Author Topic: Ten Things About You  (Read 23714 times)

Scatter

• Sergeant
Re: Ten Things About You
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 11:10:36 PM »
Scatter, I *knew* you were one righteous dude!!   ;D

Backatcha brotha!!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 11:14:12 PM »
"Firstly Craig, as an avid Keaton fan I'm begging you to expound on the check story."

Scat-

I met Patty Tobias at a FILM FORUM Keaton fest years ago, when she was just starting her fan group, "The Damfinos." Hearing that I was a classic radio fan, she asked if I knew of copies of Buster's rare radio appearances. I didn't, but said that as a member I'd call AFTRA and see if they had any record of it.

They didn't - but said, "Hey, do you know how to contact Buster's widow? There's a small residual check here for him." Through Patty, I got that to Eleanor (who has since died herself, I think.)

Best,
-Craig

P.S. - And just recently, I finally found the radio show itself for Patty!

Cool!! Thanks Craig!! Keaton was pure genius. Goodness only knows what more he could have given us had he been able to finance and produce his own films like Chaplin (rather than having the Studios sticking their decidedly un-funny noses into his later work).
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Elisabeth

• Sergeant
  • "...Oh, Heaven...what is this?"
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 05:26:42 AM »
Hello, All...

I'm Left handed, and a MEGA-KLUTZ
An Anglican
A retired Library Worker who reads everything I can get my hands on.

I ADORE cats, and regularly donate bags of cat chow to the local shelter
I'm absolutely terrified of any kind of worm or catapillar or grub, and could probably outshriek Elsa Lanchester and Una O'Connor combined
I drink tons of black coffee, love Chinese and Thai food and use Vietnamese Chili Sauce instead of Ketchup

I love to write, collect photographs, and regularly sketch the PROJECT RUNWAY Challenges.  I am also, unfortunately, a packrat.
I have a liking for Liturgical Needlepoint, and once worked on my church's kneelers..(the backgrounds)
I dress like an old-time beatnick, go barefoot and am a gentle combination of Southern California Democrat and British Monarchist.  (meaning that I get cheesed off a lot, but am extremely decorous about how I express it.)

My not so secret wish is to get a genuine Colin Clive autograph before I die.....after which I shall get it from the original source.  (smile)
"E"
"....I do hope he won't upset Henry..."

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 04:26:09 PM »
This is a very interesting thread! Great stuff here. My turn:

1. Created the UMA on November 6th, 2002. My life has never been the same since.

2. I'm 48 yrs old. Happily married for 13 yrs with two wonderful boys 11 and 5 yrs old. Staying married has had its challenges though.

3. I used to live the rock-n-roll life back in the late 80's. I was a lead vocalist in a shock rock band named Vile and then Mondo Trasho.  Played hard, drank hard, and fell hard before finally hanging it up in 1997. Saved by the Grace of God in 2001.

4. I'm a mall walker sometimes walking 4 - 6 miles every morning at the Mall Of America.

5. I own my own company in the lawn and landscaping trade.

6. I love watching the NBA despite all of its blemishes and some of the overpaid hoodlums. Longtime Lakers fan! Still hoping the Timberwolves will compete one day with the rest of the playoff teams.

7. Drink my coffee black, am addicted to TAB soda pop, and appreciate a fine handcrafted ale usually every night.

8. Love sushi, love Mexican food, love McDonald's on occasion (filet-o-fish rocks!), and appreciate fine dining at expensive restaurants (when I can afford it).

9. I hate Minnesota winters and I hate snow. Would trade places with Scatter anytime. Gimme some of that Florida humidity you loathe!  ;)

10. I occasionally like to retreat into my man-cave for weeks at a time. Can be a loner at times. Then suddenly .. I need to be around people again. I'm weird like that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 05:14:57 PM by fmofmpls »
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Dr.Teufel Geist

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 07:09:32 PM »
9. I hate Minnesota winters and I hate snow. Would trade places with Scatter anytime. Gimme some of that Florida humidity you loathe! 

