Author Topic: Showcase your monster cards here!  (Read 48811 times)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
Re: Showcase your monster cards here!
« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2017, 04:40:07 PM »
I file my cards in binders by subject category. Here are a few of these binders:

Jack Davis

Monsters/Horror

Science Fiction

Superheroes - DC

Superheroes - Marvel & Other

War & Military Stuff

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

jerod

• Corporal
    • SuperheroUniverse; Jerod
« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »
Not a fan of PSA; but did find this article interesting on the 1961 Nu-Cards Horror Monsters series.

Link to article below:

http://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/7769/psa-set-registry-1961-nu-cards-horror-monsters-card-most-extensive-vintage-monster-ever-made#.WLYZwFhlKCY.mailto

jerod

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2017, 01:35:20 PM »
Horror Monsters is an excellent set from Nu-Cards, produced in 1961. There are a great variety of monsters represented in photos and a few illustrations with jokes on the card backs. Horror Monsters is divided into green bordered cards (1-66), and orange bordered cards (67-146). The backs of the Horror Monsters Green cards are either white or grey with red ink. The backs of the Horror Monsters Orange are gray with green ink. Here are cards 64-72 from my sets, front and back.

Horror Monsters Green came in 2-card panels:

Back:

I still need 13 cards to finish the 66 card Green set. I finished the 80 card Orange set several years ago. Most of my monster sets I bought complete but I never found complete Horror Monsters sets for sale. It took several years to build my collection of them a few cards at a time, and I still plan to finish Horror Monsters Green at some point. I believe the Horror Monsters cards are second only to the first You'll Die Laughing (Jack Davis art) set in historical importance and coolness.  8)

http://www.monsterwax.com/horrormonstercards.html

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=26275.msg428867#msg428867
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:48:11 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »
Horror Monsters Green came in 2-card panels:

Do you only collect the 2-card panels, or do you buy whatever you can get?

Why is the green set more rare than the orange? It usually seems like the 2nd sets are the ones with the shorter runs.

I need HM green #26 AND #40 (in nice cond.), if anybody has spares.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2017, 05:50:12 PM »
Do you only collect the 2-card panels, or do you buy whatever you can get?

Why is the green set more rare than the orange? It usually seems like the 2nd sets are the ones with the shorter runs.

I need HM green #26 AND #40 (in nice cond.), if anybody has spares.

That 2-card panel in the scan above is the only one I have. I bought that one at a good price a few years ago because I wanted one for my collection. My collection is comprised of the single cards. Those 2-card panels are usually pretty expensive so I would hate to try to put together a complete collection of them. I'm sure someone has done that, but it's someone who has a lot more money to spend on this stuff than I do.

The Green is much more scarce than the Orange except for 5 of the Green cards which are more common. I don't know why it's like that, but it is. Here's the link again with some good info on HM cards: http://www.monsterwax.com/horrormonstercards.html (ignore the prices, those are out of date)

Here's the PSA article link again that jerod posted above: http://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/7769/psa-set-registry-1961-nu-cards-horror-monsters-card-most-extensive-vintage-monster-ever-made#.WLYZwFhlKCY.mailto

It lists the 5 more common Green cards and further HM info.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:56:01 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2017, 06:07:06 PM »
My collection is comprised of the single (HM) cards.

I figured. I do see a pair once in a while, though.

The Green is much more scarce than the Orange except for 5 of the Green cards which are more common.

Yeah, those are on ebay all the time.
CREATURE FAN

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #201 on: December 24, 2018, 12:00:20 PM »
The single best publication I've ever encountered on monster and other non-sport trading cards is The Wrapper which Les Davis has been publishing since 1978:

I just renewed my subscription earlier this month. Here's the website:

The Wrapper Magazine

cl:)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2019, 09:34:21 AM »
Here is the very cool Funny Travel Poster #13 from the collection of Freddie Poe:

It was part of a 24 poster set issued by Topps in 1967 although it's possible that the set was again reissued in the seventies. Each poster is 9 3/4" X 18 1/2" with artwork that appears to be by Wally Wood.

cl:)

bruceschneider1952

• New Recruit
« Reply #203 on: February 06, 2019, 11:14:21 AM »
Classic monsters will never die...

Remember those COOL horror monster cards back to the early sixties, aka Nu-Cards (1961) green and orange borders and Jack Davis Funny Monsters (You'll Die Laughing) from 1959... wouldn't be nice a new classic horror monsters & sci-fi trading cards set that would cover the early 1920's up to today...

These (virtual) reproductions serve only as a FAN page of classic horror, sci-fi, fantasy & b-movies films and are exclusively dedicated to all those 'Classic Monsters' fans (young and old) around the world...

NO COMMERCIAL ISSUE...

Classic Monsters Never Die!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/From-the-Ghoulden-Age-of-Classic-Monsters-of-the-Silver-Screen-and-beyond-502957166400303/

On Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/forclassicmonstercardsfan/

Also on Pinterest : https://www.pinterest.ca/fanofclassichorrormonstercards/forclassicmonstercardsfan/classic-monsters/

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #204 on: February 06, 2019, 12:33:10 PM »
Welcome to the UMA, Bruce!

That's a hell of an image collection you've got going, there!   :)
CREATURE FAN

bruceschneider1952

• New Recruit
« Reply #205 on: February 06, 2019, 12:52:36 PM »
Thanks ! I'll look forward doing it very shortly...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #206 on: June 03, 2019, 03:12:22 PM »
Topps in 1963 issued the 153 card Monster Laffs Midgees set. The cards though were only a third the size of regular cards as they were issued three cards to a 2 1/2" X 4 11/16" panel with each card separated by perforations that could be broken apart.

Here are pictures of the wrapper and of the display box that I just found on the net:

8)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:17:57 PM by Hepcat »

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #207 on: June 03, 2019, 03:44:00 PM »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:51:17 PM by marsattacks666 »
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

jimm

• Sergeant
  • The Foom Abides!
« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2019, 09:12:26 AM »
Odd Rods, monsters in car stickers... how could any kid resist!