Showcase your Aurora figure kits here!

Started by Hepcat, March 31, 2011, 11:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks666

Quote from: Wolfman66 on September 22, 2020, 02:59:15 AM
1978 Monogram Godzilla reissue of the Aurora kit that came with Glow pieces.I know as a kid the Boxart of Monograms Godzilla always caught my attention.So decided let me see if can paint it up just like it.Hope you all like?

This Godzilla is awesome.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

spideydroogy

Very nice.  Make your own glow!  I think you captured the box art perfectly.

I would love to see that prototype Godzilla kit produced.  I always thought it was a great sculpt of him destroying the Tokyo Radio tower.
"Time flies like and arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
- Groucho Marx

LundyAfterMidnight

"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

BijouBob8mm

QuoteI know as a kid the Boxart of Monograms Godzilla always caught my attention.

Monogram had some decent builds on their boxes...the Creature and Wolf Man quickly come to mind.  (In fact, at the time their Wolf Man reissue came out, I thought it was one of the best builds of that kit I'd seen up to that point.)  The Monogram Godzilla rarely ever turned up in my area, and never when I was in a position to get it.

Hepcat

Here's an early ad for the Aurora monster model kits:

It's from 1962 thus predating the release of the Creature, Mummy and Phantom kits.

8)

Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

The origins of the Aurora Plastics Corporation were as a contract manufacturer of injection molded plastics in 1950.

It wasn't until 1952 when Aurora entered the hobby market after hiring salesman John Cuomo. The company's first two kits were 1:48 scale models of the Lockheed F90 and Grumman F9F Panther fighter jets. Aurora's starburst oval logo made its first appearance in 1957. Here's a picture of my F9F Panther in a box with this logo:

The first figure kits released by Aurora were the knights in armour in 1956.

Aurora entered the slot car market in the fall of 1960 with HO-scale racing sets. With the introduction of the Thunderjet 500 line in 1963, Aurora came to dominate the HO sector of the slot car market.

Outside of models and slot cars, Aurora had a big hit with its now iconic Skittle-Bowl set in late 1968:

8)

Mark McGovern

[quote author=Hepcat link=topic=13241.msg584823#msg584823 date=1587000896]
Here are some pictures of Freddie Poe's buildup of the Aurora Giant Insect kit with the Fighting Giant Insects card from Topps' Mars Attacks set serving as a nameplate:[/quote]

What a clever idea!  And here, it never occurred to me to use the Giant Insect for anything but an MS diorama.  Duh!
I build, therefore I am.

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

Does anyone know what happened to Wolfman66? He hasn't logged in since last August and now his pictures are gone.

???