Finally, another person who Hates snow....  :laugh:  which I must add, it' supposed to snow this wknd here...whoopee whoopee yay :(

Illoman

• Sergeant
    • Peel the Paint
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »

10. I occasionally like to retreat into my man-cave for weeks at a time. Can be a loner at times. Then suddenly .. I need to be around people again. I'm weird like that.

Terry, working in retail makes me hate everybody most of the time! LOL!!! That's why I so appreciate my cyber buddies: you guys and gals are *almost* real!  ;)
Disappearing into a man cave for weeks on end sounds like heaven to me!!

Unknown Primate

• Sergeant
  • Legend of Wildcat Creek
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 10:53:50 PM »
I've noticed that several UMA members are left-handed - if it's true that a lot of left-hamded people are geniuses, that says something about this great army.

I'm wrong-handed, by the way...
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

Uncula

• Sergeant
  • Any one want to go out for a bite?
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 02:15:36 AM »
I've noticed that several UMA members are left-handed - if it's true that a lot of left-hamded people are geniuses, that says something about this great army.

I'm wrong-handed, by the way...

;D Is that a "Left Handed" pat on the back, UP?  LOL  ::)  ::)  thrhrt

thrhrt I have thought a lot about people who are left-handed and how a larger percentage of them are geniuses; compared to how a smaller percentage of right-handed people are geniuses.

My conclusion is based in a large part on two major points which I've observed:
     1.  Many people who are left-handed are dyslexic or they see written letters in reverse order such as - they may see the word "drum" but understand its spelling as "durm".
     2.  Many "left-handeds" have trouble performing tasks in an "ordinary" manner i.e. when writting in "script" they usually can't write in a forward slant but have a backwards slant.
These points remind me of the old addage that says, "Those who can, DO!  Those who can't do. TEACH!!"
In other words, if you find fulfilment in your ability to do things in an "ordinary manner", then you live out your life producing things like:
     1.  By going into manufacturing
     2.  Becoming a Draftsman
     3.  Go into movie/TV production by becoming a Grip, Best Boy etc.
Those who can't do things in an "ordinary" manner find fulfillment in "inventing" things like:
     1.  Designing manufacturing processes so that cars can get better milage, are more appealing to people and cost less for the manufacturer
     2.  Plot the stars and predict stellar movement and the formation of nebula
     3.  Become a fiction writer an invent a "new world" from nothing to something, or a Director and see a vision of the screenplay that resonates with the audience

This is my conclusion.  It might be right or....it might be a wrong premise or conclusion entirely.  thrhrt  ???
The children of the night.  What music they make!

Uncula

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 02:37:35 AM »
This is a very interesting thread! Great stuff here. My turn:

9. I hate Minnesota winters and I hate snow. Would trade places with Scatter anytime. Gimme some of that Florida humidity you loathe!  ;)

:o Unless your serious, don't ask him or he might show up tomorrow with a moving van!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  thrhrt

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 03:31:02 AM »
Number one....First and foremost I am a nerd. But, my Beautiful Wife always says I am a hot nerd. Lol.
2. In have been playing drums since I was thirteen, and which I was influenced by KISS, BOWIE and ALICE COOPER.
3. I was born in upstate N.Y., Rochester.
4. Collecting any vintage pin-up photos are another obsession I have, besides the countless other obsessions.
5. I love the color(s) black, orange and lime green. But, I always wear black, and, no, I am not goth. :D
6. My Wife is my closest best friend, and will always be.
7. The holy grail of my collectibles, is a KISS pinball machine.
8. I prefer UNIVERSAL STUDIOS over Disneyland.
9. People who say " theses ones" annoy the crap out of me.
10. My secret career obsession is to be a voice-over actor.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Uncula

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 08:56:30 AM »

Mine too, Marsattacks666!
"My secret career obsession is to be a voice-over actor."

