Author Topic: Showcase your Aurora figure kits here!  (Read 58650 times)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
Re: Showcase your Aurora figure kits here!
« Reply #315 on: June 08, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »
Moreover I just wasn't a big TV watcher as a kid anyway. I doubt that I even watched six hours of TV a week, and most of that was cartoons when I came home for lunch and right after school. Watching baseball games bored me and Hockey Night in Canada was telecast only on Saturday evenings and initially only the last part of the games was televised between 9:00 and 10:30. I'd typically fall asleep before the end of the game anyway. Regular CFL telecasts on CFPL didn't start until a couple of years later. I remember listening to radio broadcasts of CFL games on CKSL radio in 1961 and 1962 instead.

Watching TV has actually never been a big part of my life. During my high school years from 1966 to 1970, I only watched these programs on any kind of semi-regular basis:

1. During the school year reruns of Wild, Wild West which were replaced by reruns of Star Trek at 5:00 PM on channel 35 from Erie, Pennsylvania. (The Erie stations were so popular with viewers in London that local merchants advertised on the Erie stations much to the bewilderment I'm sure of residents in northern Pennsylvania!  :laugh:)

2. The Bugs Bunny - Road Runner Show Saturdays at 5:00 PM. The Beverley Hillbillies at 7:00 PM Saturdays. Maybe some of the Ed Sullivan Show then.

3. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea at 7:00 PM on Sundays followed by some of Bonanza.

4. Canadian Football League telecasts. I only started following the NFL in 1969 but that only lasted until 1980 by which time I'd had enough of the constant hype (i.e. overexposure). I've rarely watched any NFL telecasts since that year.

5. The Stanley Cup Playoffs.

6. Reruns of I Dream of Jeannie on Saturdays at noon (I think). I'm not sure whether I started watching Jeannie before the seventies though.

What was I doing with my time then? My homework during the school year! During the summer months.I was hanging out on the streets and at the park with my friends in the neighbourhood. And of course I had my LPs and library books.

For that matter TV still isn't a big part of my life. I never bothered to get my TV fixed when it broke down in 1992. Maybe one of these years I'll spring for one of those newfangled flat screen thingies but I don't like the thought of monthly cable bills. What do I do instead? I listen to LPs on my nice stereo, I listen to classic rock stations and sports broadcasts on the radio and I read books and magazines.

Admittedly I doubt that my lifestyle preferences reflect those of the broad populace but I'm me. And I'm not going to change.

cl:)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 03:47:25 PM by Mike Scott »
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #316 on: October 25, 2018, 09:56:35 AM »
Here's a good Youtube clip devoted to one of the very best Aurora monster kits of them all!

Phantom of the Opera - Youtube

8)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #317 on: February 21, 2019, 09:58:19 AM »
Here's a very good history of the Aurora Plastics Corporation:

Aurora History - Old Model Kits

Here are a few brief excerpts:

Quote from: Old Model Kits
From the start, Aurora marketing strategy was simple and effective.  Revell and Monogram prided themselves on making kits that were highly accurate and had the maximum number of operating features.  Aurora simply wanted to sell low- priced kits of fascinating new subjects to the younger audience.  The accuracy of early Aurora kits suffered accordingly, but the young model market did not care.  Injection molded kits were completely pre-shaped and went together quickly with out carving or sanding.... and introduced an entire generation of boys to model building.  At Aurora, Shikes and Giammarino kept overhead low and operated with a minimal staff.  Many ‘Lean’ Manufacturing practices (Toyota Production System) were put into place long before they were practiced in Japan.  The mold presses ran 24 hours a day and some popular kits had runs of over 1,000,000 copies.  Aurora had no trouble turning a profit.  It was the right strategy for the 1950s/early 1960s, but not for the future.

By the mid 1950s, plastic kits were selling very well.  In a survey, approximately 80% of all young boys said that modeling was their primary hobby.  This is more significant when you realize that ‘model building’ never even made it to the list of boy’s hobbies before this time.  Aurora’s gamble had paid off, and the future belonged to plastic.

The 1960s were a happy and busy time for modelers, and Aurora and its competitors released dozens of new kits.   In 1963, Aurora purchased Comet and many of their kits were released with new box artwork.... Around this time Jo Kotula, the famous aviation illustrator, was hired to do the Aurora box art to provide a new look.

In the 1960s the famous Monster, Movie and Television figures began production.  These kits fueled the “Monster” craze that swept the nation, as popularized with the TV shows ‘The Addams Family’ and ‘The Munsters’.  The Aurora figure kits sold so well that other companies found themselves playing ‘catch-up’ to Aurora’s find.

8)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #318 on: May 17, 2019, 08:20:56 AM »
Here's a good video on Aurora's superhero and sundry TV-series related kits:

8)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #319 on: May 21, 2019, 09:05:54 AM »
Here's a video on the knights and warriors model kits that Aurora released over the years:

8)

BijouBob8mm

• Corporal
« Reply #320 on: May 22, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »
The Phantom of the Opera...that was the very first Aurora monster model I ever had.  Mom and Dad weren't big on monsters, so the model collection tended to be more sci-fi oriented until I hit my teens.  They were OK with me picking up the Moonbus from 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, or the Flying Sub from VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, or spacecraft kits based on real or concept ships.  (The up side of this is that those model spaceships eventually became miniatures during my student filmmaking days.)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #321 on: May 22, 2019, 09:50:07 AM »
The Phantom of the Opera...that was the very first Aurora monster model I ever had.

That though was one of the very best sculpted and presented Aurora kits!

8)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #322 on: May 23, 2019, 01:35:17 PM »
Here's a good video on Aurora's (intentionally) silly kits:

8)