Author Topic: Random "pic a day" thread!  (Read 8986 times)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
Re: Random "pic a day" thread!
« Reply #480 on: December 05, 2017, 11:57:12 AM »
Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's Mysterion is my all-time favourite custom car:

cl:)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:12:00 PM by Hepcat »
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #481 on: December 05, 2017, 12:01:24 PM »
Montreal is a highly prospective locale for finding establishments seemingly lost in time such as Wilensky's Light Lunch:

I believe the beverage above is an egg cream! They're tough to find these days.

8)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:13:53 PM by Hepcat »

Kidagain

• Sergeant
« Reply #482 on: December 05, 2017, 05:04:11 PM »
I'll have what that person is having!

Sean

• Sergeant
  • The Godfather of Gore
« Reply #483 on: December 05, 2017, 06:15:59 PM »
Montreal is a highly prospective locale for finding establishments seemingly lost in time such as Wilensky's Light Lunch:

I believe the beverage above is an egg cream! They're tough to find these days.

8)

Do they deliver?  Looks good, Hep.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #484 on: December 05, 2017, 08:33:31 PM »
I'm not sure about delivery, but Wilensky's does a thriving take-out business. They have to since they only have ten stools at the counter and no tables!

8)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:11:07 PM by Hepcat »

Sean

• Sergeant
  • The Godfather of Gore
« Reply #485 on: December 05, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »
I'm not sure about delivery, but Wilensky's does a thriving take-out business. They have to since they only have ten stools at the counter and no tables!

8)

Lol!!  😂

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #486 on: December 06, 2017, 10:47:20 AM »
Interesting that Wilensky's is located just a block or so away from another Montreal institution, Fairmount Bagel:

8)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:10:11 AM by Mike Scott »

Sean

• Sergeant
  • The Godfather of Gore
« Reply #487 on: December 06, 2017, 08:09:19 PM »
Interesting that Wilensky's is located just a block or so away from another Montreal institution, Fairmount Bagel:

8)

Hep, how are the bagels there?  I find that in the US, the further I get from NYC, the worse the bagels get.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:09:24 AM by Mike Scott »

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #488 on: December 07, 2017, 05:32:47 PM »
Hah! You know you've unwittingly stirred up a hornet's nest of controversy with that statement and inquiry. You see Montreal bagels and New York bagels are derived from two different old-country bagel making traditions:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Montreal bagels, like the similarly shaped New York bagel, were brought to North America by Jewish immigrants from Poland and other Eastern European countries; the differences in texture and taste reflect the style of the particular area in Poland in which the immigrant bakers learned their trade.

Montreal bagels are always baked in a wood-fired oven and Montreal bagels are smaller, thinner, sweeter, denser and less regularly shaped with a larger hole than New York bagels. Each tradition has its own hardened supporters who sneer at the other. The diaspora of anglophones in the last forty years from Montreal throughout the rest of Canada has spread the gospel of Montreal bagels not only across Canada but as far as Los Angeles. Bagels in Canada are oft touted as "Montreal bagels", and almost as often this turns out to be little better than an outright fabrication.

Moreover Montreal itself is divided into two warring camps; those who swear by the intrinsic superiority of Fairmount bagels, and those who equally ardently extol the merits of St.-Viateur's bagels from the exact same neighbourhood:

Both bakeries are open 24 hours and have for decades been drawing line-ups out onto the street weekend mornings even in the dead of winter! St.-Viateur actually had to resort to opening a second shop just half a block across the street to handle the overflow of customers.

8)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:58:22 PM by Hepcat »

Sean

• Sergeant
  • The Godfather of Gore
« Reply #489 on: December 07, 2017, 09:18:13 PM »
Hah! You know you've unwittingly stirred up a hornet's nest of controversy with that statement and inquiry.

Unwittingly?  You know me better than THAT, Hep.😇

ChristineBCW

• Sergeant
« Reply #490 on: December 07, 2017, 10:03:34 PM »
I love Montreal... we stay on Parc Lafontaine, and walk north and westerly for 10-20 blocks, back and forth.  So many good shop and eateries.  Mille feuilles... oh my.  Lobsters during April and June.

Sean

• Sergeant
  • The Godfather of Gore
« Reply #491 on: December 07, 2017, 11:51:07 PM »
I love Montreal... we stay on Parc Lafontaine, and walk north and westerly for 10-20 blocks, back and forth.  So many good shop and eateries.  Mille feuilles... oh my.  Lobsters during April and June.

Reminds me of why I enjoy Reykjavik.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #492 on: December 08, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »
I love Montreal... we stay on Parc Lafontaine....

Wow! I've not been there. Most definitely have to visit.

So many good shop and eateries.  Mille feuilles... oh my.

Oh indeed!  Mille feuilles are simply exquisite! In downtown Montréal for good chicken and a mille feuille I always try to get to la Rôtisserie St. Hubert at venerable old Windsor Station which from 1889 to 1996 served as Canadian Pacific Railway's head office. The building is an absolute architectural marvel:

What a fabulous spot for an inexpensive meal with a luscious dessert! And just think of how haunted the building must be from all the gruesome killings, hangings and suicides that must have occurred over the years!

I also hate to leave Montréal without stopping into Mr Steer for some strawberry shortcake:

Mr Steer has an excellent downtown location right where all the action is on rue Ste.-Catherine, great diner ambience and food that always hits the spot:

Dig those twin burgers and Suzie Qs!

8)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:10:04 AM by Hepcat »

Sean

• Sergeant
  • The Godfather of Gore
« Reply #493 on: December 10, 2017, 12:06:14 AM »
Hep, is that a peep-show next to Mr. Steer?

ChristineBCW

• Sergeant
« Reply #494 on: December 10, 2017, 09:50:42 AM »
Looks like it... I'm unfamiliar with so much of Montreal but I do love the old castle-buildings all over - well, they're bureaucratic offices, gov't buildings, etc.  I suspect they're not so keen on the inside, by the way - old wiring, plumbing, heating, etc.  The worst thing that visitors do is come to Montreal during the beautiful-weather months, and everything's gleaming and sooo attractive.  AttractING.  Then, when the gray winter months arrive, lordy - gray skies, gray pavement, gray buildings... ugh.

But we've always taken short-timer attitudes: "We're only here for 2 weeks or a month" and that never depressed me.  But I could imagine Bill Murray's GROUNDHOG DAY soliloquoy about "endless days of nothingness" among residents. 

As for bagels and food in general, I love 'em all.  I love the small bakeries whose aromas drag me down a whole block to find, and step inside somewhere warm from a wintry, damp chill and be rewarded with the full, complete, enriching experience.