Author Topic: Your Parents' Attitude Towards All Things Monster  (Read 3572 times)

RICKH

• Sergeant
Your Parents' Attitude Towards All Things Monster
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:00:23 AM »
I hope that this hasn't already been discussed in a previous thread, but I've thought about this a lot.  I know I probably would not be the monster kid that I am today if not for my parents.  My Mom told be stories about the monster movies she had seen in the 30's and 40's.  My Dad always gave me money for the latest FM or CoF.  They bought me all of the Aurora kits (Mom and my brother assembled and painted) and indulged my love for anything horror related.  Ever so often my Mom might become concerned with a Creepy or an Eerie, but it always passed and she was cool with it.  So I'm wondering what were your experiences with your parents when it came to monsters and horror? 
You can't kill the boogeyman.  Halloween (1978)

Sean

• Sergeant
  • The Godfather of Gore
Re: Your Parents' Attitude Towards All Things Monster
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:12:28 AM »
I think a similar discussion evolved from a different thread, whether the thread's main focus was this or not.... no matter.  It's fun to discuss. 

My parents always decorated for Halloween and took my sister and I to parades and helped us make the basement into a nickel Spook House when we were kids.  They bought me Aurora Models and drew monsters with me and helped me with makeup and always bought us cool stuff.

thelatewinslowleach

• Sergeant
  • An old soul
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:42:30 AM »
Great topic...
My Mom was a fan, not as rabid as I turned out to be, but a fan of horror and good Sci-Fi. She always told me how her favorites from the '50s, her teen years , were "The Thing" and "House of Wax". Mom always took me to about every Hammer film that came through our small town theater and occasionally the drive-in. I have been a Hammer addict ever since. (Dad would go with us to the drive-in and sleep through it all.) We also saw many other horror flicks including "Deadly Bees", "The Vulture" and even "Brides of Blood"!!! Of course, we also saw about every Disney film as well, which often appealed to the budding horror fan, such as "Scarecrow of Romney Marsh". Mom also got me hooked on Dark Shadows, we both watched it through the whole first  b&w year before Barnabas, and there's some good stuff there, especially the ghosts. Dad never cared for the stuff, he was a crime and western fan, but always loved movies anyway. Mom bought me my first Famous Monsters, # 45, when I was sick in the hospital. My room was always full of monster kid stuff, so neither parent minded indulging me on Aurora models or other toys, like the Marx figures. So, I am the monster kid I am today because of her, thanks Mom!. She continues to be a horror film fan, I remember her coming to visit me at college , so we could see the Frank Langella "Dracula."  Mom only drew the line after "House of Dark Shadows"which she felt was too gory, so from 1970-1972 I didn't see anything that wasn't "G". (I was 10-12 then). When I turned 13, it was go see what you want again. Sadly, I missed seeing "Phibes" in the theater and most Hammer films were now "R". Luckily, we had Shock Theater from 1970-1975 by then.       
     My maternal grandparents were pretty big movies fans, and I loved listening to there stories of going to movies in the 1920s and 1930s. My grandfather even used to say that his favorites were Tom Mix, Wallace Beery and Lon Chaney (Sr). He had worked in a silent theater. My grandmother well remembered they both loved to go to the Universal films, and "...had to drive all the way to Lawrenceville, 30 miles away to see Frankenstein when it was new." She remarked that Lugosi was considered quite handsome in his day and was to many "the new Valentino." She stayed with me a few weeks when I was in my thirties and I will always remember how much she like AMC when she discovered it, when it was more like TCM than it is now. One of my best memories was he watching the Claude Rains "Phantom" and going "I always liked this one..." Her favorite actress was Norma Shearer. :)

The only person in the family who ever objected to the horror films was my Aunt, my Dad's sister. When she finally had a son, he got into horror as much as any kid, and now she has to sit through her grandkids playing those zombie kill video games, lol.
        Michael

My music is for Phoenix. Only she can sing it. Anyone else who tries, dies.

