Author Topic: Your Parents' Attitude Towards All Things Monster  (Read 3583 times)

CreepysFan

• Sergeant
  • UNCLE CREEPY
Re: Your Parents' Attitude Towards All Things Monster
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 10:30:36 PM »
 My mother brought me up on Drive-In monster movies, before I attended school. She's also the one who turned me into a Monster-Kid by buying me EERIE #36 (my first horror mag), which started me craving all things monster related. My father on the other hand didn't understand my love for monsters, and couldn't care less. He thought it was crazy. He did give me a 2ft Aurora Tyrannosaurus model for Christmas one year though. Growing up with a monster loving Mom was cool, I was destined to be  a monster-kid.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

BaronLatos35

• Sergeant
  • "Now's the time for scary things..."
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 12:51:56 AM »
BlackLagoon, our mothers were cut from the same cloth regarding music. She was so paranoid about my "devil" music I had to hide my Slayer Reign in Blood tape coming home from the record store. My father couldn't stand it either. He was an Elvis fan and she was a Supremes/Johnny Mathis fan.

However my parents were cool with monsters. My mother tolerated it as a passing childhood fad but she went all out decorating for Halloween. When I came home in Kindergarten with an order form for the book Movie Monsters by Alan Ormsby she paid for it. The book is in my library alongside military history and Cornel West. That is how important that book is to me.

My father took me trick r treating, bought me monster toys and I watched monster movies with him. When the 80's slashers rolled around with Fangoria, that changed. He couldn't stand the "blood and guts" Myers, Jasons and Freddy. He watched Carpenter's The Thing and just said "it's not the original". Old School. Fangoria was banned but I read it anyway, we would watch movies like The Funhouse on the low and thought we were cool. Kids.

I find myself saying similar things about today's state of horror movies. I'm just an old soul in love with the classics. Thanks Mom and Dad for allowing your monsterkid to grow.
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

Illoman

• Sergeant
    • Peel the Paint
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 07:46:37 AM »
My folks usually indulged my monster interests when I was a kid. They let me watch the classics when they came on the teevee, my dad showed me how to draw Dracula out of a Norman Bridwell book, my Mom made me a Dracula cape for Halloween one year (wish I still had that!), and they would let me buy FM and Castle of Frankenstein but if they saw something in it they objected to they'd toss it in the trash, where I'd have to retrieve it! Usually if it was early 70's boobage or scantily clad cave girls, that type of thing. They allowed me to watch the Munsters and Dark Shadows as well, and would buy me merchandise related to these shows for birthdays and Christmas.

Mike

LundyAfterMidnight

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 08:26:52 AM »
Before earning my own spending money, I was an oppressed Monster Kid. An occasional monster mag & Aurora monster kit was a big to-do that I had to practically beg for. So was staying up to watch Creature Feature.

For a long time, my folks didn't get it, always expecting me to outgrow it. Thankfully, those days are long gone & my folks see me as a legit collector & aficionado,  but at times back then I know they thought something was wrong w/me.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

BlackLagoon

• Sergeant
  • Halloween Hammer
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 08:25:55 PM »
BlackLagoon, our mothers were cut from the same cloth regarding music. She was so paranoid about my "devil" music I had to hide my Slayer Reign in Blood tape coming home from the record store. My father couldn't stand it either. He was an Elvis fan and she was a Supremes/Johnny Mathis fan.

"Devil music"--That is all I friggin heard....slowly, I think as I started playing an instrument she loosened her grip. But when I started with the vocals in my late teens? I wasnt allowed to practice in the house..."You sound like a demon!"

The funny thing is with everything..my parents music, what they thought of the "gore" films and stuff? I mean I obviously am still into some of it...but I went right back to the same stuff my parents didn't have a problem with. The classic Universal stuff...and to boot, music they played where I plugged my ears? I find myself owning alot of that stuff now.

But yes...I still love "devil music"
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

LundyAfterMidnight

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »

But yes...I still love "devil music"
My folks were a bit cooler about music. The only verboten album was the Sex Pistols, after my mom saw some bloody pics of Sid Vicious. But, after hearing it,  I bought the LP anyway, still among the most kick ass music I've ever heard.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 02:05:08 AM »

I still love "devil music"

I love DEVIL MUSIC too!  Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf.....etc,etc. Lol!! >:D
Horror and Metal, go hand in hand.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Street Worm

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 05:53:20 AM »
My parent didn't get the Monster thing at all!

But it didn't bother them that I loved 'em...
A trip to the barber shop meant a new monster mag,
bought me the Aurora models as they came out,
even helped me send away for a M-O-N-S-T-E-R Size
Frankenstein poster!  ;D

I'll always remember the day I found the 'Pop-Top Horrors'
(all on one card) in a store called GEM & them buying them
for me...

