Ed "Big Daddy" Roth Tribute Thread!

Started by Hepcat, March 21, 2011, 12:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: weldonmc on March 22, 2011, 09:29:15 PM
HEPCAT ...Thanks for taking the time to look through your mags for me ...much appreciated!

I've found small pictures of T-shirt designs for Mr. Gasser, Mother's Worry, Dragnut and Super Fink in my magazine collection. They do not resemble the Revell box art very closely since the T-shirt designs (and the ads) were drawn by "Big Daddy" Roth's faithful employee Ed Newton while the Revell box art was done for Revell by Jack Leynnwood. Nonetheless, I'll scan and post the full page and two page ads I've found by the weekend.

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

weldonmc

Thanks HEPCAT ...the t-shirt art you mention is exactly the art I've been looking for.

Here are a couple more that I have:

I love building and painting RAT FINK models

CreepysFan

Man weldonmc, those are all groovy.  Can't wait to see more.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Hepcat

Weldon's shadings make for a finished product that's far better than any graphics program can manage.

8)

weldonmc

Hey THANKS! ...that makes me feel good and I'm glad you like 'em! Here are a few more picture I colored using PRISMACOLOR pencils.

Hepcat

Yay for Dodge Super Bees!

And for the fellow driving the Power King VW!

8)

dlhenderson

I met Robert Williams a few years ago and he was telling me about working for BDR. He did some of those amazing ad layouts. I told him I used to buy the hot rod magazines just to get those ads. I said "...and I wasn't even into hot rods!". He reply: "Shame on you".  ;D

weldonmc

SWEET! ...THAT is one good lookin' car!

A friend of mine took a photo of my '72 El Camino and fixed it for me:

Hepcat

Cool! But with a little work on Photoshop you could get Weldon in the same script as the rest of the lettering you know.

;)

weldonmc

Ha! ...one of these days I'm going to get Photoshop for myself ...I've been using a photo editing program that came with the camera I bought 13 years ago

weldonmc

I posted these photos, along with a few more of each model, on another thread, on this site but here's a photo re-cap of all twelve Fink kits built for The Petersen Automotive Museum in LA. Also included are "Hold the Pickels" built for the Johnny Rockets located at the Museum, an extra DRAGNUT, and "TRIXIE" ...one of the eight custom FINKS by my late friend, Gary Pritchett, that I have worked on.

SURFINK

SCUZ FINK

SUPERFINK

RAT FINK

MOTHER'S WORRY

MR. GASSER

FINK ELIMINATOR

DRAGNUT

DRAGNUT

ANGEL FINK

BROTHER RAT FINK on a BIKE

OUTLAW with ROBBIN HOOD FINK

TWEEDY PIE with BOSS FINK

"HOLD the PICKLES" ...built to Welcome visitors into the Johnny Rockets Resturant located inside the museum.

TRIXIE

Hepcat

"Big Daddy" Roth was known as much for his far out T-shirt designs and the ads for these as he was for the Revell model kits. I used to pore over these ads whenever I found any in magazines and even colour them in with pencil crayons. The ads were typically designed by Ed Newton, the same fellow who did the artwork for most of the "Big Daddy" Roth T-shirts. Here's a sample:

Drag Cartoons 8

Drag Cartoons 9

Drag Cartoons 11

Drag Cartoons 12

Drag Cartoons 13

8)

CreepysFan

Hep those old shirt designs are far out, wish they were available now.  Those would make wicked posters as well. 
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Hepcat

A few are available:

http://www.ratfink.com/rat-fink-t-shirts-1.php

Unfortunately, the focus is now entirely on Rat Fink and the current offerings no longer have the charm that they did in the old days.

:(

I'll try to take some pics of some of the "Big Daddy" Roth T-shirts I still have from years past. Be forewarned though. Your parents were correct. Ed Roth's T-shirt designs will indeed stoke and sicken your mind.

;)

Hepcat

Now here's another tranche of ads for "Big Daddy" Roth T-shirts:

Drag Cartoons 14

Drag Cartoons 15

Drag Cartoons 16

8)