 hours.

The Euro Star goes all over the EU and was much more comfortable and less expensive than flying coach.
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

long live kong

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:58:19 PM »

Now and again. It's better than driving and if I'm going to watch my football team play I can have a few drinks too! My girlfriend and I sometimes take the train to Lincoln which is an hour from our station and is where we went on our first proper date. I would love to travel on the Orient Express one day or go on a similar luxury train journey.
Monster lovers never grow old....

Pauspy

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:38:14 PM »
I've travelled by train more in Europe than here. It does tend to be a little more pricey than other alternatives, so if I were to take the train it would be to experience the trip itself, as much as the destination. Sleepers tend to be the most expensivem, but I think it'd be worth it. Maybe we can get a UMA train trip together. Two days, three nights, movies in the dining car and all the horrific hijinx you can stand!  :D
Supernatural, perhaps; baloney, perhaps not.

charp13

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »
I voted "no", but I did ride Thomas the Tank Engine with my grandson   :)    Ooooh, a UMA train trip sounds outstanding!!  I would love to travel by train, even if it's only an hour long trip. It sounds heavenly.

Street Worm

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 12:56:12 PM »
Not in a (very) long time but I had fond memories of riding the train when I was younger...

Used to go from Htfd. Ct. to Philly all the time to visit relatives & it was always fun-
this was in the '60s and there were always parties going on between the cars-
I remember a train called (I think) 'the Montrealer' that was exceptionally cool~

LundyAfterMidnight

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 05:33:50 PM »
Numerous times throughtout my life, especially in my childhood. You see parts of the country that you wouldn't see on the interstate, & I've shared a delightful aquaintence w/every single person I've ever sat by. It's my favorite way to travel.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »
I have, and I like it much better than flying, but the high price and the much longer travel time makes it impractical.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »
My first train trip(s) were from London to Windsor and back on CN Rail to visit my uncle's family across the river in Detroit. My longest train journey was back in the mid eighties when I travelled from Vancouver to Toronto on VIA's Canadian.

I've been commuting to the office in downtown Toronto on one of these double decker GO commuter trains for so many years now that I don't even care to count the passage of time:

But it's ever so convenient. A leisurely five minute walk to the train station, a stress free twelve minute ride downtown and then an unhurried ten minute stroll to the office. And the trains run every twenty minutes during rush hours. At other times service is once per hour seven days a week until midnight.

8)

Wich2

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 07:24:47 PM »
Yes.

And the Lake Shore Limited line from NYC to Chicago is a very pretty run.

Raymond, train travel CAN be cheaper than air; that's one reason The Wife and I sometimes chose it.

It is CRIMINAL, how Detroit almost killed off passenger rail in this country (and yes, they bought Congressmen and did just that.)

Rail travel is beautiful, rewarding, green...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 11:12:23 AM »
One of the lovely train journeys I've taken was on the Agawa Canyon Tour Train of the Algoma Central Railway.

Agawa Canyon Tour Train

I picked a late September date to capture the fall foliage at its most spectacular.

8)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 09:38:08 PM »
My favourite excursion, a.k.a. tourist, train is operated by a group of railfan volunteers calling themselves the Port Stanley Terminal Rail between Port Stanley and St. Thomas, Ontario along the route of the old London & Port Stanley Railway which started up in 1856. The L & PS did a thriving passenger as well as freight business since Port Stanley was both a lakeside resort and an industrial port at the time. Passenger travel along the 23 mile route reached a height of 1.1 million in 1943! Traffic, however, declined precipitously after the war ended and passenger service was terminated in early 1957. Very sad.

Canadian National Railways bought out the L & PS in 1966 and abandoned the portion south of St. Thomas in 1982 after a portion of the track was washed out during a heavy rainfall. The Port Stanley Terminal Rail was formed by a group of rail enthusiasts to purchase the abandoned line from CN. The perseverance and hard work of the volunteers resulted in passenger service being restored in stages over the next several years between Port Stanley and St. Thomas. A murder mystery dinner train is one of the excursions now offered along the line.

Port Stanley Terminal Rail website

I have a vague recollection of having taken the train to Port Stanley for the day with my mother and sister in the mid-fifties and gazing longingly at the french fries being sold from the window of Mackies as we were boarding the train for the return trip.  Being a sensible sort, my mother could see no reason to spend money on potatoes which we could have at home.

:(

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:10:19 AM by Hepcat »

frankenstein73

• Sergeant
  • Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 10:16:56 PM »
Well, pretty much everyday. but I drive them. Im an engineer so for the last 13 years Ive had the biggest train set in the world to play with. I work in bailey yard in North Platte Ne. One of the largest sorting yards in the world. Kinda loses its appeal after awhile though!
Mirabile dictu,don't you agree?