Favorite comic book ads

Started by Wicked Lester, March 19, 2011, 10:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monsterphile

Quote from: Mike Scott on March 20, 2011, 05:50:00 PM
That's not the Polaris Sub. It's some kind of jet, but they were both made of printed cardboard.

Oh, here it is:

Maybe it's not such a bad prize afterall... :laugh:

neonnoodle

I used to love the Johnson Smith and Abracadabra Magic Shop ads, with their assortments of cheap joke and magic items...I ordered an assortment of joke gum at one point, I think it cost all of $1, but I got some sticks of onion gum, bloody gum, hot pepper gum, and garlic gum.  Wow, what cool days those were.  The gum took a million years to arrive, but it was all worth it.  The memories are priceless.
Beautiful moving, shifting colors!

See TRANSLUCE: Rainbow Meditation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aqIhYI_Q

Scary Terry

Scary Terry
www.terrybeatty.blogspot.com

BaronLatos35

Quote from: Hepcat on March 20, 2011, 02:09:50 PM
I think those sets were called penny flats. This was my favourite ad:

I didn't know it at the time but the artwork was by the incomparable Russ Heath!

8)

Great memories of this ad...always wanted it, thanks for posting.
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

monsterphile

This how Bobby started his Toy Ranch...one square inch at a time.

Wicked Lester

Quote from: Scary Terry on March 20, 2011, 07:45:09 PM
Here's a bunch of wacky vintage comic book ads on my blog: http://terrybeatty.blogspot.com/2011/01/todays-blog-is-brought-to-you-by.html

Terry
Great ads. The only reason I've seen these all before is cuz I have a few thousand comics on CD. I really liked the multi-gym one. Little guy builds up and knocks down a big mouth co worker and actually gets promoted with a hand shake from the boss telling him he IS the man. Now it would be fired ,arrested and sued.

Hepcat

Quote from: Wicked Lester on March 20, 2011, 02:38:11 PM
Great stuff Hep.
This has to be one of my fave ads from that era. I remember having the Woods Edge set and being pretty disappointed when it showed up over a month after sending away for it.

I don't remember that one. I remember these three though:

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Wicked Lester

I don't really remember who made which set but I did get an 4" x 6" cardboard foot locker with H.O guys and either N or maybe Z scale plastic tanks. Comparing scale the soldiers were like 18' tall.

One of the main suppliers of these sets was Helen of Toy Co. There is actually a book out there somewhere with pics of all the stuff they sold.

Great ads that I'm sure including myself sucked thousands and thousands of boys sending allowance money in on crap.

Therin of Andor

MegoTMP action figures ad by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Mego "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" action figures advertisement, Marvel Star Trek comic, 1980. The 3.75" Rigellian was actually a Saurian. I sent "Heroes World" an enquiry letter from Australia and they only had the alien figures left. Of course, they've turned out to be the rare ones. I almost got to visit the "Heroes World" in Michigan in 1984, during a trip to USA, but we phoned ahead and they nothing Star Trek in stock.
Thiptho lapth,

Regards, Ian.

Hepcat

Was a Romulan not part of the set?

:o

Street Worm

Quote from: Mike Scott on March 20, 2011, 05:50:00 PM
That's not the Polaris Sub. It's some kind of jet, but they were both made of printed cardboard.

I wish somebody would turn up a news story on the winner of the Gemini craft!

Gemini Craft story on this page

Here's the sub-

The kids are in a "Jet Rocket Space Ship"!

one I've never seen live & in color is the Kraft AreoJet  Training Space Ship-

Hepcat

This ad continued the process of warping my already fevered young mind:

8)

Mike Scott

Quote from: Street Worm on March 21, 2011, 09:04:45 PM
Gemini Craft story on this page.

Thanks! And thanks for the jet ad, too!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Wicked Lester

Quote from: Mike Scott on March 21, 2011, 09:36:39 PM
Thanks! And thanks for the jet ad, too!

Ditto
Pretty interesting story. I think I'd rather have 200 models and a spaceship full of ice cream myself.

CreepysFan

This was the ad that ALWAYS grabbed my attention as a kid, and one i pestered my parents with.  Their responce was to treat me like a gorilla in the Apes movies :  NO,  NO.  Has anyone ever answered this ad, I'd love to know what the Moon Monster actually looked like.

" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT