Author Topic: Have You Been Banned From The UMA?  (Read 4577 times)

Toy Ranch

• Army Administrator
  • d
  • Monster Geek
Have You Been Banned From The UMA?
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:52:05 AM »
Spammers have long used automated programs known as "bots" to register at forums and post spam messages, collect email addresses from the forum to spam, etc.  Forums have things in place to keep this from happening (you may have noticed that when you post an email address on this forum, the "at" symbol is changed to (*at*), this is why), but the spammers are always trying new things.  Lately we have been under attack from a "zombie army".  Hackers and spammers infect computers with trojan viruses, and then use them to perform various functions.  These are sometimes called "zombies" because the owner of the computer doesn't know that their computer is being used by someone else to do their bidding.  It's more of the old kind of zombie than the Romero type. 

At any rate, the most recent thing that's been going on is that there is a zombie army trying to hack into your accounts on the UMA.  We are getting requests from different IP addresses that aren't used by UMA members, which are trying to log into their accounts.  This is happening at a pretty fast rate.  You may have noticed that you are having to log into the forum sometimes, when you used to stay logged in all the time.  The program seems to be affecting accounts that post messages, and frequently soon after a message has been posted. 

In order to prevent this from happening, we've been banning the IP addresses that haven't previously been used by the UMA member whose account is being logged into.  When that IP address attempts to log in again, the message displayed is

"Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!
spambot"

If you attempt to log into your account from a hotel, a library, or some place that you haven't accessed your account before, and input the incorrect password, the IP you use may be inadvertently banned.  Your account has not been banned, your email has not been banned, only the IP you tried to access your account from for the first time.  You can still log in from another IP.  Also, if you've used that IP in the past, and make a mistake with your password, your account won't be affected.   

We apologize in advance for any frustration this might create for you.  It's the only solution we have for the problem at present, and we hope to have a better one in place in the near future.  This attack is not specifically on the UMA, it's going on with many different forums.  If you find yourself locked out of the UMA, please send email to universalmonsterarmy(*at*)gmail.com and the IP ban will be removed.

Opera Ghost

• Sergeant
  • "To my Christine, I am forever Wed"
Re: Have You Been Banned From The UMA?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »
Thanks for the heads up! Have been wondering
"In each of us, two natures are at war--the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, and one of them must conquer..."

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »
Thanks Bobby!! I appreciate all you guys do to keep this mausoleum humming.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

CreepysFan

• Sergeant
  • UNCLE CREEPY
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 04:50:48 AM »
 It's sad that a problem like this is occuring here, but we appreciate all you do to protect us.  GREAT JOB.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Unknown Primate

• Sergeant
  • Legend of Wildcat Creek
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 02:36:51 PM »
YES!  I just noticed this thread!  My computer just did this a couple of days ago!  Very frustrating!  I'm using my daughter's laptop right now.  Luckily, she's visiting us this weekend.  Hopefully, I can get this corrected.
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

Toy Ranch

• Army Administrator
  • d
  • Monster Geek
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »
I think you should be straight now, Mark.  Sorry about that!

Unknown Primate

• Sergeant
  • Legend of Wildcat Creek
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:14:00 AM »
You fixed it, Bobby - and I REALLY appreciate it!
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

Dr.Teufel Geist

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:27:24 AM »
so...is Mark a zombie, now?  :o

Creature Features

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 09:45:46 AM »
Why do people even  DO stuff like that? Send viruses  and the like? I just don't get it...do they just enjoy causing problems?   
"It's Alive...oh, It's Alive! It's Alive, It's Alive...IT'S ALIVE!!!"

Toy Ranch

• Army Administrator
  • d
  • Monster Geek
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:20:04 AM »
Sometimes, but more frequently they are trying to make money.  For them, it's fairly low-risk, because they are usually Eastern European and are pretty insulated from the FBI, etc.  If they gain access to your passwords, etc. they can use them to steal your identity and your money.  If they get a trojan virus on your computer, they can log all of your keystrokes, as you sign in to your bank account online, etc.  Most financial institutions have ways to prevent this.  They log your IP address, and if you try to access your account from a computer you haven't used before, you will have to answer questions that the scammer doesn't have answers to.  But if you're a computer whiz, you can't get paid much in your country, but if you spread enough trojans and such you can find ways to take more money from others than you can earn on your own, and you are a crook....  it's your most viable option.  It doesn't take many troublemakers to cause a lot of trouble, but it does take a lot of people not keeping their protection software up to date to give them the ability to do it.