For some reason my mom didn't like 'Mad' & (especially) 'Cracked'-
she didn't stop me from getting them, though~

Monster Kid

• Corporal
  • I may look ordinary; I am really a mad scientist.
    • Deborah Painter's Writing News
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 08:52:51 AM »
My mom put up with us watching Ronald the Ghoul on Shock Theater on WVEC TV.  At first she had reservations about my older sister and I watching monster movies but when she saw that they no detrimental effect, made cookies for us and let us stay up late each Friday night so we could see Ronald and  the Cool Ghoul.  My father seemed bemused by it all.  I recall once that I was so taken with Mighty Joe Young after seeing the film on Shock Theater that I wrote a "filmbook" of sorts complete with drawings of characters and situations.  I drew all the characters except Joe and, knowing what an artist and sculptor my father was, asked him if he could draw the gorilla (I could not draw apes.)  He did the nightclub contest with the heavyweight champions, Joe holding up Jill and the piano, and the cowboy roping Joe.

I have no childhood memories of Famous Monsters of Filmland or any of the other monster magazines but was a regular reader of The Munsters comics, and Orrible Orvie and Awful Annie comics.  So I had a fairly monster filled childhood thanks to my parents.   I try to continue the tradition with my niece and nephew.

Opera Ghost

• Sergeant
  • "To my Christine, I am forever Wed"
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 10:52:24 AM »
I hope that this hasn't already been discussed in a previous thread, but I've thought about this a lot.  I know I probably would not be the monster kid that I am today if not for my parents.  My Mom told be stories about the monster movies she had seen in the 30's and 40's.  My Dad always gave me money for the latest FM or CoF.  They bought me all of the Aurora kits (Mom and my brother assembled and painted) and indulged my love for anything horror related.  Ever so often my Mom might become concerned with a Creepy or an Eerie, but it always passed and she was cool with it.  So I'm wondering what were your experiences with your parents when it came to monsters and horror? 

My Mom seemed to be cool with, and catered to my interest similarly. She was very tolerant of the model kits, as it wasn't until early teens that I discovered that the smell of Testors gave her bad headaches and affected her sinuses. I was allowed to watch Ghost Host on Channel 45 WBFF TV in Baltimore on late Saturday nights, so long as I went to sleep early, and set the alarm to get up to watch it.
"In each of us, two natures are at war--the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, and one of them must conquer..."

Wicked Lester

• Sergeant
  • You won't hear me until it's too late!
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 04:50:47 PM »
I had it hard. My P's were pushing mid 40's when I was born and I am the baby of the family. So I had to beg and plead just to watch Creature Features on WGN Chicago because it was past my bed time. No Creepy's Eeries or anything else. I tried to sneak in a copy of Weird when we went shopping. When we got home mom found it before I did , went ballistic and made me tear it up. At least I got to watch classic stuff like King Kong and the 50's B monster stuff on Saturdays. It wasn't until I was in my early teens with the D.C and Marvel horror comics that I was FINALLY able to enjoy monster stuff.
 Then I got into hard rock and heavy metal and that too was yet another battle.

I was complete opposite with my kid. I explained that if this movie me and mom are going to watch is too scary you can leave at anytime. At age 10 she was watching NOTLD/Hell Raiser/Freddy/ Evil Dead etc. By the time she was 13-14 I was turning her on to Goth and Death Metal. Her friends thought that was so cool. "Your dad listens to F'in death metal? ,No Way". Way! >:D

FACTO2

• Sergeant
    • http://www.xofacto.com
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 05:03:04 PM »
Hey, WL, I think we lived the same life.  Grew up in Chicago too and Creature Features was THE BEST.

For me, my parents put up with my love of monsters and indulged it for the most part.  I canít tell you how many times my mother rolled her eyes when I wanted to buy a copy of FM.  But she still bought it for me.  I think they kept hoping Iíd grow out of it.  Oh well.
John Tucky
X-O Facto
http://www.xofacto.com/
"If you go through life without any expectations, youíll never be disappointed."

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 05:05:06 PM »
Hey, WP, I think we lived the same life.  Grew up in Chicago too and Creature Features was THE BEST.

For me, my parents put up with my love of monsters and indulged it for the most part.  I canít tell you how many times my mother rolled her eyes when I wanted to buy a copy of FM.  But she still bought it for me.  I think they kept hoping Iíd grow out of it.  Oh well.

I think we all pretty well shattered that hope for our parents John  ;D
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Opera Ghost

• Sergeant
  • "To my Christine, I am forever Wed"
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 05:12:15 PM »
I think we all pretty well shattered that hope for our parents John  ;D

I went through a bout of nightmares for about a year, in 67 or 68, so I was cut off from Dark Shadows and Monsters for about that time frame. I think it began with the Cliff Robertson Ventriloquist episode of TZ.
"In each of us, two natures are at war--the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, and one of them must conquer..."

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 05:13:05 PM »
I went through a bout of nightmares for about a year, in 67 or 68, so I was cut off from Dark Shadows and Monsters for about that time frame. I think it began with the Cliff Robertson Ventriloquist episode of TZ.

Yeah, that was a good one!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html