8) Great choice. I just wish I could figure out how to start!  I P.M.ed Joe Moe and he gave some good advice but so far, I'm out of luck.  :'(   thrhrt

hammerfan

• Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
1. I was not born in the US
2. I lived in Tokyo when I was a kid
3. I been wounded in combat  twice
4. ! have 3 evil cats
5. i have traveled to over 100 countries
6. I speak French and Spanish
7. I have every Aurora figure kit either boxed or built up
8. I have every Billiken figure kit boxed
9. I collect tikis and Hawaiiana
10. I make a mean mai Tai
Have the Lambs stopped screaming Clarice?....Dr. Lector

Moonshadow

• Sergeant
    • Bronze Age Babies
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 11:05:16 AM »
    Mine too, Marsattacks666!
"My secret career obsession is to be a voice-over actor."

8) Great choice. I just wish I could figure out how to start!  I P.M.ed Joe Moe and he gave some good advice but so far, I'm out of luck.  :'(   thrhrt

I just wanted to throw my two-cents in here (and that's about all my advice is worth!): I studied voice acting in San Francisco for about a year at a professional studio. While I learned a lot, I eventually came to feel I was being scammed, as the teacher/owner kept telling me I was almost ready to make my demo, but would then suggest another $300+ class to take. This was happening to many of us, and between the cost and the frustration, I quit. I sort of wish I hadn't now!

But the thing is, with the improvements in technology, you may be able to make your own high-quality demo. One of the things you should try to figure out before you do so, is what type of voice talent are you? Is your voice best suited to doing characters, like for cartoons or video games? Do you have the kind of natural, smooth voice that works well in narrating movies, or reading books? Can you do a little of both? Figure out what your key market is and shape your demo to that.

If you can work with someone to refine your abilities, to teach you how to breathe in front of the mic, how to respond to direction, how to pump up or pull back your performance, that would be very useful. Even regular acting classes are helpful in this regard. There are a few books on the market but nothing beats one on one feedback.

The video game market is a great place for character VO actors. They need all kinds of voices, from heroic to goofy to non-human. The nice thing is, a lot of work can be done remotely now, so you don't have to travel so much. Look at trade magazines and look online. I've never used any of the online job agencies, but places like voices.com may be helpful.

Now you guys have got me thinking about trying to be a VO actor again!  :)

Dr. Madd

• Sergeant
  • Maker of Monsters
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2011, 02:51:41 AM »
Some of these may already be known about me, but here goes anyway:

1.   I've fallen off a 40 foot bridge and stood up immediately after landing on my back.  My landing pad was a rock-strewn mud puddle, littered with railroad spikes.

2.   I was a Professional Wrestler on & off for several years - I never became famous and did not get rich.

3.   I've been married for 23 years.

4.   I held the Indiana State Benchpress Record (a long time ago) by breaking the record, set by Tom Zupancic, former strength coach for the Indianapolis Colts.

5.   I have an OCD-type deal where I sometimes, time stoplights, commercials, etc.  Plus, I sometimes count my steps as I'm walking.

6.   I once won a body painting contest, held at the Muncie Mall.  Garfield creator, Jim Davis, competed in it also.

7.   I have an unfinished tattoo of KING KONG on my right shoulder/arm.

8.   I love Mexican & Tex/Mex food.

9.   I don't really drink alcohol very often.

10. I've never seen a ghost - at least, I don't think I have...

You wrestled? under what name?
Madd The Impaler-
Undeadlegend

Dr. Madd- The Original- accept no subsitutes.

Dr.Teufel Geist

• Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2011, 03:55:56 AM »

You wrestled? under what name?

Golden Gorilla
The Butcher
Mad Mark Mahoney ( incidently, Mark...I made Mad Mark Mahoney on my last wrestling video game, i had)

is that it, or is there more...I cant remember now. :)