Author Topic: Toy Island monster figures  (Read 3215 times)

Gasport

• Sergeant
  • pull my finger...
Toy Island monster figures
« on: April 19, 2008, 07:38:34 PM »
Just want to get the word out that i found the Toy Island Uni-Monster figures at a K B outlet store here on Long Island today. They were selling for only $7.98 a piece AND every 3 figures you buy gets you a 4th one FREE! Needless to say, i pretty much wiped out their inventory .[two complete sets and a few stray extras] Perfect timing ,as my good friend's Bday is next month and i had pretty much given up on finding him a complete set at a decent price. I was actually out scouting toy stores for that new Hot Wheels Batmobile that i saw posted here. I struck out on that count, but nearly FELL OVER at the sight of the Toy Island find. It's been SO LONG since i've seen anything of interest monster-wise at any regular toy stores/departments that i had all but given up. So get out there and check your local KB this weekend...GOOD LUCK!

Dr.Terror

• Sergeant
  • Welcome to my House of Horrors
Re: Toy Island monster figures
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:52:30 PM »
I saw these today at my local KB.  Couldn't pass up that deal, they really are very cool figures.

I wondered why I saw so many figs on Ebay lately.  Looks like the scalpers are already buying them all up and trying to sell them on ebay.  I left the remainder at the store so some lucky kid can have a chance to own a Creature or Frankensetin.
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

m_binion

• New Recruit
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:39:50 PM »
I was finally able to get my set thanks to this thread. They have that deal on with those special price tags where you buy 3 items with that tag and get the fourth free. All 5 with tax was $34 and change.

Thanks for the heads up.  ;D

Gasport

• Sergeant
  • pull my finger...
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 11:53:35 PM »
YES!! Congrats to all who benefited from my post. Finding something like this is one of those magical purchases that stays with you ,like when you saw that first shelf load of original Aurora long box kits stacked one on top of the other at your local 5 & 10 [In my case Syosset, NY . 1962 at Nationals 5&10]  I lived only a few miles from the Westbury, NY Location of the original Aurora factory, so ALL the local shops were well stocked with EVERY Mind blowingly COOL kit that they ever produced!  Did we ever REALLY appreciate how good we had it back then?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 12:10:10 AM by Gasport »

NekroDave

• Inactive
    • CollectionDX
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:02:08 PM »
Am I the only one who really doesn't like these figures? My friend tried to actually give me the Mummy and I made sure to *accidentally* leave it behind at his house.  I thought the face on that thing looked more like Anthony Perkins than anyone else.

gracebuster

• Sergeant Major
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 03:46:36 PM »
Well, that makes sense...PERKINS did have a "MUMMY" fixation!

Gasport

• Sergeant
  • pull my finger...
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 05:44:54 PM »
I wasn't crazy about these figures either initially, but turning around in that toy store and seeing a couple of cases worth of them on display changed my mind. Also the fact that we are all SO STARVED for anything Universal monster related as far as retail stores go. It was more along the lines of an offer i couldn't refuse! While the Toy Island Creature certainly pales in comparison to the Sideshow version, it STILL is a very cool looking toy.

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:37:43 AM »
Am I the only one who really doesn't like these figures? My friend tried to actually give me the Mummy and I made sure to *accidentally* leave it behind at his house.  I thought the face on that thing looked more like Anthony Perkins than anyone else.

I avoided these figures when they were first released. They just didn't float my boat enough after owning the more inferior Sideshow figures. BUT .. upon finding them at TRU, I relinquished and bought the complete set. I found that they actually looked better when removed from the packaging and displayed with their dioramas. They're not museum renditions by any means, but they do make for some pretty darn cool monster toys at a cheap price!
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

michblk

• Sergeant
  • Brian K
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 09:57:50 AM »
I just picked up the rest as I already had a Creature! (Thanks to a UMA Member).  For $8, I guess the price was right!  Plus when I bought the 3 I recieved my 4th one free.

BK
"There is something wrong with us, very, very wrong with us"
Bill Murray - Stripes

LonMadnight

• New Recruit
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 09:17:45 AM »
They do display very well. I think we all got kind of spoiled by the superior sculpts of the Sideshows. I'm only sorry the Jakks Pacific line didn't continue. The prototype Creature they had was beautiful, and they planned to do figures like Bela from "Frankenstien Meets the Wolfman". He was even going to be packed in "ice"!

Kay Bee has recently been selling year-old stock. some of DC comics' DC DIRECT line have been turning up.

Maybe we'll yet see a line of Unimonster figs that are great-looking AND have a high degree of playability. (Sideshows, for all their beauty are really not great toys. They are however, incredible statuettes.)
I still think some enterprising toy company should do a line of Horror-host figures. I'd love to have hosts past and present to set beside my Universals. Amok Time is doing a Zacherley, but man, I'd LOVE to see Vampira, Ghoulardi, Morgus, Dr. Shock. In modern times, Professor Griffin, Penny Dreadful, Dr. Gangrene, All those characters would make for incredible figures.

Okay, I'm awake now.

jimm

• Sergeant
  • The Foom Abides!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 09:34:49 AM »
Dang, mine doesnt have em yet, have creat, need the rest and that big frankenstein!