ChattyLMS

• Sergeant
  • I'm so cute!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 09:58:55 AM »
Good thread!
Michael, I'm from your are.  My parents were neither for it or against it.  They gave me a "Fright Factory Thingmaker" for my birthday when I was in 4th grade.  They gave me the game, "Ca-bala" ( I'm pretty sure that is the wrong spelling).  They let us watch Sir Graves Ghastly and then the Ghoul.  I watch the Sci Fi movies that were on after 11:00 pm when I'd babysit.  They'd listen (mostly my dad that is) to my descriptions the next morning.  My dad had a lot more patience with us than my mom.

Last summer when I went to visit my mom in PA, I told her I was going to meet Mr and Mrs Drunken Severed Head for coffee in the evening.  I did get some funny looks from her until I explained.... 
Laura ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Moonshadow

• Sergeant
    • Bronze Age Babies
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 11:03:12 AM »
My Mom was the one who really encouraged me and my my brother to enjoy fantasy, horror, science fiction. She had a very childlike sense of wonder, and was incredibly creative - I've already discussed her cool birthday cakes in another thread (http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=9683.0). She introduced me to the Universal films, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, and so forth.

Dad on the other hand has always been a very pragmatic, grounded guy, so he could never understand my obsession with monsters, aliens, comics...but he was never too critical about it.

Funny story: when I was 6 years old, our teacher told us to draw a picture of our family. Well, since my father was tall, with a flat-top, crew cut hairstyle, and a tall forehead, to me he looked a lot like Frankenstein's Monster (who I loved of course). So in my drawing there was me, my brother, my Mom -and Frankenstein! This alarmed the teacher, and the next thing I knew I was whisked down to the nurse's office. A bit later, my Mom arrived, and the teacher came in and said something like "I'm concerned over this drawing Karen made. This is how she sees her father." She showed my mom the drawing and she burst into laughter. "Yes, that does look like my husband!" she said. Mom explained about Dad's hair, that I loved Frankenstein, etc, and all was well!

charp13

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 12:05:12 PM »
I LOVE this!  My paternal Grandmama had cable in the 70s- YES cable  channel 50- in Michigan! I spent a lot of time with her, so she was my MONSTER connection. Much like thelatewinslowleach's Grandma, mine remarked how handsome the actors were and read all the movie magazines of the day. She especially loved Claude Rains, and would say "Ooh LaLa", when he turned his face to the camera   :)  Her COLOR TV  had all the cool shows including- Twiglight Zone, Outer Limits, Munsters, Addams Family, etc. So I watched it for hours on end. Since she lived in an upper floor apt., there was nothing else to do anyway. But at home, I watched Sir Graves Ghastly on Saturdays- with what's his name- The GLOB?

Monster Bob

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »

Mom turned me on to Monster movies, toys and Aurora models (and robots and superheroes) at a young age.

Dad didn't care/get involved.

Grandpa hated monsters and wished I'd grow up.

Grandma used to "sneak" me Monster stuff.

Thanks, Grandma!

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
  • "The Monster was the best friend I ever had."
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 02:16:18 PM »
My dad wasn't particularly a horror/sci-fi fan, but loved movies.  He took me to the local drive-in in summer and we ate sandwiches and drank Cokes and watched the INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and all manner of giant bigs.  My mom was a movie fan, but preferred Jean Harlow and Mae West to the monster people, but she enjoyed seeing Vincent Price on the RED SKELTON SHOW and she developed a fondness for Karloff as she got older. 
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

RICKH

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 04:06:44 PM »
Back in the day when Dark Shadows came on at 3:00 in the afternoon (here in Western Kentucky), my Mom would have the show on the tv in the living room waiting for me.  I didn't get out of school until 3:00 and then had to ride the  bus home.  The bus wouldn't go to my house, but stopped at the end of the road where my house was located.  I had to run a quarter of a mile to get to the house and see what remained of the show.  Mom always made sure that I got to see Barnabas, Quentin and Angelique!

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »
Great discussion/topic. :D

The Monster Kid takeover or influence started very young for me. I grew up in small city of New York state. 
My Mother and Grandmother were Monster/Sci-Fi nerds, lovers of the genre(s). I would stay up late with my family watching
Chiller Theatre, transfixed at the television. Monsters and aliens via the boob-tube. My family always
bought me Monster related toys, games, etc. Birthdays, or other Holidays.
 My first Monster toy was a AHI Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster.
I remember those AHI action figures/dolls vividly, like it was yesterday. Seemed so long ago.

