Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Here's an excellent website devoted to monster and horror trading cards:

Monster Cards of Yesterday

cl:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

CreepysFan

Zacherle the cool ghoul cards

Zacherle mini puzzle from backs by Frank Dietz ( UMA member MonsterArt)

" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Monolith

I've got some 1964 Outer Limits, some 1965 Ugly Stickers, some 1969 Dark Shadows cards, a complete set of 1969 Planet of the Apes cards and some various others packed away. Here's some of my 1961 Horror Monster cards...

CreepysFan

Groovy cards Monolith, I especially like the Cyclops.  If you can find them, post some of the Ugly Stickers, they had some really wicked illustrations. 
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Hepcat

Quote from: Monolith on April 21, 2011, 06:40:07 PMHere's some of my 1961 Horror Monster cards...

I only became aware of those Horror Monster cards in more recent years from seeing them in catalogues. They weren't distributed in my neck of the woods which was O-Pee-Chee(Topps) country.

:-\

Monolith

Quote from: CreepysFan on April 21, 2011, 06:48:45 PM

Groovy cards Monolith, I especially like the Cyclops.  If you can find them, post some of the Ugly Stickers, they had some really wicked illustrations. 

The Ugly Stickers do have fantastic artwork, thanks to Basil Wolverton, Wally Wood and Norman Saunders. I'll post a few if I come across them, although
you can see all of them at the link MDG posted above. Thanks MDG--that Norman Saunders website is great! He has such a great and impressive body of work, I was seeing and admiring his artwork long before I ever knew his name.

Hepcat---I also only more recently learned of the Horror Monster cards.

Hepcat

I also like the covers Norm Saunders did for paperbacks and men's sweat magazines:

Men's Adventure Covers

8)

Hepcat

Topps issued this wonderful 88 card Space card set in 1957:

It was also made available in backs labelled Target: Moon in 1958. Both backs were blue but I've never come across an adequate explanation of why the set came out under two titles.

Half the set was reissued under the Target: Moon title in Topps Fun Packs in 1967-68 but with backs variously termed pink or salmon. These are quite tough to find.

8)

Monolith

Quote from: Hepcat on April 22, 2011, 11:57:09 PM
I also like the covers Norm Saunders did for paperbacks and men's sweat magazines:

Men's Adventure Covers

8)

Me too. They're great! I remember when I was a kid my parents would drive to the next town over and take me to this barber shop. While I was waiting
I would look through the stack of magazines which included men's mags with Norman Saunders covers. I felt like I was looking into the forbidden world of adults. Although I didn't know who the artist was at the time I loved the covers and still do.

dlhenderson

That's drool worthy stuff, Hepcat! Love the wrappers. The Spook Stories cards were a huge part of my Monster Kid past. I remember buying dozens of those packs. Do you have any of the stickers? My first posts on the UMA consisted of my obsessively meticulous reproductions of those, via PhotoShop painting. I'll see if I can rustle up some of those...

Hepcat

Quote from: Monolith on April 27, 2011, 12:36:04 AMWhile I was waiting
I would look through the stack of magazines which included men's mags with Norman Saunders covers.... Although I didn't know who the artist was at the time I loved the covers and still do.

Norm's first job for Topps was in 1962. He was asked to do a few of the Civil War cards which led to him being asked to ink over the rest of the cards started by other artists. Here's a scan of nine of mine:

8)

dlhenderson

You inspired me to look through some of my ephemera. I'd forgotten I had these wrappers. Man, I'd love a Spook Stories wrapper.

Hepcat

Quote from: dlhenderson on April 27, 2011, 12:54:54 AM
The Spook Stories cards were a huge part of my Monster Kid past. I remember buying dozens of those packs. Do you have any of the stickers?

I only have nine of the stickers. I just counted them. They're a bitch to find.

Quote from: dlhenderson on April 27, 2011, 01:25:48 AM
Man, I'd love a Spook Stories wrapper.

I have both an orange and a purple Spook Theatre wrapper as well as a purple Son of Spook Theatre wrapper. I'll try to scan some of these items over the course of the next week or so.

cl:)

dlhenderson

When I think of all those wrappers I tossed! Sigh!
Here are some of the great Insult Postcards by Wally Wood and Dan Adkins (you can see their names on the tombstones on one of the cards). These are the ones I bought as a kid. Enjoy!