Author Topic: Showcase your Aurora figure kits here!  (Read 77084 times)

Mark McGovern

• Private First Class
    • McGovern's Models.com
Re: Showcase your Aurora figure kits here!
« Reply #375 on: February 26, 2020, 10:03:55 PM »
Hep',
Every time one of you guys out there posts photos of your stash, I show them to my wife so she'll know just how good she has it.  I've been carving mine down, but I still have more kits than I can ever finish.  On the other hand, I've built every model in my head - some, even in reality!  ::)
I build, therefore I am.

Mark McGovern

• Private First Class
    • McGovern's Models.com
« Reply #376 on: February 26, 2020, 11:35:00 PM »
Here are some photos from my collection.  I started with the reissues of 1999, in order to create a collection as defined in the IPMS competition rules.  For the most part, I built the models nearly out of the box, and followed the painting suggestions of the original instructions.  But down the road I got more creative and now it's hard for me to build anything straight from the box.

Before it was reissued, I purchased a built up Creature at a toy show.  I restored it but, as you might expect, had to make a new tree limb, snake, and tongue for the lizard.  That's Ben Chapman's signature in gold ink on the base.

This is the Polar Lights "Bellringer" reissue, with a Posthumous Productions resin nameplate.  I blanked off the hollow pillory with sheet styrene and textured it with putty to look like solid wood.  This was the first model of mine that PL photographed for their box art and ads.
This Jekyll as Hyde is a restoration of the "Frightening Lightning" edition.  By the time I got around to this model, I had given up on the idea of building strictly out of the box and was adding all sorts of detail.  He's standing on the other side of the base to accommodate the nameplate of the display stand for the collection.
To liven up the Bride, I added a PP nameplate, jewelry chains, and that coiled Kenneth Strickfaden prop.  There's also added detail beneath the table, and the coiled lab prop along with the tube in the "voltage control box" were lit with flashing LEDs from a craft store set (that has since gone dark on me).
With King Kong I altered several things that bugged me about the kit.  I resculpted his head, mainly with Aves Apoxie Sculpt, to better represent the original monster.  Same with the Fay Wray figure - try sculpting 1/25 scale toes for a real challenge!  The base always seemed too small to me, so I raised it on a chunk of Styrofoam textured with spackling paste.  A Thunderboy Heavy Industries resin "lost foliage" set restored the parts that were lost when Aurora released the glow version of the kit.  But the trees were way under scale, so I added new ones from Woodland Scenics.
Gigantic Frankenstein survived from my 10th birthday.  In 2000, I decided to restore the model, replacing the rubber bands that held the arms on the torso with a metal spring, texturing the hair with Liquitex Fibers Acrylic Gel Medium, replacing the long-lost rope belt, and generally bringing the model up to competition standards.  The color scheme follows that terrific comic book ad art.  I decided that Franky needed a base and made one from Styrofoam covered with Celluclay on the wall and Durham's Water Putty on the floor.  The nameplate was my father's idea...thanks, Dad!
I build, therefore I am.

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #377 on: February 26, 2020, 11:55:16 PM »
I know I've seen some of those pics before. That is one awesome Aurora monsters collection!!
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Tom_Hering

• Private First Class
« Reply #378 on: February 27, 2020, 08:55:36 AM »
Superb work on a great collection! I too have become incapable of building straight-out-of-the-box. Once you start improving or converting kits, there's no turning back.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #379 on: February 27, 2020, 11:49:16 AM »
Here are some photos from my collection.  I started with the reissues of 1999, in order to create a collection as defined in the IPMS competition rules.  For the most part, I built the models nearly out of the box, and followed the painting suggestions of the original instructions.  But down the road I got more creative and now it's hard for me to build anything straight from the box.

Simply awesome! What more can I say?

8)

Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #380 on: February 28, 2020, 05:10:21 PM »
I WANT......your kits and your talent!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #381 on: March 02, 2020, 12:32:03 AM »
Here are several shots of an Aurora Mummy lovingly assembled and painted by Freddie Poe:

Freddie always used traditional monster kid enamel paints on his model kits. He also hand painted his kits with a regular brush as opposed to using these new fangled air brushes.

Here's a picture of the box (mine) plus James Bama's original artwork for comparison's sake:

8)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:10:06 AM by Hepcat »

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #382 on: March 28, 2020, 09:37:14 PM »
Here are a few shots of Freddie Poe's Mummy's Chariot build-up:

8)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #383 on: April 15, 2020, 08:34:56 PM »
Here are some pictures of Freddie Poe's buildup of the Aurora Giant Insect kit with the Fighting Giant Insects card from Topps' Mars Attacks set serving as a nameplate:

:)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #384 on: April 20, 2020, 09:46:20 AM »
Here are a couple of good shots of a Forgotten Prisoner model built by Freddie Poe:

8)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #385 on: April 25, 2020, 01:12:47 PM »
Here's a good shot of a Bride of Frankenstein model built by Freddie Poe:

8)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #386 on: May 01, 2020, 09:06:58 PM »
Here are a couple of shots of Freddie Poe's Godzilla's Go Kart going up against King Kong's Thronester:

8)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #387 on: May 07, 2020, 11:18:41 PM »
Here's a good shot of Freddie Poe's build of a Captain Action model:

8)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #388 on: May 18, 2020, 10:02:52 AM »
I grew up in Ottawa Ontario.... We used to buy all our kits from a Smoke Shop and the Store owner knew us by name (back then)

....Just wanted to add that the owner of The Smoke Shop of Notre Dame name was Guy and he was a cool cat...He sponsored a monthly Monster Model contest but later expanded it to all figure models like Batman, Superman and of course the Weird-oh kits as well...Every month someone would walk away with a Grand Prize of a  Shiny Silver dollar and anything you wanted off of  (what we called) the 10 rack....Oh Man...Good times!

Yep...You nailed it! Actually all the kits entered were in a display case for the full Month and the Winner got his kit moved to the Store front Window for the next Month ...a Real Honour complete with Bragging Rights!... The Kits that didn't win could be re entered (of course) and more times than not, when you Won... That Shiny Silver Dollar bought your next cool Kit ! The Principal of my School would even announce the Winner over the School intercom....Times were waaaay different then....Building Models was a cool thing to do and over the endless years it seems that everyone would eventually win a Month of Glory.
Guy was a very smart man as this Model Contest became very well known. I remember The Gatineau Review(local Newspaper) even did an article on the Smoke Shop Contest...  calling it The Smoke Shop of Notre Dame. I think I spent every allowance and monetary Birthday gift there....we all did  :D. It was a Great Hang out... Where's my Time Machine...I want to go back there now!

So cool! That's what I like most about model kits, the memories of seeing them for the first time in stores or even in ads in DC comic mags and Boys' Life magazine. And then the smell of the styrene plastic, the modelling cement, the Testors or Pactra enamel paints (glossy of course), all so fabulous and vividly burned into my memory!

8)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:11:22 AM by Hepcat »