Later as I became older, my Father and I would build Aurora model kits. Our first kit together was
the Phantom of the Opera. As time went on, I went crazy with Horror and Science Fiction. My
Mom was always a huge supporter toward(s) my Monster obsession. She really had a hand in the
Monster influence through out my life and loves Monsters as equally as I do. My step Father is a
Model/Kit building Hobbyist, and always builds or sends me Monster models all the time.

I have to say, I am extremely lucky. I knew many friends who weren't so lucky, and their
parents were not so enthusiastic or supportive.

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

HARRY HAMMOCK

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 06:39:22 PM »
Mine didnt care for it.They often wondered what happened to me and why I was into this stuff.As I aged I never gave them any trouble with drugs drinking or being a trouble maker.I explained thats what monsters did for me and them.

Gasport

• Sergeant
  • pull my finger...
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 08:29:51 PM »
Neither my mom or dad were what you'd call monster fans, although they [thankfully] had no objection to my interest in the subject and never failed to supply me with whatever magazines, models or toys i requested. My older bro is the one responsible for plopping me down in front of our TV to watch Zacherley for the first time. I immediately recognized him from Famous Monsters and was instantly hooked. Never would i EVER have imagined during my misspent youth that one day Zach would actually become a good friend of mine... How'd i ever get so lucky? Gotta admit, i get SUCH a kick when he calls and my mom [who lives with us] picks up. They're pretty close in age and sometimes he talks with her longer than he does to me...It's like an episode from the Twilight Zone. I LOVE IT!!

BlackLagoon

• Sergeant
  • Halloween Hammer
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 08:47:07 PM »
Great thread!!

My grandmother's house is what got me into monster movies. I have nothing but good, safe, warm thoughts of growing up in that house as much as my own. Thanksgivings watching King Kong...playing with my Remco monsters and reading comic books till late at night while my grandma watched Twilight Zone and sipped her coffee...and rummaging through my uncle's closets to find half built and burnt Aurora models, fragmented Megos and stacks of comics...all got me off on the right foot.

It then led to me being in middle school and getting into that "mature collector" phase, where all the sudden I had shelves where my Remco Monsters, Super Hero statues and Dinosaur models were "displayed"...not..."played with".

Now--here it comes...once I got into the Fangoria, "80's" slasher stuff? Mom and dad were NOT feeling that....I wasn't allowed to watch Jason, Freddy, Michael...etc. I mean I did, but it was when I stayed with my Uncle on the weekends.

That was around the time mom got into this thing where with my allowance I was able to go to Record Town and get a tape once a week...but then she would read the lyrics and if it didn't fly?...No can do. So, essentially we had to make 2 trips to the music store because between Slayer and Judas Priest...it wasnt happening. And that was the dumbest friggin thing that ever happened.

I finally wised up and asked my dad to take me to the record store...where I also bought Fangoria. His philosphy was "I'm sure its no big deal, and he could be into alot worse"....Good dude that guy was.
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

RICKH

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 09:19:37 PM »
My Mom is 89 and lives just up the road from me.  When I go see her she asks me what I've been doing and I tell her, "I've been painting monster pictures" or "I've been building monster models."  She'll always laugh and say, "When are you ever going to grow up?"  I tell her "I'm 55 years old and I hope I never grow up."  I'm sure my wife wonders the same thing!  Both are wonderful women...I've been blessed.

Gillfan

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 10:13:30 PM »
My parents were both monster fans, my dad more the older stuff, my Ma the newer stuff.

When we went to the movies my Mother would take me to see Disney films and the like, mt dad would take me to see Sci-Fi, but both would join forces to see horror films with me.

Ma had a special love for Hammer Dracula films as well as Hercules movies. Sometimes channel 9 or 11 in NJ would have a Sunday marathon and my Ma would not only let me watch tv all day non-stop,  she would join me. Often we would order pizza. My Dad would often spend Sundays tinkering in his workshop on a project, but usually the lure of Hammer was too great to resist and by 1 or 2 he'd be sitting in the living room with us.

Those were very happy times and I miss them, and I am a bit sad I'll never have children of my own to share that experience with.